Hondo's Bar

The Armory

Signal08

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gunny, forgive my talk if I sound like I am baby talking to you with the way I explain things, this is geared toward general readers, while answering your questions.

I used to love the hell out of Sig Sauers. I recommend sigs, as they are simple and good guns. Not flashy, not the most expensive... but they arent cheap.

I owned the Sig 220, along with about 8 other guns... but the 220 is a big ass gun. If you are getting a CCW, I'd get a sub compact. I dont like 9mm all that much, but you need to go with what you are comfortable with. If you go 9, I'd fel out the ,357 then. The .380 is the smaller 9 and the .357 is the bigger 9. All 3 rounds use the same hunk of bullet, the shell (powder/power) is what differs between the 3. .357 is the most accurate version of the 9mm round. Tons of power, and surprisingly the most accurate of the 9 series. Goes through a car door with no issues at all. So my thoughts... go with the .357 if you go with a 9 sized round.

I stand by the .45 cal. I am strictly a self defense preacher though. the .45 hydrashock round is gonna send the bad guy to his ass, and probably his death. The .40 isnt a bad round either, still has more bang than the .22 and 9 series. I got the XD .40 sub compact for 1 reason only, bc they dont make a 45 in subcompact... yet. Once they do, it will trade up for it.

that was the ammo talk, as far as gun talk...

Look into the Walther P380, they are mad cheap at the moment. Look at Kimbers, especially the Ultra Carry 2... my most fav gun, also one of the most expensive at the moment. I'd stay away from Smith and Wesson style guns, unless you are looking into wheel guns aka revolvers. Even though Smith and Walther merged, they are still seperate designs. Stay away from H&K's, in my opinion. Over priced glock wannabes. I'd check into Springfield, as they are what Glocks should be, of course in my opinion. Glocks, are failsafe guns, but dont offer what springfield offers.

Karh makes a good product by word of mouth, but never owned one. Berettas are behind on the times, but their M9 is a good faithful gun. They have a new Px4, and it fires nice for its size. I have never fired a Taurus, but I find them to be Beretta wannabes. Rugers are tough as shit guns, and an awesome brand name, I just never owned one as personal taste in guns.

If you arent gonna carry, get a full sized gun or one that feels full size to your hand (if you have smaller hands) bc if you are gonna use it for home defense, and you need to use it, your mechanics go to shit when your adrenaline peaks and you are having to shoot someone. You want a full size feel in your hand so you dont fumble around with it. So stay away from the pocket guns and neat lil 4 shooters and such. If you are gonna conceal, get a sub compact to compact size. Pocket guns are only neat cuz they are small... they arent neat when shit its the fan.

Don't worry about the talk, while I used to go shooting I never really got much into back then and I"m really new at this now, are there any good magizines I should be picking up? I love to read as much as I can.

The reason I was thinking about a 9mm is aside from carry and home defense I want to go shooting maybe once or twice a month and the cost of ammo it seems that the 9mm is far cheaper plus I was told that .40 and .45 ammo is currently hard to get ahold of due to people making a run on ammo.

The easy was to solve all this is just to buy a few guns, one to carry, one for home defense... etc etc.

thanks again for all the advice.

I am was a member of the NRA, for 1 year. Just on matter of principle, but I am no longer. If you sign up though, you get their mag once a month. They are well rounded on new models, certain politics, and editorials. The thick mag you find in the supermarket is prolly your best read. They tend to cover more about 'just guns'.

Guns and Ammo / GUNS Magazine are really your monopoly mags for gun read. You have hunting mags, but they tend to cover mostly rifles and certain hunting shotguns (leaving out defense shotguns).

You are probably best off looking for gun forums on the internet. There are a few I have browsed, and a few are set up like hondos, but moreso like DD was in the past.

I think having a home defense gun and a carry gun is a wise idea. I would ask a friend(s) who has all of the calibers and or rent all of the calibers at the range first before you set on a caliber choice. I preach the .40 and .45 for defense, but someone else can stand by the 9 and win you over. If you go 9, I still say go with the .357 as the 9x19 isnt as powerful and the .357 proves to be more accurate at any sort of range.

I recommend getting a carry gun first, as you can still defend your castle with a carry gun... whereas you cant carry a full size home defense gun as well. Don't be fooled though, you can conceal any size handgun that you want. It just has to be covered, not 'not detectable'. I have concealed a full size once or twice, but a sub compact makes your life all that much easier.

picked it years ago on yahoo, I just happened to be watch gunsmith cats alot so the rest is history. (it's an anime btw)

I was wondering abou that myself haha.

Didn't shoot today, was way to cold to be touching metal. Once it warms up i'll be back in action!!

Also for Sen and other newbie gun owners- for typical protection and fun, get a .22. seriously that's all you need. 22's are just fun, and they also give you a chance to warm up to owning a gun without the 'OMG I could kill someone' fear. Or a Raven, if you can find one. it makes a pop loud enough and you dont have to worry about killing anyone, unless you point blank shoot in the eye (okay yeah you could still kill someone with a 22 or a Raven, but chances are you would just really hurt someone...or get them out of your way).

I have a 454, and a 480, would NEVER recommend it to anyone unless they are a big game hunter.

(same with 45 cal. no need unless you want to seriously injure or kill someone/something!)

you can't go wrong with a 357, and you can find them anywhere, in almost any type of gun, as they are pretty popular.

(once again, this cal is not to be messed with EVER.)

there are tons of accessories, look for forums designed for the gun you want to buy BEFORE you buy it. It can get pretty pricey, also it's a good way to find out how accurate they are as a product, and how well they handle as a PPF (personal protection firearm).

erm, on more thing- join the NRA, they have LOADS of info for new gun owners, such as indivdual state laws, and do hundreds of reviews a year on new and old products, and keep you updated on new laws.

Recapping what I said earlier for the first time gun buyer.

I think your best buy right now for the gun is the Springfield XD 40 sub-compact like mine (or 9mm)... or Glock. They jam the least, are one of the cheaper to middle of the road in gun price with very good quality. Springfield comes with so many extras too, the holster, mag holder, and speed loader. They did that just to force Glock into doing more, which they havent yet. I'd tell ya to get a Kimber, but they are way to expensive. Stay away from H&K (overpriced glock wannabes).

Sigs are great guns but pricey, and Smiths arent what they used to be. I'd go with a Walther before I went with a Smith (in the semi autos cat) Smith makes a great wheel gun though.

I dont know enough about the Taurus or Kahr to speak either direction about them.

How much did you pay sig?

I really like the xd series, outside the sub compact I was also looking at the XDm which is a little bigger.

I"m still leaning toward 9mm mostly do due ammo cost and availability(I was thinking of maybe doing some of that tactical shooting stuff as that looks neat) and get a 40 or 45 for my second gun.

Just a question. If I go to the States later on this year will I be allowed under law to go to a shooting range even though I'm not a US citizen? In Ireland its a very difficult process to get a gun licence if your not in the military or police (the majority of our cops aren't armed though) but its possible. In Oz I hear its damn near impossible unless your a soldier or cop too.

• 8 months later...

you ownz it Dr?

I had an AR, an Olympic Arms, had the pic rail/heat railing, with the colapsable stock as yours shows, but it didn't have the added grip on the front. Sadly, I sold it, but I did get more than I paid for it! I will end up with another one down the line.

^ i do own it :misty: her name is Zed, but we call her Z for short. front grip and red dot sight were add ons. came with three clips. next a weighted grip, she's a bit heavy in the front, but the slide on panels you see in the front also came with it and can be removed. i need a bi-pod for it, and some zombies muhaha.

total weight about 7 lbs.

torture tested at 20,000 + rounds and it didn't fault once.

piston driven man...once you go gas you never go back.

shoots both .556 and .223, and i can convert to a .22 if i feel like go lightweight, or i just get bored someday.

sights and other acces. go for about 400.00 alone if bought separate, but came with it. a steal at about 1200.00 to 1400.00 but the dealers are stripping them to make profits on the panels and sights.

shot with .223 -

Front-

100_1151.jpg

Back-

100_1152.jpg

Archived