Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comic Shop

The NZA

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All y'alls got it all wrong. Ya need to offer something no other comic book shop has. A bar. Get an alcohcol license and serve drinks.

...did you even read the thread?

there's a lot i think you (and 2T?) arent thinking about here.

1) there's a lot of things were looking to offer that others dont.

2) I mentioned the massive expenses of a prime location; you want to couple that iwth a liqour licnese that costs six figures to obtain, nevertheless maintain?

3) we open up to the thread of underage drinking shutting the whole thing down.

4) prolly more importatnly, we rule out the younger crowd, which was part of what we wanted in there and reading books.

So, high school kids cant be there for social events at night (which can be argued as a pro and a con, granted) but in general, arent we kind of shooting ourselves in the foot with the generation we're hoping to get involved & want to keep the art form going as well?

I could be wrong, i just think "bar" is a cheap answer that takes more thought.

arc - i like your amazon idea, tho we'd have to have expanded and have some serious backstock to warrant that. but yeah, no dobut, a website (like Sen said too) is a great idea...oh look, ive already got one. I could just use a side page or something.

sen - thanks for the ideas too. again tho, its prolly gonna have to be not just my joint; reasonably, id most likely need other owners to get it started.

l'obo - i apprecaite the offer, and again itd be cool to have stuff onna walls like our art gellery here. Its not so much desperation as a socilological kinda experiement tho, i think.

Ly - Yeah, that's exactly what i was concerned about, thanks for the heads-up.

keep it comin people, its an ongoing idea.

Ooooh, I'm Thomas Aquinas! I made an entire career or reading Aristotle and transcribing it with sprinklings of Catholic rhetoric and I got canonized for it! I'm so special!

And for the record, Benny left from a combination of WoW addiction and me repeatly calling the Pope a Nazi.

Comic book readers have a tendency to want to read comics for free. Because of this, you will need a gimmick to loosen up their wallets. I recommend scandally clad buxom female employees that make money off comission.

And in turn there's alot you non-2jack fucks aren't thinking about either. You're just jelous we're smarter than you.

A great way to get chicks into "Hondo's Comics" -

Tuesday Night Chicks Drink For FREE!

And free ruphees 7 nights a week.

Graphic literature and date rape. It's a natural combination.

Oh good! then we can get a bouncer, and lawyers for the date raping, and all the things that come with bars/clubs. youre on fire, man. :ghost:

cmon, we need ideas to make $ and keep the place managable, while it still being a hangout that - like 2T said - chicks are gonna think twice about coming into.

Jax still hasn't answered... does Smoothie King serve booze?

Sherman, set the wayback machine to 3 hours ago.

Sure thing, Mr Peabody!

I've never been to Smoothie King... do you have booze there?
Nah, but there are some might good smoothies for the hang over the next day.

Gee willikers,Mr Peabody!

I don't know if DC still does their 'adventures' series for younger readers, but I say we put that kinda stuff right out on the front rack.

I'm fed up of the only comic fans I know being over 25. 20, if I'm lucky. I don't care if we have to stoop to putting Archie an Jughead out there, man, we gotta do it.

(I have some old Disney and Warner Bros cartoons comics that were pretty funny to my 12 year old self... WOnder if anything like that's still around. I heard the Animanics comic got cancelled. Dexter's Lab too?)

Like Jax mentioned, you have to offer something to the public that others don't. I know many people enjoy good comics (why?? i have no idea) there should definitely be a hang out area, there should be events on certain nights like " mini conventions" where people show off their collections...i dunno, these are just random ideas.

That's a great idea. We can some locals show of what they can do. SB can drive down our way an show off what great talent he has along with some of our other members.

I don't know if DC still does their 'adventures' series for younger readers, but I say we put that kinda stuff right out on the front rack.

I'm fed up of the only comic fans I know being over 25. 20, if I'm lucky. I don't care if we have to stoop to putting Archie an Jughead out there, man, we gotta do it.

(I have some old Disney and Warner Bros cartoons comics that were pretty funny to my 12 year old self... WOnder if anything like that's still around. I heard the Animanics comic got cancelled. Dexter's Lab too?)

I don't know about you guys over in the big smoke, but from where I'm standing there's still a lotta snobbery in the industry directly pertaining to 'kids books'. Could putting the kids' books up-front alienate your bread & butter while you're not even guaranteed business out've a move like that? I mean, the people going for Ducktales or 'Adventure' titles'd be 4 year olds passing by & wanting this stuff on a whim. It's not a reliable market & unfortunately this is a biz(again, strictly from my semi-edjicated standpoint) where the kids with the money want you to vogue for'em. S'a fine line betwixt making money & having a dusty store full of elitist cockheads. When I get around to doing this again I'm gonna have equal emphasis on coffe & comics, so at the very least I can hope for some coffee-traffic that may or may not take a seat & read the various preview laminates I'd have laying around. One've the tougher points is atmosphere Vs security too...

“arc - i like your amazon idea, tho we'd have to have expanded and have some serious backstock to warrant that.”

Not necessarily. There are some methods available to you, like a partnership with the distributor. In this scenario you would at the very least receive a finders fee per purchase but more importantly you would receive the notoriety of offering the service, which may one day allow you to branch out on you own.

Also there is still the distinct possibility that you could actually just have the item on your shelf. You could also market and sell your store items on e-bay and make more for them as you establish a steady flow of income. This is where your concept of selling mostly trades is important because most folks would not order a paperback comic online but trades on the other hand are a completely different animal. All I read now a days are trades and the way I get them is on line because the bookstores and comic stores just don’t have enough of them.

Which brings up another issue if you are selling trades then does that make you a bookstore or a comic shop? Either way I suggest that your establishment look and feel more like a bookstore than a comic shop. I say this because of the difference in the level of professionalism expected and the expected sort of patrons desired. What do I mean? I mean that if you let you store look like the epitome of all comic book store, A&M, then you defiantly won’t make the rent but if you look like a Borders or a Barnes and Nobles you will raise the bar and the sophistication of the clientele. Here’s another example I buy my video games at Best Buy for the most part because it not only looks more professional than Circuit City, E Games, Babbages, etc. but they behave with that level of professionalism. I can find what I want by myself for the most part and now I getting rewards for stuff I was going to buy anyways (see pervious post regarding rewards card for free). Also when you buy a used game you are probably better off getting it at F.Y.E.

Some of my additional ideas of course include an improved and unique interior design composed of modern gothic mix of interior design and hopefully even architecture. This design should carry over into all of the remaining areas. People go to hang outs because of their look and feel. Starbucks makes you feel cool or even jazzy. In fact it’s so cool that you pay $5.00 for their coffee just to be there but this goes back to the this versus that paragraph above.

Also, and I know that I am going over board with this now, but if you want to truly push the social experiment into a new level then make your graphic book store into a three part comic, club, and costumes shop. Sell and make specialized costumes of Wolverine, Captain America, Cloud, Gogo, etc. and let the people wear them into your club, in fact encourage it. Imagine the ramifications of telling the world that this is what is hip. Tell them that comic costume club parties are the latest tend in a rising comic book movement. Raise he statuesque and you will not only have a moneymaking juggernaut but you would have saved the comic book industry because it will no longer be dirty to be a fan.

Maybe I’m off.

More to come……………...

See, most people would suggest dressing the employees of the shop as comic/ game characters.

But yeah, imagine a space where I can indulge my 'dress as batman' fetish outside of halloween and have people say not "Get away from me you freak," but "Hey, excellent suit, man"

Of course, There's a narrow line between pretence and delusion and you might just end up dealing with a lot o crazies.

See, most people would suggest dressing the employees of the shop as comic/ game characters.

But yeah, imagine a space where I can indulge my 'dress as batman' fetish outside of halloween and have people say not "Get away from me you freak," but "Hey, excellent suit, man"

Of course, There's a narrow line between pretence and delusion and you might just end up dealing with a lot o crazies.

You would definately have to go the hiring hot employess route if you wanted to have them dress as characters.

Countdown to first suggestion that Powergirl be one of the costumes initiated...

You would definately have to go the hiring hot employess route if you wanted to have them dress as characters.

Not if U dress em as Venom ans Hulk

There's an image: Venom sorting through back issues for a customer while Hulk walks around with a badge saying, "How may I help you today?"

Not if U dress em as Venom ans Hulk

There's an image: Venom sorting through back issues for a customer while Hulk walks around with a badge saying, "How may I help you today?"

Perhaps I should add "in very good" shape to that (its part of what I meant anyway). I mean honestly, would you wanna see anyone in that kinda costume that wasn't? I present various fan conventions as an example.

It would be kinda funny to hvae someone dressed as the Hulk, going around to customers saying things like "Hulk HELP!!!"

Archived