Hondo's Bar

Rock the Bells

The NZA

rtb_acts.gif

Rock the Bells Festival 2007

rage_wu.jpg

So, this show's pretty big, and as i understand it, we dont often get it on the east coast...they get shit like the Tribe Called Quest reunion, as well as "NAS, Lauryn Hill, Blackstarr (Talib Kweli and Mos Def), Cuban Linx, De La Soul, Busta Rhymes, Cypress Hill and Jurassic 5..." so yeah, anyof those first 3 names'd only make this more amazing...anyway, this is the Wu show for their new album this summer, and one of only 3 other shows from Rage this year, so im thinking, it might warrant a trip up to NY. There's 2 shows in cali, but this could be an awesome summer trip in general.

Im gonna look into it a bit - full lineup is in a few weeks, tickets go on sale the 31st...im thinking flying might beat driving, overall, and im gonna ask some friends about lodging for a few days with them...just wanted to see: if i can put this together, anyone else besides me and sen wanna come?

ps, to answer the inevitable jax question:

"Rage will do four shows and just four in 2007," said Chang Weisberg, the founder of Guerilla Union and organizer of Rock the Bells. "Coachella is first, that's the granddaddy. And now these three with the Wu-Tang Clan represent a very, very special thing."

The New York hip-hop collective has already announced the planned summer release of "8 Diagrams," the Clan's first album since "Iron Flag" in 2001. The album will feature new contributions from eight of the nine members from its classic line-up: RZA, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Raekwon, GZA, Inspectah Deck, U-God and Masta Killa. The ninth member, the late ODB, who died in 2005, will appear in the form of previously recorded material.

One two three / Mos Def and Talib Kweli / We came to rock it on to the tip-top / Best alliance in hip-hop, wyahhhhh / I said one two three / It's kind of dangerous to be an emcee / They shot Tupac and Biggie / Too much violence in hip-hop, wyahhhhh

lions of hip hop...good call.

Yeah, if blackstar, roots, lauryn hill, tribe etc, any of em come through, that only adds to it for me. I just talked to a friend, got lodging for me & sen, so its looking a bit more likely...ill call junker, see if he's down. Jax, if you want in, holla.

Jesus, this is tough. $85 is a lot for any concert, but the lineup's been announced, and...damn.

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

WU-TANG CLAN (PERFORMING OFF THEIR FORTHCOMING ALBUM "8 DIAGRAMS" )

CYPRESS HILL

THE ROOTS

NAS*

MOS DEF

EPMD

MF DOOM*

PHAROAHE MONCH

FELT*

SAGE FRANCIS

HIEROGLYPHICS*

IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE

LIVING LEGENDS*

BLACKALICIOUS*

THE COUP*

MURS*

JEDI MIND TRICKS

BROTHER ALI*

CAGE*

MR. LIF*

GROUCH & ELIGH*

HANGAR 18*

BLUEPRINT*

LUCKY I AM**PLAYING SELECT CITIES

VERY SPECIAL GUEST:

PUBLIC ENEMY

HOSTED BY:

SUPERNATURAL, RAHZEL, & HI-TEK

DJS:

MIKE REALM, C-MINUS, ICY ICE, & ROCKY ROCK

basically, the * means "not in NY", and Nas is filling in for the shows Rage isnt there. But fuck, PE, Roots, Wu, Rage, mos, monch, technique, there's a lotta A-list names there (wish Doom'd make it out), and Sen's still really wanitng to do this...again, i got us a place to stay, just wanted to see if Jax, Junker, 2T etc any others might wanna come along if we do this.

Umm, I'm a maybe so far. I'd really like to go, I think it depends on finances. So, have you guys decided on road trip or plane ride? Plane tickets to NY for July are basically 200 bucks a person. Road trip numbers are 210 bucks for a car with 30 mpg round trip. So split up that's pretty cheap if we have a car that's willing to make the trip. I'd be up for the road trip, I've been to DC and that was pretty fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

aw man, fuck that guy. anyway, VIP kids were saying theyd get to pass by them or something like that, so its not like they traded friend codes or anything.

What an awesome show. Few good local acts, i caught the tail end of Jedi Mind Tricks, then Immortal Technique proved to me you could do hard conscious shit live and get the crowd into it...sen enjoyed the punkesque "gov't shoudl fear its people" rant, i dug the "i hear there's a lotta white kids at wu shows, but how you figure there's more here than at a 50 cent one? and hey, to all you whites in the crowd, im really glad youre here and not at a fucking republican convention or something."

Pharoe Monch had a good, short set, then Blackstar made it out, which was of course awesome. Kweli sounded really different live, and as i suspected, some of his shit doesnt lend itself as well to live performances, but they got in a few blackstar classics so i was happy. Mos Def of course was on board for those, and it was cool cause Common was with them even tho he wasnt on the ticket; he got to do his new single "the People" which made my day. Mos had by far the longest set, which didnt work as well for me since it was mostly his new shit with the band.

Nas came through and really tore it up, just went right into Illmatic, prolly hit up almost every single song from there, then pciked his 2 most popular ones from each album after that, covered most of his known catalogue, and even managed a short set of his underground shit that was really cool to hear; i catn really think of many of his greats he didnt cover.

Wu of course was the shit, and really made you wish they were there longer. Just about every song shy of "shame on a nigga" from 36 Chambers got done, as well as a fwe off Wu-Tang Forever. There wasnt as much time for the solo stuff, though crowd-pleasers like "bring the pain" of course got their moment, and i think i lost my voice yelling lyrics and shit. Ask sen, by the time they did an encore of "Gravel Pit" i prolly came.

That was prolly the best concert ive been to. Its a shame they coudlnt work in the Roots, MF Doom, Public Enemy and some others from the NY show but we were there for about 7 hours as it was, so im uncertain where theydve worked em in. When i get back home, i gotta look up Mayday and the black violinist, both were great local acts.

• 9 months later...

flyer.jpg

Saturday – August 2nd – Miami, FL – Bicentennial Park

On-Sale Saturday May 17 at 10AM

$55 for Trible Called Quest, half of Wu (Meth, Ghostface, Rae), Redman, Nas, De La, Dead Prez, Technique and Pharcyde?! sold!

this is awesome, i finally get to see Tribe! :2T: so hyped. Sad Rakim's only NY & other venues but i got most of what i want there; if they add The Roots (pleaseohplease) and mebbe MF Doom, that's all i can ask for.

Weak! that's what club music overexposure does to you.

Id invite Junker but he'll prolly be in NY by then and could catch it there. Sen says she and possibly Losifer should be down, too. Honestly cant think of many others here who'd be down, sadly. Jax might be interested in seeing De La.

• 1 year later...

1246927067.png

ok, so i told myself i prolly wasnt gonna go this year (saw Tribe last year, that was a huge name off my list), but - and mind you, dates for miami havent event been established yet, though im thinking august - if The Roots, House of Pain, Ice Cube, Reflection Eternal, and a few others make it out, i think im there. a lot of those acts might stay in NY, but id like to check out Slaughterhouse (Budden + Royce), etc. ive seen Common, Busta, half of Wu etc before but im down to catch them again, too. hosting by Pete Rock & KRS-1 is a win for me as well.

ill wait to see what list we're getting down here, then see if i can catch Chief, Duads, Panch (heh) etc this year.

Archived