Hondo's Bar

Bioshock

The NZA

Well yes, though I've heard they went for a more Howard Hughs thing with him.

And no I haven't got a 360, Flamealchemist from the Knoll does and I go over there and hog the controller for hours on end. Don't get me wrong Orange Box on the 360 was awesome but Bioshock had its difficulties.

And I could give a rat's ass about additional plasmids. Aside from the upgrade ones and the one the one that lets you mind control Big Daddies, the only ones that were really worth a shit were the fire, lightning, and hive plasmids. (the ice one sucked balls.)

eh, i had more fun with the tonics than the plasmids, so i see your point. what's flame alchemists gamertag? i ought add him. i know there's at least one other knollian on live, but im thinking its dark blade and i still have a hard time understanding that kid.

I think Demonic's on there but I couldn't honestly tell you what his gamertag is, and I don't think Flame has live and if he does he's not home enough to use it what with juggling between being a highschool senior and Wal-Mart cart bitch. But if he does I think it's Clydec

• 1 month later...

thumb463x_bioshock_2.jpg

Bioshock 2: the (inevitable) prequel is coming, and its coming late '09, far as we know.

no big surprises there, after the way it sold. My only qualm is the lingering question of whether or not my new friend Kevin Levine is on board, cause the entirety of my hype for this project rests on that. If this goes elsewhere and emphasis turns to plasmids/multiplayer elements, i'm not gonna be pleased.

So I imagine you'll probably be playing as one of Fontaine's rebels. Though it would be cool if you could play as a character who actually becomes a Big Daddy toward the end of the game and the last section is you protecting your little sister and taking out the final boss.

• 3 months later...

nogodsorkings-thumb.jpg

So, with Big Boss done, ive been debating getting out from Skeeter's shadows and going for Brass Balls in this one, finally, which got me thinking that i should post some great articles from kotaku on this game that id been meaning to.

first up, is the compilation of the game's great soundtrack:

bioshockmusic.jpg

Next was an article where Ken Levine agreed the ending couldve been better:

While interviewing Ken Levine earlier this month for my story on the use of objectivism in BioShock we talked quite a bit about the plot. Near the end of the interview I found myself compelled to tell Levine what I thought of the game.

"I know I'm not a game developer, I just write about games," I said to Levine, steeling myself for his reaction. "But I wasn't exactly thrilled with the ending of the game. I felt like the confrontation with Ryan, the deneumont of the story, should have probably been the game's ending. It felt like you dragged it out too much after that and it ended up watering down the experience."

Then I waited, for a second, in silence before hearing Levine say he agreed.

"I underestimated, way underestimated, the impact the story was going to have on people," he said. "I didn't realize it would change people's perspective on what to expect from gameplay."

Levine said that when writing a story, deep down he never really expect people to pay attention to it.

"I didn't think they became that invested in what was going on," he said. In BioShock "you have this great mystery of your own identity and once it is solved the story is over."

"I think it was a miscalculation on my part."

and finally, there was a really great piece on Objectivism in Bioshock, which got into the philosophy, its execution on the gameplay, and a lot of other great angles.

• 4 weeks later...

ferrisbioshock.jpg

ok, so the PS3 bioshock is coming soon, and they announced platform-specific trophies - "A Man Chooses" and "I chose the impossible" for what sounds basically like brass balls. Still, there's talk of added content, so im posting this picture assuming its part of it. Carnival time!!

• 3 months later...

Right, so resurrection time. I'm going for "I choose the impossible" right now on my first run-through to save time and max out trophies on the PS3 version, as I've rented it and I have to get it back before thansksgiving. Naturally, I am a fool.

So basically, the PS3 version is the same, but with a new difficulty level, and if you want the challenge rooms you're going to have to find ten bucks extra on top of repaying the full price. So far, it's been great, and I'm only writing this so that I can pull myself away and start working on homework like I should've. Can't rightly stay up too late when I've gotta be awake by eight.

Hey man, if you wanna break a control, go batshit insane and spend a week vocally cussing out the developers of this terrible game I'll totally look the other way

You're backing down before there even is a fight?

I'm enjoying it, though I'm trying to get everything on the first play, which lends itself to frustration in its own right. I'm already freaking worried that I might've overspent ADAM.

so, so tempted to just rent this one and push through 2 more playthroughs for my first @#%$ing platinum, but i dont know that i wanna put Fallout down, nor that i want to end up hating the game somehow. argh.

mal - when you get the challenge rooms (are you doing that?) lemme know how they hold up.

congrats, man. 2 playthroughs, then?

No, just the one. I started it on survivor with vita chambers turned off, didn't buy any health or eva upgrades until the last chapter, hell I didn't even upgrade my plasmids until that last chapter. Beat Survivor with vitas off and you also get the trophies for doing it on hard.

oh, you can jump right into survivor, that's cool. on xbox you gotta unlock it first. and you put most of your eve into plasmid slots, then.

i was so convinced before it took 2 plays just to let sander cohen live in one and off him/take a pic in the other, but sen thinks it can be done in the same go-through, guess she's right.

so after all the hype, thoughts?

It was good. Nothing touched the magic of the scene with Ryan that came after, though.

And yeah. If you let Cohen live, you can lure him out of his apartment later by killing his dancers. Then you can kill him, and get into his apartment, and get the power to the people upgrade.

Archived