Hondo's Bar

MARVEL vs. DC

DevilsAdvoc8

Marvel is just superior. Writers, Artists and Characters. I said so else where but here is how I break it down, I do see Superman being able to beat every Marvel hero but one. The Silver Surfer.

Surfer would trounce all the DC trash. Then go toe to toe with Big Blue and beat him. It would be nasty and ugly but SS in the end.

DC minus Superman is Batman. Batman couldn't beat most the guys in MARVEL. Cap? No way I don't care how great a fighter he is or what physical condition he's in. Cap has been around since WWII. Punisher? Sure, with white gloves. Ennis Punisher? Hell No. Surly Nam' Vet who basically sold his soul to keep on killing. Wolverine? Uh, if you even have a doubt. Daredevil? Maybe. Spidey? No. Yeah he could take Iron Fist, Luke Cage maybe, MAYBE even Iron Man, Bats was the original tech geek. Thats it though. DC's other "heavy hitters" who Green Lantern? Make Mine Marvel

DV8 I dont think you understood what I ment most of the new marvel stuff is the bigest pile of shit ever.. that I will have to get the 1960s stuff just to enjoy the stories but I will still read a lot of dc stuff because there is still fun stuff there and swamp thing is not just verigo nor is hellblazer they have both been in mainstream dc so just them too with the sandman could take out most of marvel

im with panch/ASC but newt's right too, endings havent been as strong these days. the best shit has been runs where writers get to stretch their legs and not be fucked as much by the big events: bru on cap, bendis on DD, etc.

stimpy: what in paritcular's been shit about marvel these days? any book/character examples, you mentioned not likeing spidey right now which is odd cause im reading that book again and enjoying it...

well I think the only marvel I have read is next wave at the mow I have tried to read spidey but this one more day stuff is just stupid Im guessing you know whats going to happen it was revealed on the web by JMS. and thats just moronic destroy 20 odd years of story by a eic who dont like a couple being married, what else civil war, It comes to a point that a guy who has been reading marvel for 27 years sez enough bring back people like John Byrne, even Stan Lee.

I dont even know Woverine any more he's not the guy I was a fan of .

But with dc there is still an element of cool stuff there like Paul Dini doing Batman even indenty crisis had some good ideas and did not need killing one of their biggest stars so to be returning give it till March when there a sniff of a film

and even then it's getting stale. Look what they had to do with 52: pretty much give all the nobodies center stage for a while while the big wigs were out of commission, because there's only so much you can throw at Supes before you realize 'gee...he's Supes. Better give him Kryptonite, i'm sure there's a 7-11 that sells it nearby...'

Marvel's only now shaking off the 'We have to make __________ THE MOST POWERFUL PERSON EVAAAA!!!!1!!111!111!, and even then they fucked it up with Planet Hulk, to the point where they have to call in their own (better) version of Superman for Deus Ex Machina style of story ending.

Lame.

As for Civil War: yea, bleh of an ending, except for Cap dying. If they leave Rogers dead and give the mask to Buckey (which I suspect they're going to do) then this will be the best thing to happen to either universe since it's inception. Laying to rest an icon who's been around for the better part of 60 years is hard, but it was done well, and I enjoyed it (in a 'fuck, that's depressing' kinda way).

but what happens if you kill Superman? What happens if Batman dies? DC sucks, that's what.

There just aren't enough interesting, well developed, multidimensional Characters in DC for it to be viable, while marvel suffers from 'This week on 'World's Most Powerful Being'.

The Kudos I give to DC is continuity, though. I hate the continuity in Marvel. Shit pisses me the fuck off.

Don't get me wrong I've read some good DC stories I love Kingdom Come, and I liked a Death in the Family and of course The Dark Knight Returns but it's a Universe of scrubs Supes and Bats aside. Crip you said so yourself. I happen to think WW, Flash, GL (Hal or Kyle), Aquaman, GA are good characters, but they're just that - JUST GOOD. Not Great really not even close. Oh I totally agree the Sentry is a huge steaming pile of rhino dung, who Superman, the Silver Surfer, The Hulk, Captain Marvel or a slew of others could have their way with. He's garbage. But Marvel does have many Greats.

Spider-Man, The Hulk, Captain America, Wolverine, Thor, Iron Man, The FF, ect.

Lets not even mention Rogues...cause really the biggest threat to DC, would be out classed.

Not to say that they don't get things wrong they do. They have guys that can do things no one in any other universe can do and they are poorly written and underused. Best Surfer story I read in awhile JMS Requiem, more shit like that adds to a character who has been underappreciated.

Continuity? Frankly when you limit yourself to continuity you limit your stories and your writers, shit most the guys that kick ass are old school they use versions of characters not in the forefront of the collective audiences mind at that moment. I ain't read Kingdom Come in a while but my counsel and cohort pointed out that GL had got shot up GA's arrows and that wood is the weakness of the GL prior to Hal...now I ain't up to much DC mythos but that was news to me, I always thought it was Hal J...

Thats another thing bout DC Clark Kent is Superman, Bruce Wayne is Batman everyone else has like 30 people filling their shoes at any particular time. I think that shit is kinda lame. Yeah Marvels' done it Ghost Rider, even Spidey but you have a standard a staple that wears a suit and that is what always works. Count on ol Steve resuming his mantle.

Not say that they don't get things wrong they do. They have guys that can do things no one in any other universe can do and they are poorly written and underused. Best Surfer story I read in awhile JMS Requiem, more shit like that adds to a character who has been underappreciated.

That story was so good, im sad it wasnt continuity.

Continuity? Frankly when you limit yourself to continuity you limit your stories and your writers, shit most the guys that kick ass are old school they use versions of characters not in the forefront of the collective audiences mind at that moment. I ain't read Kingdom Come in a while but my counsel and cohort pointed out that GL had got shot up GA's arrows and that wood is the weakness of the GL prior to Hal...now I ain't up to much DC mythos but that was news to me, I always thought it was Hal J...

Seconded. again, i want actions to resonate/have consequences but i dont want writers stifled by editors the way the 90's were. best marvel shit last few years? the books that all but went on irrelevant to the big events: Ennis' Punisher, Bendis/Bru's Daredevil, Bru's Cap (only the ending really tied into civil war). Flexibility isnt a bad thing.

Also, again, youre missing out not reading the current Sinestro Wars in Green Lantern..shit's hot, youd dig it. i gotta post on it soon.

Thats another thing bout DC Clark Kent is Superman, Bruce Wayne is Batman everyone else has like 30 people filling their shoes at any particular time. I think that shit is kinda lame. Yeah Marvels' done it Ghost Rider, even Spidey but you have a standard a staple that wears a suit and that is what always works. Count on ol Steve resuming his mantle.

Characters like supes, i cant read month to month. I can point out some absolute great reads - Action Comics # 775 ("Whats so funny about truth, justice & the american way?"), Red Son, Superman: Man for all Seasons etc.

Bats works hafl the time as a deus ex (think :unsure: ) and im surprised how great books can be when he's like this background icon: see Gotham Central.

Archived