Hondo's Bar

Choke

Stilly

Well, the latest film adaptation of one of Chuck Palahniuk's works was shown at sundance last night, and it sounds like it was a huge hit:

From the Chuck Palahniuk myspace:

The film had its world premiere last night at the Racquet Club Theatre, and Chuck Palahniuk was in attendance as the film got a roaring applause.

Oh, but wait, there's more...

In what they're already calling the best sale of the festival, Fox Searchlight as of 5am this morning, has bought Clark Gregg's adaptation of Choke for a reported $5 million!

Theaters or Straight-to-DVD?

• 3 weeks later...

I still maintain that if Haunted was ever committed to film it would make Saw and Hostel look like Sesame Street and the Teletubbies.

Id say theyd edit out a whole load of shit though. For instance do you think theyd show that dude cutting off

the tip of his dick and the other guy eating it, choking on it then dying

. Now thats a scene that'd go down in cinema history! And thats one of the tamer incidents in the book!

Personally, I think Haunted would work better as a mini-series. Of course, I don't know where it could air.

Shit, Fight Club was great, but the book was far grittier (in my opinion)...great job all around. However, it was nowhere close to the level as some of his other material (Choke, Haunted, Survivor.......). To be faced with the challenge of making one of those into a movie...let alone one that isn't NC-17 or worse...has to be daunting, to say the least.

With more details on Choke coming out, it still seems to me that it's too short to truly tell the story. I can only imagine how long a good Survivor or Haunted movie would have to be. Fight Club wasn't short by any means, but the story is much easier to tell in a decent amount of time.

...yay someone noticed this thread!

..yay someone noticed this thread!

Hey i was pissed cos of the lack of notice it got.

Survivor didnt have any more outright violence or offensiveness than most movies do these days. Its just the whole plane thing kinda clashed with 9/11. If it was to be a movie I'd cast Jason Lee (with righteous mutton chops...always imagined Tender with mutton chops for some reason) as Tender Branson and Bryce Dallas Howard as that chick whos name i cant remember Felicity...Virginity...somthing like that

Can someone provide a spoiler tagged rundown of the stories in Haunted again? Just the titles and characters involved. Its been a while since i read it.

Survivor didnt have any more outright violence or offensiveness than most movies do these days.

How about the Tender Branson Sensitive Materials Sanitary Landfill? Not violent...but offensive...maybe. I mean...20,000 acres is a lot.

• 3 months later...

Damn you, Medibank.

I'm having trouble marrying up Baytor & DR G's statements. One says it's relatively uncontraversial in it's text, the other saus it's about SIDS. How do these meet?

ANd Choke is a comedy? Acch. this is gonna end badly.

To clarify: Lullaby is about SIDS and Choke is controversial by mainstream standards. In the world of Chuck though it's relatively tame.

Skeet- you'll be sold when you see the trailer trust me. I recognised at least six different instances of verbatim dialogue from the book and they were done well. Now it remains to be seen that they just havent strip mined all the good lines from the finished product. As for the comedy part, the tone of the actual novel is pretty ambiguous. Is it a comedy? Is it a black comedy? Is it a satire? I couldnt tell anyway.

Damn you, Medibank.

I'm having trouble marrying up Baytor & DR G's statements. One says it's relatively uncontraversial in it's text, the other saus it's about SIDS. How do these meet?

ANd Choke is a comedy? Acch. this is gonna end badly.

Let's just say for a Palahniuk book there are relatively few gross-out/sick moments. It's a pretty straightforward novel.

Archived