Hondo's Bar

Choke

Stilly

GIven the basis(from my perspective and scant recollection) of the story is a bunch of sex addicts trying to find intimacy it'd be a bit odd if it wasn't R. That's like making a disney Holocaust doco*.

*Miley Cyrus has already been pulled into talks to play Eva Braun while Zac Effram will reprise star as the Naughtiest Hun there ever was, Adolf Hitler.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw it and thought it was really good, just haven't gotten around to the review yet. Admittedly I haven't read the book (Shut up Skeet, least I watched the movie!) but it was very well done. Comparing it to Fight Club is really unfair, it's more lighthearted but the comedic timing was great and I didn't find fault with it except that maybe it was a bit too cheery looking visually.

• 1 month later...

Started reading Choke a couple of months ago and left it to read The Brothers Karamazov.

I dunno, something about the tone of (at least in the beginning) turned me off (no *fucking* pun intended, yes) and made me feel totally indifferent to the narrator... hell, I could even say he sounded "yes, I'm so badass and cold 'cause I don't care." Only part I really liked was the shadow painting.

I picked it up with hopes of seeing some kind of glimpse of an American med student's academical life, but so far I've found none. Does it get any better, or is the rest of the book in the same tone as the initial parts?

Yeah, unless you're a disenfranchised sex addict trying to find a way to say 'fuck you' to the world(or in my case, incredibly ghey for Palahniuk), it's pretty hard to empathise with the main character. I'd stick with it if I were you, simply because all Chuck writes is gold, but check out the movie first, see if that works for you. Otherwise, there's a Chuck P appreciation thread where anyone will be more than happy to steer you toward something you might enjoy more. Me, I say Haunted.

I still haven't read the book so I can't comment on it but like I said in my review Victor Mancini struck me as the complete antithesis to I-Am-Jack's-Nameless-Protagonist from Fight Club which if nothing else is interesting. He's still far more interesting than the model stomping journalist from Lullaby.

• 4 months later...

Just watched this last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm gonna have to own this one, though I'm gonna hold out for the eventual Blu-ray release. I would have liked it if the extended

"stoning"

ending was in the movie, but at least it's included on the dvd.

Invisible Monster, anyone? This book gets hated on a lot, but in the right hands it could make a neat little film, and totally freak out the Devil Wears Prada-crowd that would go see it. :uhm:

Invisible Monster, anyone? This book gets hated on a lot, but in the right hands it could make a neat little film, and totally freak out the Devil Wears Prada-crowd that would go see it. :uhm:

Jesus, I would greenlight that shit for that purpose alone.

Yeah, I lost a lot of love for the book watching this movie. Didn't dig any of it & it reminded me just how off the book was too. Invisible Monsters was by far a better book despite the banal subject matter. :uhm: to LoganPrime for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

This movie really went under the radar didnt it? Didnt notice it in cinemas (although I was residing in a culturally redundant part of Australia at the time) and didnt even know it was out on DVD until we took a trip to Blockbuster and there it is sitting smiling at us in the new-to-rental section.

All in all it was kinda sorta alright...I guess. It wasn't a bad movie per se but it was just lacking that Palahniukness. At the time I kidded myself into loving the shit out of it but that was probably due to the fact that if Chuck Palahniuk came into my room while I was sleeping and gently placed one of his dingleberries under my tongue I would still set myself on fire as an act of devotion. Choke was one of his weaker books though you all have to admit and my indifference to the book just translated to the film.

Whatever though. This is just karmas way of telling them they should have made Survivor.

...if Chuck Palahniuk came into my room while I was sleeping and gently placed one of his dingleberries under my tongue I would still set myself on fire as an act of devotion.

That statement alone just made you so incredibly awesome that it hurts my soul.

As long as he's not in my fucking house when it happens, I feel the same. The irony being that were events to play out in said fashion, my personally signed first edition copy of Fight Club would burn along with my sleeping corpse. If I were awake & out of the house, so would be the book. I trust alana to have the dogs & the cat usually sleeps out anyways.

That statement alone just made you so incredibly awesome that it hurts my soul.

While your soul-pain was not my intention its always nice to hear nice things :confused:

As long as he's not in my fucking house when it happens, I feel the same. The irony being that were events to play out in said fashion, my personally signed first edition copy of Fight Club would burn along with my sleeping corpse. If I were awake & out of the house, so would be the book. I trust alana to have the dogs & the cat usually sleeps out anyways.

Wouldnt you want your 1st edition FC buried or cremated with you anyway ancient Egyptian style to enjoy in the next life?

Archived