Hondo's Bar

The Umbrella Academy

Da Cap'n

UMBACADFCSOL.jpg

Just picked up the 6 issue mini out of pure curiosity and, man I'm glad I did. At first I was skeptical about it because of the writer, but My Chemical Romance lead singer Gerard Way is brilliant! He's really made a believer outta me. The artist also blows your mind. In in the back of one of the issues, in the letters column, a reader says Umbrella is Hellboy/B.P.R.D. meets The Incredibles and that guy was totally right. There also was a Free Comic Book Day issue that I guess is the first appearance. Oddly enough I had it. Anyways, read this book it's great!

Main story

The members of the Umbrella Academy, a disbanded group of superheroes, reunite after the death of their adoptive father, "Sir Reginald Hargreeves". Hargreeves, an alien disguised as a famous entrepreneur, collected the members of the Umbrella Academy shortly after their birth and trained them to save the world from an unspecified threat. After his death, the members carry on his plan to save the world.

Oh, christ yes. be sure to ask him one day how "Spider-Man: The Other" is a timeless piece that will be relevant and seen in a better light 10 years from now. Ive never seen a more forgiving critic.

He makes me look like Baytor.

On the topic of the UA. It's written very well and the inside art is amazing. Mind you it actually based on Doom Patrol which is Way's favorite comic series. There is a two pager on Issue 5 that you need to check out, if you don't read any of the comic and just look at those two pages it really sets the tone for the whole comic, IMO.

Archived