Hondo's Bar

I play games

Dr`Steve

I found a thread to post my presence in weekly, fantastic!

While I could have just posed in there I may have missed the expose to the community that I will receive here.

I will begin with explaining that I am primarily a PC gamer. This may mean that on the odd occasion I will enter into other debates about console games to brag about my superior control interface (to slow it down for the console kids, keyboard and mouse), but as I have already explained to Nick, this will be kept to a minimum as it obviously a personal preference to the way some games are best played for an individual.

I do also have an X360 and PSP (looking to pick up a DS and Wii in the not too distant future) so I do dabble in the consoles from time to time due to game exclusivity and play style.

With my PC gaming I almost exclusively play multi-player FPS and more specifically for the last few years the EA/Dice Battlefield series. I am currently a captain of an Aussie Clan that is training for an upcoming 16v16 Battlefield 2 money competition. So it will go without saying that for the next few months that BF2 will be a game that I will be playing heavily.

I have been told by the tournament organizers that the matches will be cast live with both audio and video, so if people are interested, I would be more than happy to keep you up to speed with when matches/casts are scheduled so you can tune in. Also if there is anyone across the globe that does play BF2 (and knows of a server without a high ping kick) I would be more than happy to partake on some uber high ping shens.

I do have a large catalogue of games and play most genres (except RTS as I have an attention span of a flea and tend to lose track of what I'm doing and MMORPG's as I have an addictive personality and don't want to have other poor reasons not to go to work and socialize with people in RL).

The only issue with keeping a large catalogue of games is that sometimes new games that I pick up, if they don't grab my attention straight away or get A+++ reviews they will be destined to the shelf until a very rainy day or until someone asks to borrow it and then I realise that I want to play it, so they cannot have it.

The current playlist:

Battlefield 2

Call of Duty 4: Multiplayer

Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (7 hrs in and stuck on an iconic boss and getting frustrated)

Sam and Max S1 Ep3 (wind down)

Patapon (will get back to if I ever finish ff7:cc)

I will begin with explaining that I am primarily a PC gamer. This may mean that on the odd occasion I will enter into other debates about console games to brag about my superior control interface (to slow it down for the console kids, keyboard and mouse), but as I have already explained to Nick, this will be kept to a minimum as it obviously a personal preference to the way some games are best played for an individual.

i like you already. I can also see why Skeet equates you to me as I'm sure you piss him off as regularly as I do.

oh, you kids :sad:

heh, this is a fun idea for an overall gamer profile besides just the weekly gaming journal thing.

its known that i'm a console whore with PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP and more games (legit or not) that i could finish in a solid year of unemployment. Right now, im all over Sega-CD emulated Snatcher, and other PSP fun like FF VII Crisis Core, Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear; Portable Ops +, Patapon and occasionally God of War.

I just got Condemned 2 in from gamefly (for 360) and once i finish that and Panch's copy of Stranglehold, uh, Space's copy of Assassin's Creed and someone's DMC 4 (perhaps Lost Oddysey as well) ill be square. Oh, plus im grabbing Smash Bros tomorrow, so yeah, this pile should do quite nicely till Metal Gear Solid 4 in June.

oh, and Adam: weve got some tournament players here, but mostly on fighting games. Also, you just reminded me, the SCUMM VM for PSP plays really well (im a few hours into Day of the Tentacle again) but i gotta load up the original Sam & Max to see what the hype is about.

Skeets been playing Frontline all night (well, since Jen and Dave left a 11pm after absolutely murdering both of us at millionaire monopoly) and is readying himself for PC battle with you in the not to distant future.

Also, if he could take you Dr Steve, instead of me, with him on his next games purchase, that would be great. He forgot his lisence and I had to watch him painfully crawl through every game in three stores before he decided what he wanted. He complained about the ten minutes I had him in David Jones, but I had to endure an HOUR AND A HALF of indecisiveness. Worse still, I wasn't allowed to leave the store in case he made up his mind, and the game he chose has no cute animals in it.

wait, what'd he get now? man, i gotta show him some review sites so he stops having to buy things and sell them back when theyre shitty.

tell the cunt i says no new games till he grows him some brass balls. he'll know what i mean.

The thing is that I had already told him about the teribad time that I had with the PC beta/steam release ect. Frontlines is unfinished/short/buggy/unimaginative/boring. I believe me exact words were

if you want something similar to Battlefield 2 on Xbox, wait for Battlefield : Bad Company, don't get frontlines because it is shit.

There is no way that i will be taking him shopping if he refuses to heed good, free advice.

Unlocks have always been around an are not there as an advantage, they are an alternative.

While i don't agree for having to pay for them, I wouldn't place all the blame on EA. Microsoft did set the precedent.

I will work out a good EA hate speech for later to make up for the defending I have done here.

i dunno, man. im ok with extra content later on (Mass Effect, Rock Band) etc for microstransactions; i just dont like unfinished games milking it (Beautiful Katamari) or core gameplay elements.

EA can charge out the ass for say throwback jerseys in Madden, but dont offer cleats that give your running back a boost, that's not right. "Unlocks" are ok, im talking about weapons not in the core game, you know?

While I haven't done a whole lot of research into Battlefield:BC, I would have thought that any weapon unlocks would have only been for mutiplayer. That aside, I still maintain that a steaming pile of crap would have been a better purchase for Skeeter over Frontlines.

Hate to ask this, but...when does Smash Bros come out there again? cause ive been loving that one over here. Condemned 2 has been great so far as well.

i swear, people like Skeet are why Gamestop make the billions in used games they do.

The only indication for release date is "June 08"...

I really don't understand the whole trading thing either, there is no way that I would be letting them get away with offering $20 to buy a game off me that I bought from them last week for $100 to then have then sell it to another patsy for $95. It's criminal.

Looking into the whole unlocks thing, the purchase options are an alternative to playing the game. Why you would bother spending money on something that you can achieve normally in a game is beyond me though.

huh. well, they all look unlockable there, and so long as everything can be unlocked in the standard edition, id have no beef. The idea of a "gold" edition that comes with extra weapons that the standard'd have to pay for is weak, though, if it went that way - again, DLC later on (Marvel Ultimate Alliance did the exact same thing, but almost a year later if i recall correct) is ok, but again, if its all unlockable outta the box, its cool.

Yeah blow eachother later. Adam I believe the exact words uttered to you prior to(not asking your advice but rather giving you an insight to my magnanimous nature) your quote were:

Y'know I haven't ever played anything like battlefield, ever. The most sophisticated FPS I've played was Halo. I think I'ma buy Frontlines because it comes with a cool t-shirt and christ knows I won't know the difference.

And it's true, I'm completely dazzled by frontlines because i has no yardstick by which to measure. Annnnnd I has a cool new t-shirt. I'm not cutting off all roads to Battlefield BC, but with an august release I'm not waiting til then to have my uh, war fps cherry popped.

I like you.

Give it time.

Im done with FPS for the next season or so if i can avoid it; most ill do is return to Bioshock in a month or so to try for Brass Balls when im good & ready. I had enough platforming in Smash Bros, but Condemned 2 is reminding me how much i dig horror games, and there's not enough of that this year yet either.

all these shooters make me long for more adventure games and other genres i havent played as much. Im hoping ill be somehow in the mood for grinding by the time Bish is done with Lost Oddysey.

And it's true, I'm completely dazzled by frontlines because i has no yardstick by which to measure. Annnnnd I has a cool new t-shirt. I'm not cutting off all roads to Battlefield BC, but with an august release I'm not waiting til then to have my uh, war fps cherry popped.

But having your cherry popped by the abomination that is frontlines could be likened having your first sexual encounter with a razor blade - not knowing what it is supposed to feel like for the first time and leaving you scarred for any future encounters. At least the shirt will keep you warm while playing a game that that will bring nothing but a winter of discontent.

nono, you're missing the point. If this were a failure I could recognise as a connisuer of the medium your 'toldja so'liscence would be printed, laminated and begrudgingly in the mail, but seeing as 1) i don't game on PCs and therefore apparently already miss an entire realm of articulation both graphically and control-wise and 2) as I may have mentioned previously, THE MOST SOPHISTICATED SHOOTER I'VE PLAYED IS HALO, so I'm eating my shit on toast and having a great time doing it. I wonder why I stayed away from games like this for as long as I have? And see, from here Battlefield(being in your esteemed opinion sooo much better)will only be so much more enhanced, me having paid my dues with the runt of the litter. Jeez man, sure you've hit enough pre-teen virgins to know they know no better than your grunting three minutes and wiping their blood off your dick on the clown suit?

Ooohhhh I see your point: There are no pre-teen virgins in Logan. Touche, Doctor.

Archived