Hondo's Bar

Goodbye Orange Bowl

Da Cap'n

Well it's been "coming down" for quite a while now. Just up until this point they have been gutting it, removing seats, fixtures (urinals etc), and other stuff so that fans could bid on them and, in a way "own a piece of history". I guess now that the place has been gutted, now only the outer shell remains, and I guess they will be blowing up the rest. This will be cool! Did they say what day they were gonna do it? I haven't heard anything lately on the news.

Nah, they're using an ol school wrecking ball to take it down. Weird huh? Like I said before, everyday after work I see a new section gone. It's sad really, but I'm excited about the Marlins getting their own field. As part of the deal they have to change their name to the MIAMI Marlins, too. Awesome!

yeah, saw it in chunks today, it was honestly sad. You might not know it, but its been a pivotal part of the City of Miami's fire dept training for many years now too, they were quite beaten up over losing it this year. A popular drill was running the bleachers in their entirety in about 23 minutes tops, id always wanted to try and see if i could pull it off, alas...

if any good comes outta this (cause it sucks that where sen's family lives now, its like this dark, desolate block where lights used to be), the miami marlins thing, that's actually pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up next to the OB, and going to games as a kid is what made me such a die-hard Canes fan, even through all my years stuck in Gainesville. The Old Lady will be missed! Hopefully Dolphins (God I hope they change that name) Stadium will be friendlier to the Canes than what the OB has been recently.

You want the Dolphins team to change their name, or just the Stadium's name?

The stadium. I preferred Joe Robbie Stadium personally. Although to be honest, the only actual dolphins I've seen in Miami are at the Seaquarium. I think they should change their name to the Miami Manatees to be more accurate and as punishment for last year.

Although to be honest, the only actual dolphins I've seen in Miami are at the Seaquarium. I think they should change their name to the Miami Manatees to be more accurate and as punishment for last year.

I've seen wild Dolphins in Miami waters before. Granted they where at Hobie Beach (it's right next to the Seaquarium).

• 2 months later...

Orange Bowl coming down could of been all-for-not...

When auto dealer Norman Braman -- plaintiff in the case against the financing for a Marlins ballpark and other Miami projects -- took the stand at the end of the first day of the trial in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, that’s when things got interesting.

Braman told the court he didn’t believe public tax dollars should be used to fund a private enterprise – and ballplayers’ salaries – without a vote of the public. He also raised an issue his attorneys had spent a lot of time questioning public officials about: the financial wherewithal of the Marlins. Too bad Judge Jeri Beth Cohen agreed with Marlins attorney Sandy Bohrer that the team’s finances were irrelevant to the case.

But not before Braman and his attorneys made their point about the team’s financial health.

“I’m opposed to the baseball stadium for a lot of reasons,” Braman said. “I know the Marlins do not have the financial capacity…”

But Braman was cut off by Bohrer, who repeatedly objected to questioning about the team’s finances and admitting into evidence a document Braman says he received from Marlins President David Samson in 2003. The Marlins were seeking local investors at the time and the document was said to include financial data about the team.

Braman attorney Bob Martinez said the document shows the team was $150 million in debt and had no equity. Braman later slipped in that he turned down the team’s request to invest because “I could not invest in a company that had $163 million…” but he was again cut off.

Martinez halted his questioning and team, county and city attorneys refused to cross-examine Braman.

After court ended for the day, Samson said he had "no recollection" of the document he is said to have shared with Braman. "There’s nothing to talk about. It’s not allowed in evidence. There’s just nothing to say," Samson said shaking his head over the court proceedings. "It’s just a lot of taxpayer money going to waste right now."

Other testimony during the day – shown via video -- focused on whether public officials had questioned the Marlins about their finances, ever asked to look at their books and if they knew why the Marlins need public money for a stadium.

“My understanding is they can’t afford it,” County Mayor Carlos Alvarez said, when asked why the team needed tax dollars for its proposed $515 million ballpark at the site of the Orange Bowl.

The trial resumes Tuesday morning with witnesses expected to include Miami-Dade County Manager George Burgess and perhaps Samson.

Archived