Hondo's Bar

ultimate origins

Lorelei

Bendis has wanted to tie the entire Ultimate U together for so many years now, and clearly its been about Super Solider serum and all, so i enjoyed the first issue, but im expecting a lot from this series

i would like to point out how i think its borrowing from the groundwork Grant Morrison did in New X-Men, where the Weapon Plus program that created :kotter: and such all started with Cap. Its a great idea, and im glad theyre running with it.

:welcome: unfortunately, yeah, and i only say that 'cause he's such a fun character, and he's one of the few Bendis really didnt get right, for me. There was a run in Ultimate Spider-Man with Mojo and shit, and he showed up there but it ended pretty weak.

But again, i think its worked better when Bendis had fun with characters who werent as great in the regular universe - that, or where he takes some like Daredevil and more or less makes them the same character.

Palmiotti did some great stories late in the solo vol. 1, when he wasn't breaking the 4th wall and shit(agreed that Kelly's run was absolute class though). However I digress.

Wasn't moved by this #1. Was alright, but I'm getting over all this conspiritorial behind the scenes shit. As long as it doesn't involve Skrulls, anyways

i can kinda see where skeet's coming from on this one.

the ultimate U may be a victim of its own success; it upped the ante and forced the 616/regular marvel U to play ball, the way some elements of the movies have. Granted, spider-man's not doing so well in my eyes but truth is, they turned back the clock, arbitrarily or not, something half the book's writers have prolly wanted to do since at least Ultimate Spidey 1. X-Men has had to re-envision itself a lot to get readable again. And at times, the lines between Ultimates and Avengers can sometimes blur. Its almost like the Ultimate U served much of its purpose, cause im sure it has steady readership but i dont hear it talked about these days nearly as much.

Point is, this story might be to do just that & bring attention back, but after Ultimate Power and such (nevermind Ellis' dragged-out Gah-Lak-Tus trliogy), it does kinda feel like this shoulda been told a while back. i could be wrong, we'll see.

Yeah, Chuck Austin wrote near-every marvel book in the stable at that point, and had Shehulk & Juggernaut making the one-backed beast.

It's called Earth 616 because Warren Ellis took a bite from DC's apple and had Marvel Continuum spread across a helix of parallel universes(though I guess Mutant X & even Heroes Reborn got there first in proposing the existence of such pockets of reality, What if doesn't count).

It's called Earth 616 because Warren Ellis took a bite from DC's apple and had Marvel Continuum spread across a helix of parallel universes(though I guess Mutant X & even Heroes Reborn got there first in proposing the existence of such pockets of reality, What if doesn't count).

you sure? i thought it was 616 'cause of the # of FF issues or something? fuck it, wiki says you're right. odd, first ive heard of that.

which universe suffers from more faggotry than the other

It used to be DC light straight on through then they got all dark and shit in the 90s whilst Marvel nearly went bankrupt from sucking so much then DC got old again and Image took over for about a year or two and then Marvel caught up and trounced them both. Nowadays they just pass it back and forth from month to month, I think Marvel's currenly in the lead again with that 52 Bullshit still leaving a stale taste in everyone's mouth but if they keep pulling shit like "For One More Day" then DC will be king of the mountain again.

we've got a thread for it about that i seemingly cant find now, but moral of the story: that book/run was amazing, and writers after it worked with the scraps grant left, before bad editors let the fucking whole of it be retconned.

which isnt to say current x-books arent pretty good, just not as great as New X-Men was.

Archived