Hondo's Bar

What do comic freaks think about Smallville

Reverend Jax

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like comic books, but I've never been as obsessed with them as I am with movies, music and cartoon shows. I used to be way into spider-man and for a few year I bought all the issued that were released and tons of back issues during the entire years long clone fiasco. I also read tons of my older cousin's back issues of mostly X-men. She actually has a good condition copy of Marvel Secret Wars #8! (just noticing there is no drooling emoticon). After I moved overseas, buying comics became difficult and I sort of feel out of it and got more intensely into video games. The point of all this being, how do REAL big comic freaks feel about Smallville. I'm no Superman superexpert, but I know more than enough to know it takes several liberties on the story and doesn't stay accurate to the comics. That aside, what do you think of Smallville in it's own right? I think it's good, but the entire every-week-another-student-or-other-Smallville-resident-who-has-been-affected-my-the-meteo

r-shower-causes-havoc is getting kind of tired. Definitely has potential if I can get past the tendincy to say to myself "that's not how it happened in the comics!"

Yeah, im obviously gettin somewhere with m'whole "Comics are a legitmate art form!" thing if were all still freaks... ???

Based on only a few episodes, i think its crap.  Looks like 90210 feedin off the Superman license, which is a rather weak (content-wise) license these days anyway, same as Louis & Clark did.

Before, idve said "Any attention to comics is good" and appreciate the exposure, but the many truths of Ellis as seen Here in the brilliant "Come In Alone" thread have changed my mind: this kinda stuff does nothin for the medium, so i cant really back it either.

I didn't say everyone who like comics were freaks, i was talking about the freaks in particular, people who are way into it. I, myself, am a Rush freak, but not all people who like Rush are freaks (although Rush has a much higher Freak to Regular Fan ratio than most bands). There are freaks for everything, it doesn't take away from the crediblity of that which a freak is freakish about (everyone get that, or did I lose everyone?). I was wondering how those who are really into the comic scene feel about the show. I gotten question before about how I feel about certain things as a Rush freak, most commonly my feelings about Dream Theater, a band of Rush freaks, often dismissed as Rush wannabes. When you have a question for a Rush freak, I'm here, as I would expect you to be if I want questions answered by a comic freak. I also consider myself a Family Guy freak, a Calvin & Hobbes freak, a Fight Club freak, a Simpsons freak (but hey, aren't we all?) and as you've surely all noticed, a long-winded explanation freak :D.

• 3 years later...

Don't know about the comics and I haven't been watching religiously or anything but this most recent series has upped its game. This season has seen James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) as Brainiac nearly get Clark to release Zod, Lex developing as an all round nasty bastard and the death of a very major character. The main problem I'd had with Superman in the past was his apparent indestructability, hard to really care about someone who can't be hurt much let alone killed but Tom Welling plays the part well, giving him a finding his feet emotional frailty, which makes him a much more watchable character even more than Reeves's portrayal in my opinion. That said though that's only going on the bigger episodes, like many series they do tread water a fair bit on this.

Any other thoughts?

I'm not a comic fan. I have nothing against them; my mother just bought me the babysitter's club and sweet valley high books rather than comics. NEways. I don't like Smallville. At first, it was interesting and I enjoyed it. Now its just terribly complicated and overly melodramatic. Its actually become painful to watch.

When this series began here I watched about 3 episodes & thought it was shite, rightfully so. The 1st half of the 1st season was all people developing powers & Kal dealing with that, which got tired, formulaic, & crap. Then the writers caught onto actual character development & it's mostly been aces since then. Stand-out episodes like 'Ryan' are fucking brilliant & still bring a small tear to the eye(if I happen to drop a medicine ball on my crotch as I'm prone to do). Season 2 was kinda tight, & they're airing season 3/4 here now(which I've caught infrequently) & it's looking pretty awesome. In terms of continuity, the show couldn't be done right if that were the case. I reckon they've put too much weight on Lana since as far as anyone knows she's just gonna be a notch in the belt one day next to Lois, but they still insist on the suspenseful 'will they or won't they?' dance. I'm a pretty big fan of Kal, & they're treating him pretty right. Jeph Loeb's creative consultanty yeah?