Hondo's Bar

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

The NZA

Metal_Gear_Solid_PEACE_WALKER_logo_c.png

alright, so past my disappointment that the gorgeous Big Boss/Naked Snake render isnt a PS3 game, this could be so cool. Im all for more Cold War era Big Boss shit (post MGS3), and this one clearly seems to be setting up the origin of Outer Heaven, picking up where the ending of Portable Ops left off. Cant wait for this.

i dunno either, and the last bit of the trailer (snakes?) is confusing shit. still, again, i hope this frees up Kojima and much of his team for other projects/franchises, finally. id hate to see him get bungie'd.

In Famitsu, Konami revealed that Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is a continuation of MGS3, Kojima hopes to have over 100 hours of gameplay in the final product; and the game is being developed by the MGS4 team

Still sad it's not on the ps3, but this is good news...but if this is the case, who's making Rising?

• 2 months later...

it can work if its like VR and just for the fuck of it.

Kojima's trying to get me to think of this as a big-budget game, so im gonna look at it like that, and hope it magically controls better than Portable Ops despite the same layout.

• 7 months later...

ongoing conference seems mostly about the crossover shit - uh, dorito's, in-game shirts, a boss from Monster Hunter (?), and sony's putting out a limited edition Walkman from the game :2T: .

something about Square doing figures from it, which look tight so far:

2sb737k.jpg

kojima's crazy, news at 11

*edit: is that a Big Boss Che shirt? oh, shit, do want.

242cxgi.jpg

*edit 2: here it is, in all its glory! poor dino doesnt stand a chance.

GAF is saying kojima's people did the dion-render without capcom's help/by eye. that's pretty cool.

2nuhftw.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

...anyone else playing this one yet? fans of MGS3 (which is, to say, the best of the series) need to get on this.

The plot so far is awesome, and it's picking up soon after 3 ends (but before Portable Ops, it seems?), game combines some of the best stuff of PO and the digital graphic novels - there's a ton of stuff in the background if you decide to go through mission briefs, character stuff and optional in-game codecs, but yeah, again, Ashley Wood's art animated + Hayter & co voice-overs is a great formula.

Literally the only thing holding this back for me is the controls, and Kojima clearly did what he could here. i chose MGS4 style (default), which means you move with the nub on the left, 4 buttons on the right work as the camera...you can see where this is tricky. When you're sniping/tranquilizing from a distance, you can take time & set up your shots; when you're on alert/being bumrushed, you really have to grab the M16 and switch to auto-aim, or the camera will make you hate your life. It's obviously unfortunate, and a few hours in, im (mostly) past it, though it makes boss fights a bit tricky.

Desire to play this with dual analogs aside: graphics, sound & everything else are strong, and i can totally see this as MGS 5/a full campaign, but it's more accurately 3.5 or something - which is again to say its (so far) a quieter story that's not nearly as bogged down by Kojima's insanity. Product placement stuff & hinting at the possible Monster Hunter crossover are a bit weird, but fortunately, years of Kojima have my mind ready to look past these things.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

You set off an alert? You are obviously doing it wrong. Didn't you get Big Boss rank in part 4?

i am so not doing my first playthrough nearly that hardcore, you maniac!

though i admit, the majority of them are me losing patience and not using the sensor/binoculars/etc, a few i can blame on issues with camera control. if you get get yourself stationary behind something with no visibility, you can pan the camera all around (even around walls, like before), and the maps aren't huge, but they're plenty big for a PSP game...remember that this one's more like MGS3, so you spend a lotta time out in the jungle...green camo soldiers can be tricky at certain angles.

last level i was in featured sentries upstairs on railways/etc...that totally fucked me up, i kept thinking "WTF HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE RIGHT HERE OH FUCK IM CAUGHT?!". Seriously, if the plot & MGS:PO scheme of building my army & divisions wasn't so cool, i'd totally be bitching about the controls more here, but you just wanna make it work cause it's the kinda game i'd wanted more from part 4.

• 4 weeks later...

finished early this morning - clocked in just about 30 hours (spent a fair amount of time grinding by way of side missions to "recruit" (capture) new members for my squad: i did alright, filled up the engineering and medical teams + mess hall, intel and combat team still have room. truth be told, there's a fuckton of game left here: 100 extra ops (for weapons/equipment/rare recruits: ive done maybe 25), RPG-like sidemissions (i did about half) and secret ones too, including the big Monster Hunter crossover fight! all that, and i didn't even touch the multi yet, which brings me to...

...holy fuck, the last boss took me almost 2 hours. the successful fight clocked in over 30 minutes; i imagine it can be done faster, but not with the strategy i came up with. i get why you're supposed to fight him with a few friends, cause goddamn.

the story's good, by way of Kojima's insanity: fun with politics/history and the odd cultural references squeezed in, it's a fine followup to MGS3 (still the best in the series, my opinion), i think the only hole here is that the game's most emotional moments hinge on the big finale to 3, and rubbing that in your face ( :misty: - speaking of, you absolutely must play 3 first, i think).

I totally get why Kojima's team was calling this 5 - presentation-wise, it looks and sounds great. it combines the best elements of Portable Ops + (team/base-building) and the digital graphic novels (again, Ashley Wood's art is a thousand times better in motion/voiced over). there's a full campaign to be found here...but even saying that, it's hard to recommend overall.

this is entirely because of the controls. oh god, the controls. The team clearly did the best they could with what they had here, but when it fails you, it's just awful: switching items/guns while standing still in-game has obvious consequences. when you're on alert and get swarmed, you absolutely have to go to auto-aim....and that can fail you as well. the same problems of MGS' past - orientation, enemies disappearing when looking too close (especially in 1st person mode), constant blind spots etc are totally here, but picture going to 1st person mode while standing still and slowly panning the camera over to a few dudes shooting you. it's fucking awful, and other times, you switch to auto-aim just to have snake insist on aiming at walls - i kept thinking he might be aiming at a dude coming down the stairs behind that wall, but even that wasn't the case sometimes...id line up near the 2 or 3 guys shooting me, hit L to go in auto-aim, and boom, rotate 90 degrees to be looking at a wall while being shot up.

for heated battles (like the finale - those the last 2 acts are awesome and crazy-challenging), i had to stop at times for the nub hurting my thumb (being stunned forces you to rub the shit out of it for like 10+ seconds), and again, managing items/weapons on the go - especially in the last battle which requires you to switch between all 3 at a moment's notice - you constantly feel like you'd pay large amounts to play this with a dual analog. the only way i made this workable at times in said finale - the chore of trying to move in one direction, keep the camera focused & shoot in the other - was with a missile launcher that was like the stinger in MGS1, auto-locking after a few seconds (and taking the shot a split-second before the @$#%er jumped). your mileage may vary, perhaps it was just me, but far too many deaths were control related vs my own legit fuckups (rushing in/impatience etc). they did what they could to make CQC more viable with this setup, but trying to hold enemies up was an art i never managed, which is a shame since i mastered it in part 2.

awesome game. be prepared for rough bits towards the end, and pray that sony lets you play PSN PSP games on the PS3 someday when they move onto the PSP2 or something.

• 3 months later...

OK. Watch this Video (bare with the commercial) and look at the 0:49 mark:

<embed width="640" height="360" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:ifilm:video:spike.com:3503851" quality="high" bgcolor="000000" name="efp" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="autoPlay=false" allowfullscreen="true"></embed><div style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12px; background-color: #000; width: 640px; padding: 3px 0; color: #fff;"><a href="http://www.spike.com/video/world-premieres-2010/3503851" style="color: #ffcc35; margin-left: 5px;">World Premieres 2.010</a> | <a href="http://www.spike.com/channel/videogames" style="color: #ffcc35">Games & Gadgets</a> | <a href="http://www.spike.com/" style="color: #ffcc35">SPIKE.com</a></div>

C'MON!!!!!! I dunno where I'm going this this. Just to be clear on something though, Peace Walker isn't even in the running for any award. That's right. Blasphemous, I know. So why even flaunt the logo? Something is definitely up. Thoughts?

Mine:

mrDpR.jpg

That is all.

Archived