Hondo's Bar

Gran Turismo 5

The NZA

• 1 year later...

For the one guy in our group who cares.

Retailing for $99.99 SRP, the Collector's Edition includes a 1:43 scale collectible diecast car, a 300-page guide to cars and racing techniques, a GT-branded key chain, a voucher for five (5) DLC cars, and a numbered certificate of authenticity, all housed in stylish, premium packaging.

Collector's Edition Content Details:

Gran Turismo® 5 game

Exclusive limited edition 1:43 scale diecast 2009 Nissan GT-R Spec V with custom Gran Turismo livery designed by Polyphony Digital, produced by well-known collectible car maker Kyosho

In-depth 300-page car-lover’s guide written by the experts at Polyphony Digital, covering everything from the history of the modern automobile to driving techniques and game reference material

Custom etched Gran Turismo key chain

Voucher for five (5) exclusive high-end cars with custom Gran Turismo livery and performance upgrades

Numbered certificate of authenticity

Custom collector’s packaging

mvt8k7.jpg

holy fuck at the list of features

Night/Day transition

Track Editor

Stunt Arenas

32 player lobbies

16 player races

Spectator mode

Weather

200 PS4 cars and 800 standard cars

Nascar license

WRC license

Super GT license

Rolling and damage (eerily real weight)

1st person walkabout photo mode

YouTube uploading

1080p

PS Eye headtracking

Motion controls

HDMI 1.4 3D @ 60fps

Split-screen

Best graphics in any driving game (lighting, physics driven smoke, attention to detail..etc)

Real life tracks recreated in maddening quality (up to 2 year dev times)

20+ locations with 70+ variations

PSP Connectivity

Go karts to Rally to classics to sport to Drag car, ordinary cars...etc etc etc

Animated drivers, pit crews, tire changes etc

Text and Voice chat

Narrative involvement by popular drivers and Top Gear crew

Top Gear Test Track

Open free-form Track Days

Profile pages

In-game (bulletin-board) message boards

Gran Turismo Video store

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

TGS Weather trailer

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/gallery/d9859n2.html

Red Bull TGS trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl2DEwcSSmc

Direct Feed X1 trailer

Quote:

Sony Computer Entertainment today announced a unique partnership between Gran Turismo® and Red Bull Racing to create a virtual car which will push the boundaries of motorsports. The Gran Turismo development team at Polyphony Digital posed the simple question, ‘If you built the fastest racing car on land, one that throws aside all rules and regulations, what would that car look like, how would it perform and how would it feel to drive?” With the assistance of Red Bull Racing’s technology and the knowledge of their Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey , Polyphony Digital were able to produce the answer in the form of the “X1 Prototype” which will be playable in Gran Turismo 5.

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/...21242903200135

Not only a first day buy but I'm thinking about getting a good high quality wheel... anyone have any experience with this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so is this game all that it's cracked up to be?

no.

all you purists flame all you want but they shoulda taken out go karts, nascar and whatever bells and whistles and keep it real. focus on the cars that you are working with. hopefully the broken online works one day (prologue took forever to start a match, hope this will be an improvement)

1. not all cars have cockpit view, seems like only the ones that are available brand new do

2. there is no fast forward or rewind in replay mode - How can you not have this?!?

3. some car models are completely unfinished and look like they came from a ps2 port. BAD!

4. shadowing effects on vehicles not better than competitors

5. prologue layout and menus are actually better

6. why the hell i gotta race the same races twice once for a-spec and once for b-spec?? (if i want to win the prize cars fully)

7. no fast forward in b-spec (hope they didn't take out the spec switch for endurance races)

8. loading times everywhere/menu/finish/ok/next/ blah blah blah

9. special events hard as balls (nascar, go cart and the notorious top gear test with lotus that has butter for wheels that i spent something like 1.5 hr on with auto and driving line)

All is not fail:

1. environments and tracks are great

2. getting in the car starts engine sound

3. graphics are good if you're not using a car mapped from ps2

4. detail in showroom

5. 3d must be awesome.

i'm something like level 12 now, so i hope i discover more positives to come. but with all these gripes, this could be the most unhappy gt i have encountered. forza 3 is honestly a better game all round and is more forgiving to racing sim newbies.

....wow. yeah, i've skimmed a bit on reviews, kinda were more forgiving but made it sound like the lows (PS2 level ports) were awful, and the highs were god-tier.

still:

all you purists flame all you want but they shoulda taken out go karts, nascar and whatever bells and whistles and keep it real

you got a weird definition of purists, man. :2T:

I'm sitting on this until I finish AC: Brotherhood... I hear there are numerous patches coming to fix some gripes with it (you think that after what, 4-5 years of making it, they'd have all this shit down) so maybe by the time I get around to it I'll have no complaints with it.

I've heard some rather disparaging things about it, as well as the above. I'm cautious, but I'm sure I'll love it.

i have not really read anything as to what people have been writing about this game, so had no idea they were taking ps2 models to put into this game or that the reviews have been very good. mabye they are playing another game? thought they were doing ALL the cars in hd. funny you know and i don't being the gt fan that i am (was). but when i was referring to purists (and mabye fanboys would be a better term), it was in the sense that gt was the be all end all of racing.

what they did here was increase the frustration and show how forza is more fun to play.

They said they were doing 2 different tiers of car detail/damage from early on in production, I've not seen what the lower tier car looks like, but I'd doubt its actually ps2 quality graphics.

As for me, I like a difficult racing game. I found forza 2 far far too easy for my own good. Only difficulty I had in them was keeping concentration for the endurance races.

Fanboy ahoy here, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Archived