Hondo's Bar

How have you NOT seen this movie!?! v3.0

Which comedies on the list have you NOT seen?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before you complain about a missing film make sure you've voted on this poll right here. I focused on mainly 80s on up, but tried to include a few choices that span the decades. I know they should be on here somewhere, but I couldn't really decide which single Chaplin, Marx Bros., Buster Keaton, Laurel & Hardy, Abbot & Costello, or Three Stooges (which were mostly shorts anyway) flick to put on so I left 'em off altogether.

^^ Gawd damnit man! Blues Bros is on sale at Wal-Mart for $5. Rectify this sin tomorrow, bub. Annie Hall is one of Woody Allen's most revered films.--haven't seen it myself either. 9 to 5 is a fuckin' classic. Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Dabney Coleman... deals with bdsm & sexual harassment in the office--heady stuff for a mainstream comedy in the early 80s.

Nick, you've never heard of Annie Hall? I only saw it for the first time a few months back, but I've been aware of it's existence for years? It definitely has a distinct 70's editing style that comes of as so remarkably unslick that it's distracting, the but the stuff in there about the nature of romantic and sexual relationships is still pretty modern even by today's standards, I think, and it's one of the few movies that can break the fourth wall (where Woody Allen's character will turn to look at the camera and talk directly to the audience, fully 'aware' that he's in a movie) and make it work. Lindsay would probably hate it for feeling old, but it's a good movie.

^^Absolutely right, Nick.

Only for a jabroni. Christ on a stick, dude, this is the 3rd one of these we've done. :sarcasm:

What? I can't use that exscuse cause I'm not from Florida? Also I'm clearly not the only one who did it.

Also: Twins, care to explain yourself?

What? I can't use that exscuse cause I'm not from Florida? Also I'm clearly not the only one who did it.

Also: Twins, care to explain yourself?

What explanation is needed? It was a popular comedy starring one of the world's biggest movie stars. What, you'd rather Jingle All The Way on instead?

What explanation is needed? It was a popular comedy starring one of the world's biggest movie stars. What, you'd rather Jingle All The Way on instead?

I was under the impression that this was a list of "Must see" movies and as shitty as Jingle All the Way was it was more of a "must see" than Twins. Come on, you coulda put City Slickers or something else people remember as anything more than a bad dream, why didn't you just put My Giant as well just to round out the a-budget movies nobody saw.

What, that the thread involving popular movies should actually feature movies that were popular?

It was a popular movie. WTF are you talking about? You'd have a better time w/ that argument for The Three Amigos. You're coming off to me a bit desperate for debate here. This is a non-argument.

yeah, Twins was popular baytor, how's that outside the criteria? or are you saying its inclusion means every other popular comedy from said time needs to be in, then?

DoJ - do you normally find yourself enjoying Mel Brooks comedy, though? History of the world, Men in Tights, Spaceballs etc?

how's life stinks? never saw that. on the monty python note, life of brian was grand. and yeah, wayne's world does apply. i cant see bill & ted being here without them.

personally, im only saddened by the lack of I'm gonna get you, sucka. Airplane all but makes up for Naked Gun, that's just the one im missing here.

yeah, Twins was popular baytor, how's that outside the criteria?

Look at the list of movies up there. We have a lot of cult and non-cult classics with huge fanbases that go to theater showings, conventions, they go and meet the directors and stars and they're movies that are still talked about widely in circles everywhere. They're shown on TV almost constantly or in the cases of some of the more mainstream ones like Ace Ventura and Austin Powers, their influence on popular culture is so strong that you would have to be actively trying to have not seen them.

Then we have Twins. A modestly big-budget comedy from the 90s with Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzennegar, he's a tall muscular German guy and he's a short fat Italian guy, and they're twins. The thing is, where's the lines everyone's quoting, where's the fanboys, where's anybody who gives a fuck about the movie as anything other than a moderetly good 90s comedy with Devito and Shwarzennegar. I mean it wasn't bad, but what sets it apart from all the other family friendly Schwarzennegar vehicles he did in the 90s like Kindergarten Cop, Jingle All the Way, and Junior? I don't see why this is considered a film that somebody has to see to call themself a movie fan. I personally wouldn't feel like I'd missed anything if I hadn't seen it.

I mean The Whole Nine Yards was a good movie that did pretty well (good enough for a sequel) and God knows I loved it, but it doesn't deserve a place on this list. Same with I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, one of my favorite movies of all time but not an obvious movie that everybody would have seen. (God damn I fucking love that movie, though)

Archived