Hondo's Bar

Avengers: Siege

The NZA

Just read Siege 2. Spoilers ahoy!

Heimdall breaks up Ares' fight with Balder to inform him that Osborn lied to him about the nature of the attack. Needless to say Ares is pissed.

Meanwhile Osborn and Moonstone place Thor under arrest, but he is saved by a timely bazooka attack from Maria Hill. Moonstone & X-Ray fly in to taker her out, and both are smacked down by Thor.

Elsewhere Steve Rogers rallies together the New Avengers, Young Avengers, and Nick Fury and his Secret Warriors to aid Thor and Asgard.

Cut back to Asgard where Ares attacks Osborn for lying to him, and as predictable as possible Osborn presses his "I WIN" button: Sentry. :bored:

Not even really a fight just watching Ares get smacked around and show how ridiculously overpowered Sentry is (completely mute during this issue btw) and taking a page out of Black Adam during 52, right in front of the Asgardians, Dark Avengers and the media, Sentry rips Ares in half. :sad:

Cut back to Roger's crew prepping to go, Fury Mr. In-The-Know decides to leave Phobos behind. Big WTF here considering HE would be the most able to induce pussy mode moment in Sentry. But no, that would only resolve things. We can't have that. Not until the end anyway. :)

Cut back to Broxton Main Street, Wolvie Jr. hunts down Maria Hill & Thor only to get fried (no doubt temporarily :sarcasm: ) from a bot of lightning by Thor. Final shot ends with Taskmaster telling Osborn to turn around as a reflection in Iron Patriot's helmet of Cap's shield is shown flying towards Osborn.

Disappointing IMO to say the least.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...really? i enjoyed it.

totally didnt see Sentry doing in Ares, and watching Thor remind Daken what league he runs in was fun. seeing the old/new teams coming together is fun, and its starting to look more & more like this whole effort's gonna be less about osborn and more about Sentry (who might be also under loki's thumb, for all i know?). no idea how theyre gonna take him down: X-Man? Infinity Gauntlet? Therapy?

Just read Siege 2. . .

. . .Disappointing IMO to say the least.

I couldn't disagree more. I only read a third of Dark Reign stuff at best and have never been interested in the Asgardians. However, I found this single issue itself to be better than almost all of Secret Invasion combined.

When Thor

deep fried Daken? OMFG!!!11! Jarvis gives Cap "the suit"case to take to Tony. Great reaction by Cap. Maria Hill bazooka's Osborn--classic! And the motherfuckin Sentry rips apart AresNot to mention that last page where the shiled is reflected in Osborn's mask--awesome!.

How the fuck can that be disappointing?

The only complaint I have is I don't dig how Copiel draws Steve Rogers as Cap. Not diggin' it.

he does draw him pretty square-jawed (like so with Thor) but Copiel's the man for this event, i think. dude's got the ability to draw much of the Marvel U looking great, not many guys can pull that off for me.

i gotta know what's in that case.

• 1 month later...

that i did, sir.

military should've listened to the avengers, but hey, the president doesnt listen to jack sometimes, either.

The Sentry/Void with his "how many gods do i have to kill today?" line...god, it's going to feel good seeing him go down at this point, prolly better than Osborn. you should read Dark Avengers, they kinda set up some shit too.

guess the gig is up, eh?

You ever notice how all the heroes who can beat this week's threat are always conveniently out of town when this shit happens? Ghost Riders(s) is off playing Easy Rider(s), all the cosmic guys are in space (though it's painfully obvious who's going to take down The Sentry), and every single Hulk is too busy falling.

I've always seen Thor as Marvel's Superman and I still do, Sentry is Marvel's Superboy Prime and he's quick becoming just as fucking annoying.

that's a pretty good analogy, there's something on Miracle Man/sidekick in there too i wanna say.

yeah, to tone down the potential deus ex-ing, you gotta take the powerful pieces off the board: Planet Hulk did this beautifully for Civil War. makes sense, too....i loved Onslaught in the day, but really, when the Hulk can just show up and pound your existential problem into jelly, its hard to feel as threatened.

that's a pretty good analogy, there's something on Miracle Man/sidekick in there too i wanna say.

yeah, to tone down the potential deus ex-ing, you gotta take the powerful pieces off the board: Planet Hulk did this beautifully for Civil War. makes sense, too....i loved Onslaught in the day, but really, when the Hulk can just show up and pound your existential problem into jelly, its hard to feel as threatened.

Yeah I think that's where things got really fumbled with World War Hulk. Ghost Rider showed up but wasn't able to best The Hulk because the demon had more important shit to do, The Juggernaut got stuck in the ground for 3 minutes and for some reason never felt the urge to pursue a fight after Hulk talked to Xavier and left, all the space people just kind of hang out in their own little corner until Galactus tries to eat the Earth or some shit. And the trio of convenient plot twists (Pym, Richard, and Stark) only seem to be able to pull a deus ex whenever the writers can't come up with a better idea.

Though Emma Frost and Phobos both could best the Sentry and conveniently neither of them is about. Of course we all know who's going to show up all Super-SaiyanKree and save the day here. It's like Marvel thinks we forget that detail.

you know, i almost did, for a moment there

curious though, as it came to mind as soon as i finished Siege 2: why do you think Phobos wouldnt take a very strong interest here? i know Fury benched him, but if you play for his team, that's gotta be like a hand-invite to show up anyway and kick ass in hopes of him nodding in your general direction, if even by accident. i mean...

that was his dad, dude.

. the god of fear, even as a kid, should have a swell time with a neurotic...dark...spider-thing.

though now that you mention it, your direction does seem more obvious.

you're basically caught up, though. Dark Avengers sets up what's going on with Sentry mostly (in the last few issues) and Thor obviously how he ended up exiled/Asgard in Latveria etc. theyre both good & worth reading, but at this point you know where they're going at least.

oh: what baytor's referencing as kinda inevitable...i think that was either dark or new avengers annual? i wanna say it was bachalo, was a solo story about where the fuck Marvel Boy ran off to after ditching the Dark Avengers.

whaaaaat

i gotta go read that shit. im glad one of us is.

I didn't read the issue in MA yet, but I knew he bit the big one (for now); there was a special tribute issue out on stands last week for him.

*edit*

I just read Incredible Herc #141, seems that's the issue it happens in and not in MA

• 1 month later...

eh, kinda agree, kinda disagree.

Siege was fun, and short, like WWH should've been. space cowboy & panch were talking up ideas for Sentry (use him like Dr Midnight in Watchmen, etc) but honestly, they had no plan for him, might as well unite the Avengers in taking him off the table. At least Thor got the honors.

thing is, the bar's kinda low for events launching into new status quos: Amazing Spider-Man is great right now, once you (try to) forget about One More Day/Brand New Day. Ultimates (the Millar one) is fun if you can forget Ultimatum. as far as events go, Siege was better for me than Secret Invasion and House of M, plus im liking what they're building so far with the Avengers and all. Dark Reign was fun enough for me to read most books outside the Initiative. so i got no complaints on this one...but i really do hope this Heroic Age means more self-contained arcs and single-issue stuff.

if this was the bow to wrap up everything since Dissasembled, im cool.

So it appears that I was absolutely wrong and instead they just pulled an ending out of their asses. Oh well at least the 500-pound gorilla in the room is off the table. (Though it would be ludicrously easy for them to bring it back if they really wanted to)

I read all the spoilers from the last two pages, wondered if this was the event I'd been looking for in Secret Invasion & the like and not found, but then you guys have all set me at ease by confirming it's mediocre ending.

PS- Having just reread Disassembled & HoM, fuck youse haters, NZA. That shit was gold

Archived