Hondo's Bar

Star Wars Schwag

Mr. Hakujin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Recently hit the new Star Tours 2.0 @ Disney World during Star Wars Weekends.Here's a slideshow of some of the merch that was on hand. I went a lil' crazy purchasing the Disney exclusive SW swag...

Ms. H got the white & blue tee in the lower left corner.

5643539519_7239092891_o.jpg

While I got this one, which isn't a Star Tours exclusive tee, but ti was my favorite of the bunch. And I pulled this shot off the web, so I've no idea what that is in the upper right corner...

star-wars-disneyland-disney-mickey-mouse-stormtrooper-2009.jpg

I also got these figures:

Vader Goofy/Emperor Stitch box set

AAAACzc4Zt4AAAAAATMBiw.jpg?v=1298863039000

Minnie as the Mighty Boushh bounty hunter

minnie_leia_disguise__81765_zoom.jpg

Donald as Carbonite frozen Han

Legacy_Exclusive_DonaldTrooper.jpg

Bad Pete as Boba Fett

10_Exclusive_BadPeteBoba.jpg

X-Wing pilot Mickey

008_300_090706.jpg

And Stormtrooper Donald

90321897-260x260-0-0_Disney+Disney+Star+Wars+Donald+Duck+Stormtrooper.jpg

For some reason I also bought this thing in my shopping frenzy. (It got ugly, people.)

303-2044-1.jpg

And I also bought three Vinylmation figures. They're the kind that come in a sealed box and you don't know what you get until you open it. I really wanted Boba Fett or a Stormtrooper. However, these were NOT cheap, and after getting C3P0 I decided to quit while I was ahead. I also got Lando & Vader.

star_wars_vinylmation.jpg

The chase figure is Obi-Wan and the "ultra rare" chase figure is Obi-Wan's ghost.

Obi-Wan+Force+Ghost+Vinylmation+Star+Wars.jpg

Obi-Wan+Chase+Vinylmation+Star+Wars.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

10221-0000-xx-14-1_610x381.jpg

On September 1st, Lego will release the Super Star Destroyer Executor set. When built, it will be four feet long and weigh 8 lbs. It will consist of 3,152 bricks. It will have a removable section with a command bridge underneath, and come with Darth Vader and the bounty hunters you see above. It will cost $400.

Unsure if these have been posted but

ecko-hoodies.jpg

Saw these at a Macy's or similar in San Fran, to my dying day I shall regret not purchasing that awesome Xwing pilot jacket. Like everything else, I blame san Francisco for my diminished logic.

• 1 month later...

a heartwarming story about lucas bullying a fellow creator, and losing

George Lucas loses Stormtrooper battle at Supreme Court

A prop designer who made the original Stormtrooper helmets for Star Wars has won his battle with director George Lucas over his right to sell replicas.

Andrew Ainsworth, 62, of south west London successfully argued the costumes were functional not artistic works, and so not subject to full copyright laws.

Judges at the Supreme Court upheld a 2009 Court of Appeal decision allowing Mr Ainsworth to continue selling them.

Lucasfilm said the court had maintained an "anomaly" of British copyright law.

Both the Court of Appeal and the High Court have already ruled in Mr Ainsworth's favour in his multi-million pound battle with Mr Lucas's production company.

The father-of-two has been selling copies of his plastic composite armour and helmets - from the original 1977 film - for eight years.

He uses the same studio in Twickenham from which he made the original costumes, and charges up to £1,800.

In 2004, Lucasfilm sued for $20m (£12m) arguing he did not hold the intellectual property rights and had no right to sell them - a point upheld by a US court.

But the judgement could not be enforced because the designer held no assets in the US, so the battle moved to the UK.

The Star Wars creator, worth an estimated £2bn, claimed Mr Ainsworth was breaching his copyright.

He took his case to the High Court in 2008, Court of Appeal a year later, and earlier this year to the Supreme Court - the highest court in the land.

That court has now also ruled that the 3D works should not be considered sculptures, which means their copyright protection is 15 years from the date they were marketed, and had therefore expired.

A Lucasfilm spokesman said the court's decision maintained "an anomaly of British copyright law under which the creative and highly artistic works made for use in films... may not be entitled to copyright protection in the UK".

The company said that protection would have been given in "virtually every other country in the world".

"Lucasfilm remains committed to aggressively protecting its intellectual property rights relating to Star Wars in the UK and around the globe," the spokesman said.

_51966828_ainsworth-top-shot.jpg

more

A prop designer who made the original Stormtrooper helmets for Star Wars has won his copyright battle with director George Lucas over his right to sell replicas. The five-year saga, which ended in the highest court in the land, has stakes of galactic proportions.

For a man who has spent half a decade and almost £700,000 fighting the full force of a movie mogul's legal team, Andrew Ainsworth has refused to be weighed down.

He has had bailiffs at his door demanding $20m (£12m) and has defended the onslaught in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court - not to mention the US.

But like the iconic characters he helped create as a 27-year-old art school graduate - and which still surround him in the same modest workshop 35 years later - he has become battle hardened.

"You've got to decide right at the start, can you afford the downside?" he says.

"And you've got to be able to live with it and be under no disillusions that if it all goes wrong, you're scuppered, you're bankrupt... I think if you're in a small business on your own you know the bottom line."

He says it is hard to accept when something you create is taken off you, and adds it has been a struggle because he went to court on a principle, against accepted wisdom.

The journey has certainly been long for the father-of-two, who has been selling his plastic composite helmets and body armour from his studio in Twickenham, south west London, for eight years now.

It was in 2002, when struggling to pay school fees, that he first sold a helmet and "bits and pieces" gathering dust on top of his wardrobe.

To his surprise they fetched £60,000 at Christie's, leaving him in no doubt about their potential.

"The phone didn't stop ringing... I dug out the old moulds, cleaned them down and made a few helmets," he says.

The hard core fans recognised them as the real thing, he recalls, but by the time he had sold 19 or so to the US, so did Lucas.

But the judgement could not be enforced because the designer held no assets in the US, so the battle moved to the UK.

Although no paperwork was ever signed between Mr Ainsworth and Lucas, it was ruled there was an "implied contract".

Nevertheless, the High Court rejected the multi-billionaire director's claim and the focus switched to design rights, specifically whether the helmets sold were works of art or merely industrial props.

If Lucasfilm could convince the courts the 3D works were sculptures, they would be protected by copyright for the life of the author plus 70 years.

If not, the copyright protection would be reduced to 15 years from the date they were marketed, meaning it would have expired and Mr Ainsworth would be free to sell them.

The High Court and Court of Appeal found in Mr Ainsworth's favour, and despite Lucas being backed by directors Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Peter Jackson, the Supreme Court has now followed suit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...