Hondo's Bar

John Mayer Breaks Down in Tears After Public Apology

Mr. Hakujin

John Mayer's Nashville fans were treated to more than just a rock concert last night. They also got a lengthy, tearful apology, delivered mid-song, and the promise - or threat, depending on how one feels about the musician - that he'd be quitting what he referred to as "the media game."

"I'm out. I'm done. I just want to play my guitar," said Mayer during the closing song, "Gravity."

The announcement comes after a misguided interview with Playboy magazine landed Mayer in hot water. In the story, Mayer made racist comments and spoke explicitly about his relationship with ex-girlfriend Jessica Simpson.

"In the quest to be clever I completely forgot about the people I love and the people that love me," he said from the stage. "I decided I would be as clever as possible all the time and I did that at the expense of people I love and that feels absolutely terrible."

Mayer broke down as he announced his exit from "the sound bite game, the media game" and introduced his backing band, whom he thanked for standing by him and supporting him. "Everybody on this stage is here playing with me not because they condone what I say.... They are on this stage because they support me as a possible future grown-up," he said, as the crowd cheered. One of Mayer's backing vocalists was in tears.

Mayer, known for giving juicy and often controversial sound bites to the press, had first taken to his Twitter account to try to do damage control. "Re: using the 'N word' in an interview: I am sorry that I used the word. And it's such a shame that I did because the point I was trying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself. It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it, because I realize that there's no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged," he wrote, in a series of posts.

A few posts later he was even more contrite, "I should have never said the word and I will never say it again." By the time he hit the stage that night, he was done not only with that word, but with speaking to the press entirely.

In a January Rolling Stone interview, Mayer hinted at the struggle to think before he speaks. "I will continue to make these worldwide dignity mistakes as often as it takes to not make them anymore," he said. One would hope he has finally learned the lesson.

Mr. Wayne responds:

wayne.jpg

"Someone asked me the other day, “What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?” And by the way, it’s sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass if you really have a hood pass? But I said, “I can’t really have a hood pass. I’ve never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, ‘We’re full.’”

When asked if he ever dated a black woman, he also said something along the lines of "my penis is a white supremacist."

He's a total douchebag, but that has nothing to do with this interview. He was just trying (very hard, as usual) to be witty and casual.

"Someone asked me the other day, "What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?" And by the way, it's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass if you really have a hood pass? But I said, "I can't really have a hood pass. I've never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, 'We're full.'"

When asked if he ever dated a black woman, he also said something along the lines of "my penis is a white supremacist."

uhhh... ^_^

ok, not awesome. i see the point he was going for in the first paragraph, and without the n-word itd've basically worked. even in context, that'dve worked. negro, coloured, any kinda ironic use wouldve fit better. fuck, he'd faired half-decent with "coon pass" in comparison.

the 2nd bit...there's prolly a clever way to say "im not attracted to black chicks" but that definitely wasnt it.

hahaha...i guess "your body is a wonderland" is kinda creepy in that way. i think he can hold a tune and plays alright, i dont ask for too much from my musicians in that regard.

what got me into him, though, was there's this like 5-6 track acoustic album i came across, most of the same songs that got him big but sounding a lot better without all the extra production. ive only heard his singles since then, but i rather liked that album.

See, I have to disagree with Nick. I don't see the problem with him using the actual word 'nigger' as long as he wasn't using it with intent.

I mean, we might as well get on thelogan's case for not blanking 'nigger' out when he quoted Mayer.

in the context he's using it in - before the 2nd quote, which doesnt help, mind - its fine...but unwise. we can (and do) have discussions on why that is & the specifics, but the reality of it is its a potentially career-ending word right now, so it need be used with caution. here, he could've made the same point with a number of other racial slurs and been a whole lot better off for it.

Archived