Hondo's Bar

Final Fantasy XIV

The NZA

2dwcg8l.png

wait, what?

Looks like the PlayStation 3 is getting a double dose of Final Fantasy next year, as Sony reveals a new online Final Fantasy XIV for the PlayStation 3. Yes, XIV.

A complete and utter surprise to the entire audience, Final Fantasy XIV will be coming to the PlayStation 3 exclusively next year, assumedly after Final Fantasy XIII is released. A brief trailer was shown which looked very much like Final Fantasy XI, with the text "A new online epic begins."

So it sounds like an exclusive, massively multiplayer online game for the PlayStation 3. We'll have more as soon as there is more to have!

Update: Note that FInal Fantasy XIV is console exclusive to the PlayStation 3, with the PC also getting a version.

bish was saying this was an odd call, given the FF XI community on Live and how it was one of the few games square tossed their way, but, eh - free online! until you gotta pay for a square pass or whatever.

I figure this announcement is very exciting to a small number of people.

eupizq.jpg

23lzii9.jpg

2r26fs6.jpg

• 9 months later...

This is why people complained about Final Fantasy 11 being an MMORPG, because now it's sequel is taking up the space for 14 and we have to wait longer for another real game. Would it really have killed them to just call it Final Fantasy Online?

This is why people complained about Final Fantasy 11 being an MMORPG, because now it's sequel is taking up the space for 14 and we have to wait longer for another real game. Would it really have killed them to just call it Final Fantasy Online?

btw crazy crazy idea.... it's called it has it's own development team!!!!!

go figure huh, I thought for the longest that all companies had only 1 dev team too...

sorry I just don't get why people say shit like this, I really doubt any delays in the next single players game will have anything to do with this.

I know, most people disagree that FF11 is a numbered sequel but guess what! Square does not give a shit and you might as well suck it up and deal with it because they will keep doing this with their MMOs.

That being said, i've played FF11 since day 1, I run a clan on there and we already have forums and a site up for 14. It looks awesome and I can't wait to try it.

ah, an FF XI player here...tell me, what other MMO's have you played, and how did this fare? i was always curious how it managed to be FF-like with, you know, the genre kinda forcing it to drop the linear plot/etc you expect in the offline ones. what were the ups & downs of the game for you?

btw crazy crazy idea.... it's called it has it's own development team!!!!!

go figure huh, I thought for the longest that all companies had only 1 dev team too...

sorry I just don't get why people say shit like this, I really doubt any delays in the next single players game will have anything to do with this.

Yeah, they will. Because you see, they don't release a numeric game but at best once every 1 to 2 years (in the case of bigger games like 12 or such this takes longer) even if another one's already made and ready to ship it won't even be in the pipeline until the rust spots are starting to show on this one. 14 is an anomally in that they were doing promotions for it before even 13 was coming out in force. Regardless as we wait for this game's popularity to wax and wane, there will be a delay whether another team is furiously working or not.

Secondly, it's a sequel to Final Fantasy 11, they could at least call it Final Fantasy 11-2 because having it being another numeric game goes against the spirit of the series in that each game is a different game from the others. But excuse us my non-MMO playing plebian ways.

ah, an FF XI player here...tell me, what other MMO's have you played, and how did this fare? i was always curious how it managed to be FF-like with, you know, the genre kinda forcing it to drop the linear plot/etc you expect in the offline ones. what were the ups & downs of the game for you?

I've tried WoW because i love the Warcraft universe, done the Lineage 2 beta and Ragnarok online. I've also tried UO and EQ back in the day.

As for story I really love the stories XI tells, a lot of them aside from being "epic" can be heartwarming and at times sad. It feels like a FF game down to the classes (i play a Dragoon as my main) and while PvP really isn't a part of it I enjoy my time on there because it really is a global social experience.

Downside? Grinding. Now you may say "it's an MMO/RPG of course there's grinding" but up until recently there were very few classes that could solo, so finding parties was a bitch. For a long time it was hard to get your friends in to play with if you didn't have any jobs their level (this has been fixed by putting in a level sync system) and there is a lot of eliteism (which i guess is in any game) about which job combos are the best (you can equip 2 jobs at a time, the 2nd one being 1/2 your main jobs level). A lot of Japanese players don't enjoy playing with american players because of our attitude and on my server which is 50/50 English speakers and Japanese it makes late night/early morning parties a pain to get.

Bin080625225231a.jpg

19.jpg

Bin070624195612a.jpg

How to fail an endgame run.

I think the biggest reason I went out of WoW is that there was no point to the grinding I was doing at a certain point. I was killing a bunch of monsters for rep, I was grinding the rep for items, I was using these items to do just a little more damage. But the worst of it was the fact that my community was full of mutes or idiots and that the grinding was menial labor for trivial causes.

How different, then, is FFXI? And for that matter, would XIV actually be an improvement considering the skill system lets you switch roles constantly - wouldn't that rob the players of individuality?

I forgot to mention something about 11.

You lose XP when you die.

Yep, you can delevel and since you can die a lot in endgame raids you are always striving for more XP. At level 75 you can get a "merit point' every 10k XP, this allows you to permanently boost your characters stats, unlock final tier spells and special abilities.

Anyone can do any job. It's essential to the game actually since past level 18 you always have 2 jobs which means you're always leveling at least 2 jobs to keep them even. It may not make you an individual but it saves you from having 50 characters if you want to play 50 jobs, this helps esp with people who like to roleplay as they only have to juggle one character for roleplaying.

There are a lot of eliteist morons out there but just as many people if not more willing to help someone. In someways we are a warm and welcome community to be a part of. I've personally held a couple IRL meetups for my linkshell (clan) and we've had a lot of people move to Houston because of our clan. It's pretty awesome all around.

Archived