Hondo's Bar

Silent Hill 2

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179174

A torrent of hate mail won't stop Silent Hill 2 movie producer Don Carmondy from filming the follow-up this spring.

In a conversation with Fear.net (via Kotaku), Carmody revealed Silent Hill 2 is leaving the pre-production stage and will film this spring, regardless of gamer ire he may or may not receive.

"We have always been cognizant of that -- we can't make the movies just for gamers," Carmody told the website. "Of course, we always run the risk of incurring the wrath of the gamers -- who are very vocal. I did Silent Hill and we are planning a Silent Hill 2 -- we were getting hate mail for that one."

Silent Hill 2 is the sequel to Silent Hill. The original was directed by Christophe Gans, who was also the writer and director of Brotherhood of the Wolf and 1995's Crying Freeman. A director for the sequel has not been announced.

Correction: We originally published in error that Christopher Gans would be directing the Silent Hill sequel. That mistake has been rectified.

I wish Christopher Gans would come back, he was onto something in the first one that he just came short of by a small margin. I'm optimistic for this as I loved the first, let's hope they keep saying fuck you to the gamers and just do their own thing.

seconded, i too thought the movie did well to capture much of the feel. it played up the cult angle more than i would've, but that's a great deal better than the odd drug angle part 1 had.

seriously though, SH2's main story & "In Water" ending would work pretty well without the cult in the background.

I was thinking they could tell the Silent Hill 2 story from the point of view of Sean Bean's character returning to Silent Hill. I don't think they should go the same way that Silent Hill 2 went though. It was a great story but it would feel like a cop out (kinda did then too)

• 1 year later...

Silent Hill Revelation 3D: Oct. 26, 2012

Open Road Films has acquired all U.S. distribution rights to Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, the sequel to the 2006 film Silent Hill, released by TriStar Pictures. Silent Hill: Revelation 3D will be released wide October 26, 2012 in time for Halloween. The announcement was made today by Tom Ortenberg, CEO of Open Road Films and producers Samuel Hadida and Don Carmody.

Directed by Michael J. Bassett (Solomon Kane, Deathwatch), original cast members Sean Bean (HBO's "Game of Thrones," "The Lord of the Rings"), Deborah Kara Unger (The Game, 88 minutes, The Samaritan) and Radha Mitchell (Man on Fire, The Crazies) return in Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, starring along with rising stars Adelaide Clemens (X-Men Origins) and Kit Harington (HBO's "Game of Thrones") as well as Carrie-Anne Moss ("The Matrix" trilogy) and Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange, The Artist).

In Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, Heather Mason (Clemens) and her father (Bean) have been on the run, always one step ahead of dangerous forces that she doesn't fully understand. On the eve of her 18th birthday, plagued by horrific nightmares and the disappearance of her father, Heather discovers she's not who she thinks she is. The revelation leads her deeper into a demonic world that threatens to trap her forever.

Ortenberg stated, “'Silent Hill' has proven to be a powerhouse franchise. The fans have greeted each incarnation, including the original 'Silent Hill' film, with great enthusiasm and we are confident that this latest project will be a strong addition to Open Road’s 2012 slate.”

Producer Samuel Hadida added, “The film is a thrill ride that improves on the original in many ways. We take all audiences, new and old, deep into the world of psychological horror that is Silent Hill, and advance thestory for those familiar with the franchise. We are thrilled to have Tom and his terrific team at Open Road presenting our film to U.S. audiences.”

• 2 months later...

Archived