Hondo's Bar

Green Lantern

The NZA

yup

Cartoon Network Raises the Green Lantern

By Rob Bricken in Cartoons, Comics, TV Friday, May. 28 2010 @ 9:46AM green_lantern_first_flight_7-thumb-640x360.jpg

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Turner's Cartoon Network is planning a "Green Lantern" animated series.

Phil Kent, chairman and CEO of Time Warner's Turner networks unit, showed a slide with some of Cartoon Network's original programming here Thursday at TW's investor day.

It included the title "Green Lantern: The Animated Series."

Warner Bros. chairman and CEO Barry Meyer later in the day mentioned this as an example of increasing collaboration and coordination between his unit and Turner. He said the Cartoon show is based on the DC Comics character and Warner's "Green Lantern" movie, scheduled for a June 17, 2011 release.

The TV series is expected to launch as soon as fall, 2011.

Nice! You know, say what you want about Geoff Johns Skittles-inspired take on Green Lantern mythology, but all those different colored Lanterns would make for a great kids' cartoon -- I think boys would eat that shit up. I think it would be a smart move for WB/DC to use that as the basis for the cartoon, although I'm sure some of you disagree. There's also the incredibly small, highly unlikely chance that this will be a Dini/DCUC show -- hey, they haven't said it isn't yet, right? A nerd can dream.

Looks more like it's based on the First Flight movie than the current comics. I Can only hope they give their own origin tale, but I severely doubt they will.

Nevermind, guess that's just a still from the movie because there's nothing else to show.

Edited by Maldron

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I inadvertently caught this on CN the other night. I watched about 5 minutes of it. The Red Lanterns were terrorizing some planet Hal, Kilowag, and some other GL I don't know were "hiding out" on. The plot was snooze-ville, but the CGI was surprisingly not as horrible as those pics posted earlier led me to believe.

• 3 years later...

years later, and i'm finally giving this one a chance....

took me till about episode 5 to get particularly interested, and while not as harsh as Loggins was a while back, the art style here is still really off-putting when compared to the mostly hand-drawn look of say Justice League, or even the GL movies. still, i like where it's building with the Red Lanterns & skeleton crew, i'll follow up as i get further along...can't help but feel i'm gonna be super bummed when it ties up early.

edit DID THEY JUST KILL KILWOG WHAT THE HELL MAN

the art style here is still really off-putting when compared to the mostly hand-drawn look of say Justice League

To be fair, it took those guys a long time to be as polished as they were when they did Justice League Unlimited. A lot of that early Batman and Superman animated series art could be pretty simple.

you're not wrong, and yeah, i could see the jump even from Justice League to Unlimited...working my back through the older stuff soon and i imagine it'll only be more noticeable (i always figured the dark/noir look of classic batman TAS helped hide this though)

show related!

aww shit, here's St Walker

• 6 years later...

less than a week after the loss of neal adams (RIP), john stewart finally gets a solo flick!

In Green Lantern: Beware My Power, recently discharged Marine sniper John Stewart is at a crossroads in his life, one which is only complicated by receiving an extraterrestrial ring which grants him the powers of the Green Lantern of Earth. Unfortunately, the ring doesn't come with instructions - but it does come with baggage, like a horde of interplanetary killers bent on eliminating every Green Lantern in the universe. Now, with the aid of the light-hearted Green Arrow, Adam Strange and Hawkgirl, this reluctant soldier must journey into the heart of a galactic Rann/Thanagar war and somehow succeed where all other Green Lanterns have failed. The film's Supervising Producer is Butch Lukic.

Green Lantern: Beware My Power is available on 4K, Blu-ray & Digital starting July 26, 2022.

gl-john-2_orig.png