Hondo's Bar

Read a comic book in public, today!

Jumbie

Today is Read a Comic Book in Public Day.

http://www.comicbooked.com/read-a-comic-book-in-public-day/

The idea is to be seen and get the curious and the lapsed to take up a comic themselves.

Now, most of the people in this forum probably read comics in public all the time anyways, but make sure we're coordinated for today.

Report back to this thread and tell us what you read in public today. Take a picture if possible.

As for me, all I have available for single issues is some early Brubaker Captain America, but that's pretty good stuff. I've got some new trades that Nick Shipped me, mostly Star Wars and Predator stuff, so we'll see.

I'm pretty sure they do, especially since that's a good place to read some lowly comics in front of some elitist prose fans. Maybe convince the B&N manager to stock more comics.

Besides, Pancho, it's not "read a comic outdoors" day.

Here's me reading outside my family's cafe earlier today:

6o0qpz.jpg

Note the Batman cap.

Here's my brother, once upon a time board member Piggylover, who took over the comic reading when I had to leave for my work shift.

2cy2tuf.jpg

I also gave a Predator Volume 1 Paperback to the 14 year old bookloving kid who lives near me. He seemed psyched.

It doesn't look like you're making any progress in getting new readers. Apart from you and Aadil, those chicks and your family members don't seem too interested. HAHA! Nah, that's cool that you gave one of your trades to some kid. That's the way to do it! I remember a guy that worked out at my dad's gym doing that for me back in the day. Used to give me Judge Dread comics.

Oh, those guys aren't family. I said the cafe was my family's

Those are just some checker players.

Yeah, I didn't win over any new readers at that point, but I left the comics in the cafe and saw a few kids reading them through the day.

Also, Nick has about 100 or so kids comics he's holding for me for my library project, so next year I'll be very prepared for Read comic Day.

i wish my local cafe had guyanese deviants with comics and checkers

jax left my copy of Absolute Sandman in the living room, so i read a bit of it on the balcony. i believe this counts, though the setting lacked wine and a beret.

next year, ill be more prepared too cause ill have a laptop

I read about half of the first volume, which was more than enough for me to decide that this was not a book for my tastes. This was well before the movie & game's one-two combo on my frontal lobe though.

I don't need a calendar to represent my subculture, I read comics publicly every day

so many assumptions in this thread...i bet you he's got old issues of Micronauts and Liberality in there.

Hate on Hater, but while there are the requisite quarter bin filler (lots of Disney and "illustrated classics" type stuff in there) there's also a fair amount of Spidey, X-men,:wolvy:, various Ultimate issues, not to mention Kabuki, Uncle Sam ,and *ahem* a Wu-Tang comic.

And they're bagged and boarded. I teach through example.

Hmm..not sure there are any Bendis era DD I could put in the box. I can't have comics w/ cursing, nudity, or anything else that'd get me fired or reprimanded. Basically G & PG stuff. I briefly contemplated coloring out the curse words and more racy dialogue from some comics, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd rather give them the "purest" comic book experience I can then hopefully they'll go out and seek the other stuff on there own.

And the bit about having access to "Rio© Comics™" has me puzzled. You think Panch would let a bunch of grubby middle schoolers paw over his precious stash? What you smokin'? :wink:

Archived