Hondo's Bar

Redbox Rentals

Panch

580_busines_redbox_2592706.jpg

I know Netflix probably has the monopoly on Hondos, but I rent with Redbox (since I don't know where or when my next residence will be this is most convenient for me). If you've ever been to a Walgreens or chain grocery store than you've probably seen 'em. Most Redboxes I've seen only rent for a buck, but I have seen 'em for a buck 15 a rental (mostly in the rich neighborhoods). I'm convinced that along with Netflix, this has been the downfall of Blockbuster. It's too convenient. It also offers 5 dollar purchases for all its movies, which is awesome cause this includes new releases (just without the box). Who else has dabbled?

I haven't personally since I am a Netflix whore, but I know countless friends who swear by the redbox. If I didn't have a Netflix account I would most definitely use this as my next resource.

My only question is: what is the variety? I mean, if I am in the mood to watch John Cusack in Better Off Dead, will I find it?

It, in no means is as stocked as Netflix. It's limited, but they restock these things once a week (as far as I can tell). What I do if I want to watch a specific movie is I go to the website, type in the movie with my zip code and it tells me the closest store with the title. You can return them to any Redbox so when I'm done I return it right next door. Every fucking Walgreens in Miami has 'em so I usually find what I want (been wanting to rent the original Tron, but no dice, though).

From my experience that's pretty rare. One of the Redboxes I hit up is the one in the Walgreens next to FIU. Usually, its free, but sometimes at night its packed with college students. Renting can be a bitch then.

we have one at our local grocery store (which is weird, it showed up right after our 'local' rental place closed) and I used it once to get Logan a movie that wasn't on OnDemand and he didn't want to wait until it came through netflix. it is darn nifty for new releases and ours is stocked with kids movies which convenient for us.

(been wanting to rent the original Tron, but no dice, though).

Tron is currently out of print so the the discs are like some bizarre future currency at this point. Naturally I cradle mine lovnigly and laugh maniacaly like the baron from Dune every chance I get.

Yeah, they're always stocked with kids movies. AND they always seem to have the Marvel or DC exclusives (mostly DC), but honestly I don't go crazy with those. Don't know why. I should take advantage.

On the DC front, you should watch Batman Under The Red Hood and the Wonder Woman movie. You Can skip the GL movie and the Superman/Supergirl movie. They're not bad, but not great. I haven't seen the Superman/Shazam one yet. I'll let you know.

Under the Red Hood is my next rental. Thanks Jax.

I do want to emphasize this point though, because I wouldn't blame you for overlooking it, the Wonder Woman movie is badass. Far better than Wonder Woman has a right to be. I don't think you're going to get any closer to an army of Spartans fighting an army of Zombies than the animated WW movie.

The animated Wonder Woman does kick-ass, even if they did get Keri Russell to do the voice (not unlike getting the woman who plays Lisa Simpson to voice an animated version of Xena or Tulip O'Hare or something) but it brings back a lot of the good pre-80s stuff (Nathan Fillion as Steve Trevor) plus it's pretty fucking violent and has very Joss Whedonish sensibilities without actively hating the people who might enjoy it. It's what Wonder Woman should always be, really.

• 9 months later...

Archived