Hondo's Bar

Thundercats

Drifter

• 1 month later...

It's good to see that James Lipton's song made it into this variation, albeit all orchestral. This looks even better than the He-Man revival Cartoon Network did a few years back, of course it helps that ThunderCats was a pretty good show on its own merits.

See, I remembered it being good, but then I watched it as an adult. It did not age well.

Yes, but compare it to any of the other popular cartoons of the 80s: Transformers, GI Joe, Voltron, and especially He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Thundercats aged a hell of a lot better and at least took itself halfway seriously when Snarf shut his annoying goddamn mouth.

See, that's satire of the way rock bands behaved, turned on its head by being what cobra commander wanted.

And yeah, I watched the first episode of Voltron and couldn't stop laughing. In Golion, they return to earth to find that the entire population has been wiped out. In Voltron, they return to some remote planet, and remark how lucky it is the entire population has moved safely to their underground bunkers.

See, that's satire of the way rock bands behaved, turned on its head by being what cobra commander wanted.

I think you're looking way too deep into GI Joe, the show was outright retarded and even made Transformers' low-points look good by comparison.

Also, could someone please explain to me how the whole G-Force/Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets thing works? I watched G-Force when I was a kid, got told it was called Battle of the Planets when I was a teenager, and now there's Gatchaman. Was G-Force/Battle of the Planets another one of those things where they taped several Japanese shows together into a new one like Power Rangers and Voltron, or was it something else?

Here's how I heard it, if I recall correctly.

Gatchaman was the original series from the 70's, they did a butcher job on it and released it in english as Battle of the Planets, then they came along in the 80's and did a more "faithful" version of the same thing and called it G-Force, but it was still a hack job (just not quite as much as BotP).

Eagle Riders fits in somewhere in there, but I'm not sure where.

And you're remembering fondly a show where in the final episode, Snarfer uses a magic oar to turn a turtle into an island and a log into a swan boat. :p We all have blinders.

Oh no, I have no blinders, Thundercats was ultra lame, it was just considerably less lame than anything else going on at the time. Micronauts, She-Ra, He-Man, Voltron, Speed Racer, G-Force, Sonic the Hedgehog, Transformers, GI Joe, etc. Thundercats at least took itself halfway serious and never did anything like having the bad guys try to take over the world by building a series of burger joints with rockets for logos which they then intended to fill with ICBMs and use to take over the world. (Hello Cobra, if you have ICBMs then why the fuck are you even building the burger joints?) Mumm-Ra was pretty lame but standing next to fucktards like Cobra Commander and Skeletor he was fucking terrifying, though admittedly he was no Lord Zed.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is anyone watching this? It's three episodes deep (four if you count the premiere episode as two) so far and pretty damned good. It's similar in tone to Last Airbender in many ways. Although it's not nearly as high quality as Airbender, it has potential and really surpassed my expectations, which wasn't hard as I wasn't expecting much. I definitely recommend giving it a look.