sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-004.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-006.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-007.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-008.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-009.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-010.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-011.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-012.jpg

SEGA® America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd., today announced details of Sonic Generations™, the highly anticipated video game title in development to celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog’s 20th Anniversary. Delivering the definitive gaming experience for Sonic fans old and new, Sonic Generations™ sees Sonic the Hedgehog playable as both the much loved classic 1991 character, and the modern day video game hero he has become in this exciting new fast paced adventure. Sonic Generations™ will speed into stores for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system for Holiday 2011.

Set across three defining eras from 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog video game history, the instantly recognizable environments of Sonic Generations have been re-built in stunning HD and are now playable in both classic side scrolling 2D from 1991, as well as modern 3D style found in Sonic’s most recent adventures. Each incarnation of Sonic in Sonic Generations comes complete with his trademark special move, Spin Dash and Spin Attack for Classic Sonic, and the Homing Attack and Sonic Boost for Modern Sonic. An innovative new interactive menu system allows for complete immersion in Sonic’s universe with favorite characters and hidden treasures gradually being revealed throughout the game.

“Sonic Generations will certainly be a fitting celebration for Sonic’s 20th Anniversary,” commented David Corless, Global Brand Director for Sonic. “By having the classic 1991 Sonic that many fans know and love team up with his modern day incarnation, we are bringing back the nostalgia of the early days of Sonic and combining it with the innovation and stunning HD technology of the modern gaming era. Sonic Generations will bring to life the last twenty years of Sonic’s universe in a truly unique and imaginative way.”

Sonic’s universe is thrown into chaos when a mysterious new power creates ‘time holes’ which pull him and his friends back through time. As a result, he encounters some surprises from his past history including Classic Sonic, Sonic as he was in 1991. Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic must defeat this strange new enemy, save their friends, and find out who really is behind this diabolical deed...

and it's happening this holiday season (PS3/360). i cannot wait.

bring on your sonic cycle images, but seriously, tell me what looks wrong here, cause everything i'm seeing is right.

ps still havent played Soinc 4 ep 1 yet, baytors. waiting on a sale, but you should really play Sonic Colors if you get a chance, they finally nailed 3D sonic down into a great game.

So instead of making the next Sonic Adventure DX, or... Fuck, I don't know, Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode 2? They're making a game with two disparate playstyles with a single game's budget and praying it pleases everybody? Fat fucking chance.

No Knuckles = No Buy.

well, they're actually working on Sonic 4 ep 2 (already saw the retro cover), and it does say "friends". couple that with the cool promo art at sega's 20th anniversary site for Sonic having Knuckles on it, and i'm wagering he's in it as well.

again, i played Sonic Adventure the other day on the Dreamcast Collection disc...it's aged awfully. I hope 2 fares better without the hub world, but i fear going back to ruin my fun perception of it. anyway, bring more complaints!

since it's just us here for now, i will now posit that Sega has been one of the top 5 3rd party developers this gen, and that's even with Team Sonic in shambles and the legendary Yu Suzuki down at the bar.

Hurrrh, let's pretend you meant Publisher and count it out.

EA

Ubisoft

Activision

Sega

Capcom

FUCKING NOBODY ELSE.

Seriously, who else does third party other than these fuckers? It's a short list.

You know what? How about I give you the benefit of the doubt until we see stuff that comes after world 1-3. 1-1 to 1-3 is usually pretty baller, and then things get real.

Edited by Maldron

yeah, if they're saying holiday 2011, i'm definitely expecting a media blowout by E3. it's easy to get everyone on board with Green Hill Zone 5.0, i wanna see where we go from here too.

SINCE I WENT AND LOOKED IT UP ANTICIPATING YOUR REPLY ANYWAY:

Published:

House of the Dead Overkill

Sonic All-Stars Racing

Sonic Superstar Tennis

Virtua Tennis 2009

all the awesome stuff by Platinum Games (Bayonetta, Vanquish etc)

Developed:

Phantasy Star Online 2.0

OutRun Online

Yakuza 3

Kensan!

Yakuza 4 (GOTY by popular internet accounts)

Yakuza of the Dead

Valkyria Chronicles

Virtua Fighter 5

After Burner Climax

Virtua Tennis 3/4

Sonic Generations

Sonic Colors

Sega Rally Revo

shit like golden axe beast riders, new nights, iron man etc aside, id put that up there in the top 5. pains me to say this, but id put that up against Konami this gen, and normally they were a lock for my # 1.

your list lacks Capcom, possibly Square (TWEWY, plus they published some good titles like Nier).

*edit: here they are, they might be unrelated to the game itself though, who knows:

83faa31e2ff6085d60991b34cccbd0da.jpg

f211dc29b638fff96f504d28d5c76d5b.jpg

a2dc6e3fd68fe60895fe725265b4ef5c.jpg

based on the millions of sales, a shit-ton of kids dig him. it's humbling when you realize there's lots of younger players that are gonna look at our smaller, pudgier classic Sonic and think he's new-Sonic's kid.

that said: i dont wanna speak too much on this till i get more time with it, but what ive seen/played of Sonic Colors has been awesome. i dug Adventure 1 & 2 in the day (and even bits of Unleashed), but that might be the best 3D sonic yet, by far.

ps on topic!

ps still havent played Soinc 4 ep 1 yet, baytors. waiting on a sale, but you should really play Sonic Colors if you get a chance, they finally nailed 3D sonic down into a great game.

Well, I haven't played it either, but seeing as it hasn't exactly taken the world by storm (and lets be honest, in this day and age if a good Sonic came out, we would be aware) I'm pretty much gonna go ahead and declare an early victory. Make your subtitle something about dickwolves.

see, i dont know that that's true; Sonic Colors doesn't get talked about either, and it's good. still gotta play it first.

physics seem borked, which is heavily not in my favor. did we wager a member title change? balls.

• 1 month later...

in case anyone missed it: demo is up on hong kong and EU PSN, as well as XBL accounts (presumably gold?). it's the first stage, and clearly a bit early, but jump on it if you're gonna; i'm assuming it's tied to the 20th Anniversary thing currently going on, cause it expires in a few weeks (20 days from release).

haha...really? i didnt think so, but he does spin dash way too fast compared to his run. my concerns:

1) hoping they sharpen up the IQ/AA cause especially when moving, telling rings/springs/enemies etc apart was tricky sometimes.

2) sonic sometimes felt stuck to the ground.

3) at least once, id be rolling/gaining speed and come out of a loop or something and just sort've stop. really hope they nip that one; sonic 4 should've stressed the importance of the physics.

otherwise a fun demo, and given the amount of work they're doing with the community, im hoping they tie this up in the 4-5 months or so they have left. music was a nice remix too, wish i couldve played as modern sonic to see how that went.

• 1 month later...

looks so good. i can't wait for november.

FUCK YOU SEGA!

You really want your game to bomb that bad.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Nov 8

Saints Row: The Third Nov 15

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov 11

Uncharted 3 Nov 1

Sonic Generations Nov 1

damn, looking at that list...that's close to murderer's row of '04. im guessing they either really just want that holiday sale, or figure the same fans & kids who they always sell millions of copies to won't care. better for me, because that means it'll be closer to $30/40 by black friday, christmas at the latest.

ill have you know ive been buying again since gamefly is selling cheap!

it looks like you can play a level either way, im guessing at some point you're gonna have to do either both or switch up. again though if 3D sonic is done like he was in Colors, i'll be down for both. if he somehow ends up more tragically like say '06, 2D all day.

ps DS one looks good to me so far, too!

better vid:

double PS - your list is even worse than i thought it was. shit.

Silent Hill Downpour (and House of the Dead: Overkill Ex Cut) Oct 25

Uncharted 3 Nov 1

Sonic Generations Nov 1

MGS Collection Nov 8

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Nov 8

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nov 11

Saints Row: The Third Nov 15

Zelda: SS Nov 20

• 2 weeks later...