Hondo's Bar

Macross/Robotech

Visitant

I know we have a various Macross/Robotech threads floating around but as I just started Robotech: The Macross Saga on Netflix, I thought I'd have a general discussion thread here first.

Prior to starting Robotech my experience with the Macross universe was: Playing Battletech through Jr. High and and Highschool, the Mechwarrior series (don't you argue with me about this one, they got sued for a reason) Macross Plus (which still stands today as my favorite) bits and pieces of Macross 7, and all of Macross Frontier.

Having started Robotech last night, I'm surprised how much I am getting into it, even though I'm only a couple episodes in. I was worried that the older animation or bad dubbing was going to get in my way of enjoying it. I'm sure I'm missing out on something if I'm not watching it subbed but so far I am appreciating it for what it is: The history of the battle fortress and why the Zentradi war started in the first place.

Anyone else seen the earlier Macross series? I'm curious how the series holds up over time.

Macross Plus is really solid, worth your time if you like the universe.

Are you talking about the Robotech cartoon from the 80's? It's about as good as you'd expect from a long running kids show based on toys.

Also, +1 to Battletech.

Are you talking about the Robotech cartoon from the 80's? It's about as good as you'd expect from a long running kids show based on toys.

Also, +1 to Battletech.

Well Battletech aside, Macross Plus was my BIG intro the Macros universe, I've seen the OVAs, the movie etc. I used to obsessively listen to the soundtracks when I was younger as well. It still stands today as one of my favorite animes of all time.

Macross is one of the few show that tends to age well no matter what.

Watch Macross/Wiki the masters/watch New Generation.

If anybody wants to watch any of the other macross movies/shows we didn't get feel free to hit me up.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, +1 to Battletech.

Uh, Robotech wasn't based on toys. Those came afterwards.

I loved Roobotech, I own the full protoculture collection on DVD which is sweet. It's funny when I was younger I really thought Robotech did a better job with the macross source material than Macross did. Then I rewatched Macross one day and got it. Robotech was still amazing though, ah the 80s when voice acting on anime didn't suck balls.

But yeah, Robotech is what got me into anime, without it, I probably would have never found out about Akira and all that other fun stuff.

God I miss Carl Macek.

Uh, Robotech wasn't based on toys. Those came afterwards.

Mmkay, I got some wires slightly crossed. Revell made model kits in the early 80's called Robotech. No such show existed.

But they were based on The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. They apparently decided the name the toys used would work better for a western audience and called it Robotech when it was butchered and released here.

I can see how the confusion would arise, since technically there were Robotech toys many years before there was a show called Robotech.

But you're right. Today I Learned...

Even crazier DC had a comic called Robotech Defenders that was in no way based on the show whatsoever. The comic was cancelled. There was also an attempt to bring Macross itself direct to video before Robotech as well, there was even an issue 1 of a comic based on the adaptation.

Archived