Hondo's Bar

WatchmeX - The Legend Continues

Thelogan

WatchmeX

What is it, you ask?

WatchmeX - Watchmen Xtreme - is a comic book, made by DC in 80s and 90s.

WatchmeX is continuation of Watchmen, graphic novel and comic book made in 1987. WatchmeX were popular mainly in 90s, during Rob Liefeild run on the series.

The book lasted 5 volumes. Unfortunately, WatchmeX didn't survive comic book crash in 90's and ended with #40 (volume 5) in February 1999. However, it has achieved a cult status for its eXtreme storytelling.

WatchmeX begins immediately after the end of Watchmen and brings Watchmen characters back into main DC continuity.

It's daring. It's edgy. It's what the fans demanded. Something even JZA can enjoy.

I'm a particular fan of Volume 2: The Clone Saga

During Volume 2 of WatchmeX, a daring storyline was crafted that expanded on the possibility of duplication inherent in the Hall of Souls as well as Doctor Manhattan's extra-dimensional qualities. During this arc, a number of characters from the original Watchmen graphic novel were cloned, resulting in a host of new cast members - thus the informal title, The Clone Saga.

2jcapnt.jpg

Sarina Kovacs - A female Rorschach. Believed to have been introduced as a ploy to attract female readers to WatchmeX. However, the blue-and-purple design of her mask proved controversial with fans, and to casual readers the color scheme only compounded the rumors surrounding Rorschach's sexuality. Regardless, Sarina has a small cult following and is considered by many to be one of the more deep and interesting characters of WatchmeX.

10ni39c.jpg

Day Eagle - Created in an effort by Ozymandias to make a more "competent" version of Dan. Veidt went as far as making this iteration handsome, muscular, confident, and extremely virile. He became so self-absorbed that he ultimately challenged Veidt's authority, coining the now-popular nickname "Ugly-man-dias" in the process. Veidt defeated Day Eagle by forcing the clone to stare in a mirror, at which point he became paralyzed by the sight of his own beauty. He is assumed to have eventually died of starvation.

It was rumored that he would return for the Robot Invasion arc, but the idea was quickly axed by the editor, and the character hasn't been seen since.

bg5zqv.png

Radioschach- During the Clone Saga, the WatchmeX crew was struggling to make ends meet and had to resort to licensing and advertising. Radioshack was one of the only companies that agreed to sponsor WatchmeX, as the then-current CEO was a huge fan of the original graphic novel. Almost all of his dialogue was an advertisement for the company he was named after. Radioschach is a clone of Inkblot, and he eventually met his end at the hands of Ben himself. Even though he wasn't a particularly popular character, his death was one of the most surprisingly sad deaths in all of WatchmeX. His most famous quote "Not even in the face of price cuts. Never compromise." is rumored to be engraved in the desk of former Microsoft CEO Bill Gates.

The story of Inkblot is too much to get into right now. One would do better to experience it than to here me mangle it's beauty with my clumsy words.

I will be petitioning Mr. Leifeld to continue his beloved series. I can't stand not knowing what happens after Laurie gives birth to the Alien Squid Queen. I mean, the robot invasion was imminent! I've gotta see how that was gonna go down.

• 5 months later...

That's debatable. After The Comedian is resurrected with new energy projection powers and super strength, Veidt uses his memory wipe ray to make him forget that Laurie is his daughter. So Comedian proceeds to track her down and rape her.

It's later revealed (in arc 6, "The Trial of the Comedian") that the Silk Spectre he raped wasn't his daughter at all, so the incest charges were dropped. He DID, however, sire a child with Sally Jupiter, so we never found out at what point the clone and Laurie switched places. Some have speculated that the actual Laurie Juspeczyk later took on the role of Sarina Kovaks, in order to anonymously bring vengeance on the publishers of the Tijuana Bibles that besmirched her mother's name.

That's debatable. After The Comedian is resurrected with new energy projection powers and super strength, Veidt uses his memory wipe ray to make him forget that Laurie is his daughter. So Comedian proceeds to track her down and rape her.

It's later revealed (in arc 6, "The Trial of the Comedian") that the Silk Spectre he raped wasn't his daughter at all, so the incest charges were dropped. He DID, however, sire a child with Sally Jupiter, so we never found out at what point the clone and Laurie switched places. Some have speculated that the actual Laurie Juspeczyk later took on the role of Sarina Kovaks, in order to anonymously bring vengeance on the publishers of the Tijuana Bibles that besmirched her mother's name.

Well, when you lay it out like that, it all makes perfect sense.

Archived