Hondo's Bar

Miami chapter hits the gym/cardio 2012!

The NZA

i-6V5L6WC-XL.jpg

okay, so even though half the participants are barely on here, i'm gonna try this anway!

myself, Senshik, Losifer, and now Megz (possibly Rudy if he's down, not holding breath @ arch) all live in the same complex. We've an excellent gym/cardio room, as well as racquetball, tennis courts, and my favorite running path at 97th ave. there's parks nearby, a torn up construction site of a backyard (great for hiking!) and a jacuzzi and sauna in said complex.

Space Cowboy has been regularly joining for a 3+ mile run monday nights, and is trying to expand this week to a 2nd one. he's apparently toying with the idea of joining us at said gym, which would take $40 to add to someone's lease as a resident, then it's about $100 for a year membership, or 3/6 month options. they're open from about 7a-10p weekdays, closing at like 8 on weekends sadly. i know many others have their own/more conveient gyms, just throwing it out there if anyone was down since sen starts up again tormorrow and megz wants in.

so, current plan and options for anyone who's down!

• Gym: aforementioned deal; i've switched over to circuit training/a gymnist routine of all-body/accessory muscle workouts vs isolations (standard chest/tricep day, etc - of course anything using major muscle groups like squats, press etc are still present). I go 3x a week now, usually around 9pm when it's good and empty.
  • Bridge run: monday nights @ 10p, thurs/fri or whatever works for others @ 9p. Alternate for rainy days: 20 minutes of running/walking stairs; building is 7 stories but we could use arch's complex next time, i think that one's 18.
  • Boxing @ tropical park (kendall): i havent been down there in years, looking to start back up in the coming month or so. Last deal was: $40 for 1 year (until december anyway when its due again), and that gives access to gloves, jump rope and said gym with bags and other drill stuff. you need your own wraps but they're cheap anyway; its $10 more if you want to spar (you likely don't, heh), mouth piece obviously not provided.
    my regiment used to be: 1-2x week, 1.5/2 hours tops for 3+ rounds jump rope, run the bleachers (right next door), 5+ rounds of bagwork. excellent cardio & lots of fun, but no one's gonna be there to teach you anything given the # of people there and talent present sometimes - obviously if i go with you, im rusty but happy to go over form.
  • Crossfit: waiting on sen's foot to heal, im keeping an eye out for more groupon deals just in case anyone else wants to join for a 30 day bootcamp, also down by tropical park ($30, monthly fees past that are likely close to $100 though...)
  • P90X - i'm slowly trying to put together pieces for this challenge, possibly for the summer - i need weights, but ive got resistance bands and some cheap wal-mart pull-up bar for using on your door, in a way i have not yet mastered, heh. program's ready though, and Los says he's down for it. I think it's 5 days a week, 1+ hour, for 3 grueling months, but friends have shaped up and shed lots of weight from it as well.
  • Swimming - we've an olympic-ish sized pool? getting warmer too, and im going to try to incoporate it into some kind've routine on days im being lazy, if anyone else is down.
  • Cycling - also working on getting a bike for these goddamn achievements to spice it up. Sen is crazy and threatens to ride to work if she gets good at it, could be fun!

that's all i got in mind so far, aside from odd stuff like that weighted 5 mile hike challenge, again ive got a 30 day Parkour coupon for a place in doral that i don't think anyone else is interested...

here's the thing: my schedule is thankfully set (mon/tues off, all other days im usually up at like 5p or so most days, have to be showered/leaving for work around 10:30), but sen, megz, los and most others vary week to week (opening, closing, etc), so while everyone should ideally be doing what they can when they can, id like to establish some kind've loose schedule so anyone who can make it on certain days will call/text and see who else is/encourage more activity!

lemme know what you guys think - what you're down for, and when!

I'm w/ Logan's. I played Kinect Adventures for two hours w/ my nephew yesterday and my calves are killing me today. Now I'm all like, fuck this gym shit--Arkham City, here I come.

I wish I had Star and Nza's drive for physical fitness though. I've no one in my immediate vicinity to help motivate me. Good on ya for organizing those activities, Nick.

logans...do you think i work for the state out of patriotism?

star - props if you can read while running/cycling...its something i could never manage. audiobooks are cool though. im thinking ill call that crossfit joint on monday and see if they'll let me add another or see if they have any plans for another groupon, cause ours is good till like the summer or so.

and yeah, im hoping to have Space help me eyeball/measure said pool - if you take the longways, i think it's pretty thoroguh, it's just tricky later in the spring/summer (especially on weekends) when you gotta swim around kids, but that's part of the challenge! heh.

gonna check back on facebook to see if megz has replied there

hoping to hear back from Space (ya'll should know im up all night, cant be reached after like 8a or so until dusk, heh), last we spoke he overbooked and was hoping to slide the run in at 7:30p, which i said was fine as long as it worked for you guys. monday's the only day i double down running/gym because im off that night, but it really beats the crap out of me. i might be down for something since we're done early...id say swimming cause they're open till 10 but it's prolly cold - we can always hit the jacuzzi or sauna though!

ive got us on protein i think, running a bit low but im re-upping next week so we should be golden. i keep meaning to call Megz but she's working crazy hours.

Foot feeling better...can't fucking believe I did that. However, I intend to be back in full run mode by Friday. I'll make sure I bring your ice pack back, thanks again NZA!

P.S. Fucking Flash Gordon...your white boy ass be runnin like you stole somethin! I will keep up with you one day soon!

haha...man, i feel slow most times though. i spent too many years @ 130 lbs, so i know what it feels like to fly - only, i could do a 440 at best back then, 3 mile runs like this were damn near impossible, so i guess it's a trade off.

i got very little sleep this weekend before mad overtime, so the sole of my foot was actually hurting at one point, but it feels mostly healed up tonight, should be golden by tomorrow. plan on meeting Space @ 10, gonna see if Los is down too. glad you're healing as well though Star!

Loving Crossfit. Completed 3 days of basics and going again tomorrow.

Did my swim last night, and my shoulders are fucking killing me today! My legs have gotten much stronger, no cramping up this time. 2000 yards/40 laps in 46 minutes, when before it took me 50 minutes to do 36 laps (which is just a little bit over a mile).

I am going to wait until the bruises on the bottom of my right foot are totally gone. I figure it isn't worth it to push myself while it's still sore and then be screwed in the long run. So HOPEFULLY I can run with you and Space next Friday!

hopefully! we fell the fuck off this week - all gym and no cardio, prolly gonna box tomorrow or sunday to catch up.

i gotta talk to space about monday's late run, and again, we can do thurs or fri, whichever works for both of you.

• 3 weeks later...

So I did 2 miles and it felt ok. My feet are a little sore, but it has been a damn MONTH! My times were a little slower, but not by a lot. Crossfit is going great. The people at the box are really supportive and everyone pushes eachother. The coaches are awesome!

I am getting more confident in our strength WODs. I can shoulder press 60lbs and push press 75lbs (by my form wasn't so great). I had better form with 65 lbs. My biggest problem is that the weight still intimidates me and I don't trust my hips to push the weight up when I dip and drive. So I it turns out that I just muscle-up the weight instead. I have to stop hesitating. It's only been a month but it's getting better. Olympic lifting is actually kind of fun!

So NZA, I think next week I'll be up for another night run. Running in the dead of the afternoon FUCKING SUCKS! But I want to see if I can get a better time on the run over the bridge without hurting myself like an asshole.

There is also a Mud Run going on at the zoo, May 6th. Obstable course and total 5K. Anyone else down to try it??

whoah, that mud run sounds like fun - you got a link with details?

ran tonight with Space, we skipped last week and paid for it tonight. ill hit you up before we sort what days we're gonna go next week.

Another 3% drop in body fat. This time one of my coaches dis the calculation using a caliper because they are more accurate. I now fall in the 'average' category for women. I have to get under 25% to be considered fit and I am nearly there, so that is something to work toward! Gonna measure again in June before I go to see my brother in NC so I have about 2 months. Time to put in work!

man, i was looking at the mud race thing and it looks mad fun, but 5k or whatever...damn, that's serious. i'm trying but ive never been a long distance runner, heh.

congrats star! i think im back under 20% myself, i havent tested in forever. and yeah, any test other than the calipers one i assume is just a ballpark at best.

Archived