Hondo's Bar

Classic gaming ads & covers

The NZA

I have nothing to add, but memories. I remember the whole Unreal "hype" leading up to it being released and when it finally came out, I popped it in, installed it and booted it up. Got into the first level, left the ship and went out and went "Holy shit, this is UNREAL!" Graphic-wise. I remember being AMAZED at the graphics. Just like seeing the screenshots for the PC version of Halo before Bungie was bought out. I had them as my wallpaper for months because they just looked soooooo fucking good.

Yes, thank god for the internet. I have way too many issues of Tips & Tricks. The only reason I even bought gaming mags when I was a kid was on the off chance it would have a cheat code for a game I owned. It was the only fucking way to get 'em, and the knowledge made you the cool kid at recess.

Nick, remember when you, me, Ariel, Eddie and Mike printed out all the codes for the Mortal Kombat fatalities and sold 'em at the arcade when we were kids? I can't remember how much, but they were all fake. Man, the shit we did :)

I used a gameshark to catch a Mew in Pokemon Blue and made up some elaborate story about a how I found it and acted like I had no idea it wasn't supposed to be in the game. Then some guy paid me $20 to trade it to him.

A few days later, he put it in storage and it turned into a Ditto. He was really pissed.

Archived