Hondo's Bar

Frailty

Just thought I'd let everyone know me and a few people are going to go see "Frailty" tommorrow(friday,.the 12th).I guess at around 9:30 maybe at Palace 18.  All are welcome.  I'll be out all day tomorrow so if ya want in just call my cell at 305-305-5079.

If you haven't seen the ads for it, it's a psychological horror flick that's being praised by some huge names.  People like Stephen King, Sam Raimi, and James Cameron have been raving about it, I think King is trying hardest to sell it.  Not a typical slasher flick, it's supposed to be a thinking man's horror movie from what i've come to understand, good reviews too, I'll post about it after I see it.

damn. I just mentioned this flick in the Lady of Guadalupe thread up in Aristotle's Lyceum. Thought I was the only one who knew about it.

The NYTimes review seems very enthusiastic.

Whoever sees it, could you give it a mention in the Guadalupe thread if there's any relevance?

Hope the movie's as good as it seems.

Hmm, I liked the movie, but it was very differant from what I thought it would be.  It was hyped up to be this intelligent psychological horror movie that keeps you guessing about whethe rthe guy is crazy or not, and it sort of is, but it was fairly predictable at points, though extremely entertaining.  I wish the ending would have been more ambiguous too, but it was still well worth watching.  Not as great as I expected with all the Stephen King and Sam Raimi quotes, but then agian, it's the only good horror movie to come out for a damned long while, so you have to take into account taht these guys are starving for good ones.  Great acting and direction, lacking on the writing, but damned fine overall.  I definately reccomend it for something entertaining and disturbing.

• 6 months later...

Damn! Frailty is a creepy as hell movie for thoose who haven't seen it yet it is among my must see list.

Must see List:

Frailty

Death to Smoochy

Behind Enemy Lines

Enemy at the Gates

Scropian King

Kill for Making List:

Changing Lanes

BVarneys Big Adventure

The Cell

Frailty was indeed fuckin great. Saw it again a week or so ago and liked it even more than the first time I saw it. I'll second that reccomendation.

Oh, and I thought changeing lanes was pretty good, have a review on it somewhere here, sure do wish the search function worked.... (:D yahve).

Changing lanes wasn't bad, it was worth the viewing but like Kym put it, I'm glad i rented it and didn't pay full price to see it. It was in interesting movie, I liked following 2 people through a throughly shitty day and watching them act and deal with the ramifications.

But It shouldn't be on the "Kill for making" list, I would vote for The thin red line to take its place there.

Frailty thou was damn good. Loved the way it was told.

"Otis" was a nice touch too. :sly:

Yea I watched Frailty for the third time yesterday, and I watched it three times in one day. Is this a better list?

Must see List:

Frailty

Death to Smoochy

Behind Enemy Lines

Enemy at the Gates

All Star Wars

Depends on the Viewer List:

Scorpian King

Changing Lanes

All Star Trek

Kill for Making List:

Barneys Big Adventure

The Cell

Thin Red Line

Well for starters what was hyped to be a great war movie with tons of action and multiple big names ended up trying to be a damn artsy fartsy phycological movie with 10 minutes of fighting 30 seconds for 90% of the cameo crew and a bunch of screaming epeleptic monkeys playing the japanese they were fighting, oh and add blind to that description, they couldn't shoot for shit, the americans were having to pull dumb mistakes to get killed.

And the ending pissed me off, after sitting in a theater that long they ended it with some supposedly deep meaning full medatative junk that was really just completely meaningless and lacked any coherent thought.

Now I'm not saying I expect a single never ending fight scene with people exploding in the background anytime someon stops to speak, Nor am I expecting an oscar winning plot with drama beyond comparison.

What I DO expect is when a movie is hyped to be better than saving private ryan, and heavily empasizes th pacific theater combat that It Delivers as promised. There are an astounding number of stories they could have taken and made into a great WWII pacific theater film, instead they made a mockery of a film that was more of a chore to watch and try to understand the phsycological crap being thrown at you when it has no relevance to the advertized point of the movie.

Dan, if you get bored and can manage not to gouge your eyes out, Give this a viewing and Toss a review out here. I may be biased and only remembering the crappy parts, maybe a film major can explain what the hell the point was. I just couldn't belive that following the heels of saving private ryan and being hyped up to be so much better they put out such Crap.

True, Saving Private Ryan had some areas that could have used improvement, but all in all it was a good war movie and that was all it was made out to be... A movie centered on the Eurpean front of WWII with great combat scenes following some troops as they go on a mission in enemy territory.

I guess the main thing that puts me so off is just the way it was advertised, and that I rallied a few carloads of people to go watch it, and compared to what we were told to expect it was long, drawn out and severely below expectation. And the rest of the night was spent bitching about a collective waste of $8.50.

But nevertheless, Pearl Harbor came out later and renewed my faith that a pacific theater war movie Could be made decently, and then Enemy at the Gates came out finishing up the third front of the war with the soviets which i wasn't expecting. So 3 good recent movies covering all fronts of WWII, a happy man I am.

:D

Is this a better List?

Must see List:

Frailty

Death to Smoochy

Behind Enemy Lines

Enemy at the Gates

All Star Wars

Peral Harbor

Lord of the Ring Fellowship of the Ring

Harry Potter

Depends on the Viewer List:

Scorpian King

Changing Lanes

All Star Trek

Thin Red Line

Kill for Making List:

Barneys Big Adventure

The Cell

Hmm, I guess Thin Red Line merits another watching cause it couldnt have been that fuckin bad. When I saw it I was sorta younger and just wanted to see shit die so I didnt like it. If I get the chance to see it again I will. I do know that Thin Red Line took a lot of shit for coming out at the same time as Ryan and being very different. Oh, and fuck that shit, I thought saving private Ryan was brilliant, speilberg critics be damned... a movie about thousands of men dying can afford to be a bit emotional.

Heh, jus' to be a prick I'll add:

- I've not seen Pearl Harbour and don't intend to anytime soon.

- The Cell was a crap plot, shit acting, and lame script backed up by bloody nice visual ideas that are worth a watch. I loved the bit where she walks in the room with walls lined with silk and the fucked-up egomaniac on a throne. He stands, and walks down a massive set of steps, and his cloak is so huge - it was that around the wall, and it billows out behind him impressively.

• 2 years later...

Finally got around to seeing this one on Junker's say-so....good, creepy, not what i had in mind, but definitely worth seein. For a fairly simple plot, i did get lost here & there (mebbe wasnt payin attention), but it was intense during its moments.