Hondo's Bar

How do I manage my time

Boogie

Time is a bitch  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok guys, for a long time now I have been wondering about this. I don't know if it just me, but the hours in my day don't seem enough. And what I'm talking about is: how do you guys manage your time? I don't have nearly enough time to play all the games that I bought on Steam, all the comics that I buy weekly, and the movies that I buy/download. And always come to me as a choice. Should I do this or that? Of course, my kids and wife take precedence and most of the time in the afternoon I spend it with them. But Im interested, still, to know how you guys read/play games/ watch all the stuff that you acquire. And seeing the Hondo's Pick up post, I can see that the amount is no small potatoes.

And yes, usually I sacrifice my sleeping time for gaming. Also, is the only time when I can really focus and be alone.

So that.

BTW, feel free to move this if someone thinks it involves all of the Hondonians and not only people who read comics and play games.

Edited by Boogie

I hear you.

I'm spectacularly shit at keeping focused. I'm always late for everything because I just kind of drift into a dream world with a voice in the back of my head screaming "Don't just stand there you retard! GO!". If I could eliminate the daydreaming at critical moments I could probably take over the world or something.

It is alarmingly rare that I ever actually sit and watch something with my undivided attention. I'm usually playing a game or fucking off here at the same time.

I buy my monthly comics digitally, so I tend to read them on my phone while at work. I do most of my physical book reading while I poo or in bed. I take very long poos.

I write very late at night, if I don't have to get up early (and sometimes even if I do). I retire from the internet, turn everything off and try to get something done.

Not enough hours in the day. Right now, depends on how work goes. Some days, I'm out early enough to get house work done and watch some stuff I have on the DVR (That Aarty doesn't like to watch. Scary stuff. American Horror Story, etc.) Once in a GREAT while, we get out and do something awesome. Warner Fall Foliage Festival, then climbed Mt Kearsarge. Aarty conquored her first mountain. Or Thanksgiving vacation to NW Vermont and Montreal. But for the most part, I work my butt off. Hopefully I'll be upgrading my career soon.

I'm mainly in to movies, and I'm still waaaay behind on my queue. All these great TV shows are cutting in to my film time. I usually sacrifice sleep to cram in the viewing, reading, and Net surfing. I'm not much of a gamer at all, but my gaming goals are to finish Arkham Asylum and Arkham City before I die.

why is this in comics doe

i have legendary backlogs.

it occurred to me, during my early 2000's bankruptcy years, where i downloaded shit like the internet was going away...that if i fell into a 10 year purgatory, there were books/comics/games/movies/albums/etc i woulnd't get around to. it was depressing for a while, then i thought on all the bullshit i spent time on in the 90's (mostly forgettable comics) and decided to be more picky.

now, i tend to favor stuff that friends with similar tastes push, but even then it goes in a backlog. i arrange by medium, then genre, then hopefully get around to it before perishing - but i don't force it. if i'm not in the mood, if i give it a valid go & it's not taking, i quit. i don't make a meta-game of finishing things i find a chore anymore as well.

since gaming is a high priority for me, i keep a solid backlog, and mostly use it to remind me i don't need to buy things all the time, even when i can afford them. after a few years of sitting in said backlog, i push to try them or admit i'm not going to & drop them entirely. again, the goal of any source of entertainment is an enjoyable experience, so if i sense that's not in store, it's gone.

the largest takeaway i had from a forced minimalism when i was broke/lost my shit was this: i don't keep things i don't either want to replay or loan out. no more collecting for collecting's sake! it's a void, a sickness that never ends, if you let it become such. perfect example for me: i had Wolverine, vol 1, # 1-150+ and even when i knew it was a shit arc (most were), i had to keep buying for fear of missing one. fuck that! i don't have to buy, or keep, any of that shit. i don't even have to download it for free & use my more valuable time on it! there's still easily 10+ GB of comics alone i told myself i wanted to read before exiting, why waste time on completism?

This is in comics, because i figured that we the obsesive buying people comic fans, would have a hard time chosing what to do with our time. But, by all means, move it somewhere else. I know of people who dont read comics that had a shitload ton of series to watch that they downloaded...

back on topic: I see that most people do the same shit as I. Sacrifice sleep hours to finish that game and so. Also, a valid point, like Crim mentioned is getting into something that everyone was raving about like 2 years later.

I have a weird obsession of having +1000 mangas right now. Its stupid, I know. Specially when I know that I dont have to prove anything to nobody, and even more stupid when I know that in time I'll get to have that amount of comics and much more. But that's how I feel right now.

The worst part is when we travel to Argentina and get to buy all the manga that are editing there (I already decided to stop most of the collections from there, since its cheaper, faster and better to get them in english) and I tendo to catch up with mangas that I honestly dont remember where the story was (But when following that many series I guess its normal). Now I decided to stop most collections that I just buy for the sake of buying. But when following that many series I guess its normal.

Reading mangas is top priority for me. Everything else get to wait if I have to choose. That's why games and movies are pilling up. Also, Im old school so I never got really used to read manga online and scanlations most of the time suck anyway...

Like Haku my priority is movies. I can't abide missing out on a good movie. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc can all wait until I go to prison or something. I study and work a 9-5. There's just not enough time to do everything. I also play certain games in very obsessive spurts. After my exams ill most likely binge on New Vegas because that's my top priority games wise and its just fun. If a game doesnt give me enjoyment and make me want to keep playing once it gets hard i just abandon it. Im notoriously picky with games. I also have a stack of books (the non pictorial kind) I want to read.

why is this in comics doe

i have legendary backlogs.

it occurred to me, during my early 2000's bankruptcy years, where i downloaded shit like the internet was going away...that if i fell into a 10 year purgatory, there were books/comics/games/movies/albums/etc i woulnd't get around to. it was depressing for a while, then i thought on all the bullshit i spent time on in the 90's (mostly forgettable comics) and decided to be more picky.

now, i tend to favor stuff that friends with similar tastes push, but even then it goes in a backlog. i arrange by medium, then genre, then hopefully get around to it before perishing - but i don't force it. if i'm not in the mood, if i give it a valid go & it's not taking, i quit. i don't make a meta-game of finishing things i find a chore anymore as well.

since gaming is a high priority for me, i keep a solid backlog, and mostly use it to remind me i don't need to buy things all the time, even when i can afford them. after a few years of sitting in said backlog, i push to try them or admit i'm not going to & drop them entirely. again, the goal of any source of entertainment is an enjoyable experience, so if i sense that's not in store, it's gone.

the largest takeaway i had from a forced minimalism when i was broke/lost my shit was this: i don't keep things i don't either want to replay or loan out. no more collecting for collecting's sake! it's a void, a sickness that never ends, if you let it become such. perfect example for me: i had Wolverine, vol 1, # 1-150+ and even when i knew it was a shit arc (most were), i had to keep buying for fear of missing one. fuck that! i don't have to buy, or keep, any of that shit. i don't even have to download it for free & use my more valuable time on it! there's still easily 10+ GB of comics alone i told myself i wanted to read before exiting, why waste time on completism?

I've come to the same realization about my own tendencies for "completeism" several times over the years, but I somehow always sink back in to it in one way or another. DL'n comics on the web especially has led to just a stupid amount of GBs of comics taking up space that I'll likely never read. Just last week was one such realization. I was searching online for an issue of the NDCU Hawkman I somehow missed from one of the torrents when I realized, I was searching for an issue of the NDCU Hawkman. WTF? I somehow got in the mode of just DL'n ALL NDCU stuff b/c maybe I'd get around to reading it one day. Feh. I'm done.

For now.