Hondo's Bar

Read more MANGA!

Boogie

Ok, many times we talked about it and I understand why you guys dont usually read manga. Some dont like the style, some dont have time, and some dont have the money to buy/follow all the shit that is published these days. But since we already agreed that a comic is a comic (it doesnt matter its origin) and there are many styles outside the conventional cliché stuff, I'm going to make a final effort to make you read more manga. I invite Newtype to join this thread and recommend some titles to you as well.

The point of this, as I said already, is to get your curiosity arised to the point that you can pick up a volume, read it and say: damn, boogie was right. This is entertaining and interesting. And I guess it would be a major sucess if I get Alive She Cried and JZA to read some manga (what! let a man have a dream. Even if its improbable).

Ok, for starters Im going to be redommending mostly Seinen (wich is manga for adults. Think Vertigo for Manga), because thats what I've been buying -mostly- in the last 5 years.

The first title wich im going to recommend here is:

Dorohedoro.

1421533634.jpg

Viz Media, 8 volumes as 1/2013, Print edition: $12.99/Digital edition: $5.99.

In a city so dismal it's known only as "the Hole," a clan of Sorcerers have been plucking people off the streets to use as guinea pigs for atrocious "experiments" in the black arts. In a dark alley, Nikaido found Caiman, a man with a reptile head and a bad case of amnesia. To undo the spell, they're hunting and killing the Sorcerers in the Hole, hoping that eventually they'll kill the right one. But when En, the head Sorcerer, gets word of a lizard-man slaughtering his people, he sends a crew of "cleaners" into the Hole, igniting a war between two worlds.

HERE you can read the first chapter for free. [For those worried about reading in the wrong way, I tell you: You get used to it really fast.]

This is one of my favourites right now. The story and the art really complement each other and each book that I read leaves me wanting for more. I really want to know who Caiman really is and see how Nikkaido is gonna react when she finds out (the future is looking more and more grimly with each clue that is given). Anyways, suspense, a mature story, brutal art and a little bit of nudity makes Dorohedoro my first recommendation to you guys.

Ps: It would be nice is this thread is pinned. Thanks.

manga i have in the top queue, besides catching up on what little has happened in Berserk (Blade of the Immortal stopped showing up years ago sadly)

MPD - Psycho

Samurai Executioner

Deepak Chopra's Buddha - A Story of Enlightenment

Junji Ito stuff

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service

you recommend any of that? bish was telling me to catch back up on Black Lagoon but now its apparently on hold again

Oh Baytor...

Nick I can really endorse Junji itto stuff. That mans drawing and plots are top notch. And what is great is that his mangas arent long. Gyo has 2 books only and Uzumaki has 3. Both are great terror mangas, but if I have to decide between them I'll say Uzumaki. Is really, really good.

MPD Psycho is fucked up but really interesting. Its a shame that Dark Horse stopped releasing it when is so close to the end (same situation as Eden - Its a wonderfull World!).

I only have the first book of Kurosagi CDS, so I cant tell you a really concise and helpful review.

I found a torrent that had all of Junji Itto's stuff in it. Lots of one off's but still great stuff, would also endorse him. I also am really into the stuff of Tsutomu Nihei, the guy who did BLAME! and more recently Abara and Biomega. Also found a version of The Monkey King by Katsuya Terada, which is kind of abstract in telling the story, but it is definately adults only. Very cool artwork though.

Also have MPD Psycho 1-4. Very fucked up stuff, but I enjoyed it. But keep recommending titles, gets tiring downloading random manga that sound or look good and getting a vol or 2 into them and they turn out crap.

Maybe now that Dar kHorse is releasing a Omnibus edition of Lone Wolf & Cub I'll finally going to get into it.

My recommendation for this week is: Real by Takehiko Inoue (And only by telling you who is the mangaka you should start buying it immediately). 11 books to date, $12.99, Viz Media.

mli7px.jpg

A motorcycle accident, bone cancer, a speeding truck crashing into a boy on a stolen bicycle--tragic life-changing events turn the worlds of three young men upside down. These three very different personalities have only one thing in common--their passion for basketball.

The art, like always, is awesome.

And here, we have an Inoue that once again uses the basketball he loves so much to connect the lifes of diferent people and shows us the struggle they undergo after diferent traumas affect their lives. This manga really focuses on that in such a realistic way that it pains me to read the stories of the main characters. Real is in the same level as Vagabond when it comes to despicting feelings and the reactions of their characters.

Super recommended.

Everything about "Real" sounded great until I read the word "basketball." Really? I have nothing against basketball, but I am not really a fan, so how much does the manga focus on it? Is that their 'therapy' so to speak?

As for Lone Wolf and Cub, I love that manga. I also like Koike's 'Samurai Executioner', 'Path of the Assassin', and especially 'Lady Snowblood'. It is good to know they are doing Omnibus versions of LW&C. I can never find the begining books to any of his series, though I do like the smaller book style for the mangas.

Also for people who are looking for just random good manga here is a list of some good stuff I have come across...trying not to give away spoilers in descriptions.

Akira - Much better than the anime, imo.

Appleseed, Ghost in the Shell, Dominion One, just about anything by Masamune Shirow. Most of his stuff is about technology and androids and themes about man and machine and crossing those lines.

Battle Angel Alita (Gunnm) - An android is recovered and goes on a journey to find out about her past and become the greatest fighter ever!

Bastard!!

Battle Royale - Kids killing Kids on an island. Very graphic and some pretty damn sad stuff goes on.

Beezlebeb - Delinquent's fighting and trying to pawn off the son of satan who is a baby. (Also in anime form, very good)

Berserk - Best manga ever. The EPIC love story of what one man will go through to protect the woman he loves. That makes it sound gay...so yeah it has a LOT of blood and nudity and fuckedupedness. And Griffith is the biggest cunt in the whole of literature.

Blade of the Immortal - read it a while ago, don't remember much of what is about, but I liked it...

Dragon Quest - The Adventure of Dai - I haven't read this yet, but it has 22 vols so hopefully it'll be good.

Gantz - Another of my favorites, up there with Berserk. About a kid who dies and joins a group of other recently deceased and they all go out on alien hunts to try and get resurrected. Also very bloody and some nudity.

Hunter X Hunter - I have only seen the anime of this so far, but usually the manga is better and if so that would be good, because the anime is great. About a little kid who is trying to become a hunter like his father.

Inuyasha - I like the manga better than the anime, but either way, about a girl who falls through a well into an alternate history of japan where she meets a half-demon and they go off and have adventures and kill stuff.

Legend of Basara - A suprise hit, about a girl who assumes the identity of her brother. Takes place in the past.

there is more, but I have to go so I will continue later...

While I haven't read Real, from experience I can say that I've enjoyed Manga that deals with subject matter that I don't give a shit about in western media, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Hikaru no Go and Prince of Tennis come immediately to mind.

On paper, there's no logical reason I should have read as much of that as I did.

Well, lets see:

Bastard!! Complete Edition (ongoing) - Check ✔

mcdytf.jpg

Gunnm - Battle Angel Alita - Check ✔

fuxbol.jpg

Gunnm Last Order #1-16 - Check ✔

14wx0s7.jpg

Gunnm Gaiden & Gunnm #10 (in Japanese) - Check ✔

5nt7cp.jpg

Gantz #1-23 (Im waiting untill it reaches #30 to buy them all at once and read them) - Check ✔

2ziv70x.jpg

Masamune Shirow stuff (I need to get the first 2 volumes of appleseed) - Check ✔

33fevqu.jpg

Vagabond #1-11 (Wich are # 1-33) - Check ✔

a1s2rt.jpg

Battle Royale #1-15 - Check ✔

4qg1ti.jpg

Berserk #1-36 - DobleCheck ✔

1fbi2t.jpg

263k2ud.jpg

2l9m543.jpg

The thing that im trying to do with this thread is to not overflow it with recommendations so people take their time to think what they might want to read, soooo im taking my time recommending titles. Like once a week or so...

Ahh ok gotcha, didn't realize that was your intent, so I will try to follow. But I gotta say very nice collection. I am getting there, but not nearly as close as you seem to be. As for Gantz, have you not read any of it? And is it supposed to stop at vol 30? Or any specific reason for waiting until then? I ask only because it is one of those standout great manga's. Like Berserk, or GiTS, or Gunnm it is just one of those instant classics. Now if it stops at 30, I can completely understand cause I have only gotten up to vol 23 and at the time I was very upset there wasn't more to read.

And after doing some research on Bastard!! Complete Edition, I need to pick me up one of those. Apparently up to vol 3 on those now.

No problem man, most of those you citated are instant classics. A couple of ones I didnt read, like legend of Basara (I heard good things about it) and Hunter X Hunter (wich someday I will start to buy. Everyone keeps recommending it to me).

Bastard!! complete Edition is in spanish, so if you can read it, go for it. But I tell you, the edition is really something. Colour pages, metalic ink and such...

No, Gantz doesnt end in volume 30, Its just a random number for me to buy the ones im missing and read the end of this stage (blue stage??). Yeah I really like Gantz. The first time that I saw the anime I was: Ok, this is interesting. Then I hated how whisy whasy was kurono, but then I tried with the manga and fell in love. Its, for me, one of those great seinen mangas that you have to read at least once.

About the ending, Hiroya Oku said that the ending is close, but the manga has reached volume # 35 in Japan (maybe one or two volumes more??)

Ooooh this is nothing. I have 800+ mangas and I want MOARRR :D