Hondo's Bar

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure 3

azOnrog.jpg

its happening

Fans of the Bill & Ted most excellent franchise were delighted to hear that, not only was a third film actively in development, but that Galaxy Quest director Dean Parisot had been tapped to direct last August.

"We have a nice story. We'll see if anyone else wants to make it," Reeves told GQ in an interview at the time. "One of the plot points is that these two people have been crushed by the responsibility of having to write the greatest song ever written and to change the world. And they haven't done it. So everybody is kind of like: 'Where is the song?' The guys have just drifted off into esoterica and lost their rock. And we go on this expedition, go into the future to find out if we wrote the song, and one future 'us; refuses to tell us, and another future 'us' blames us for their lives because we didn't write the song, so they're living this terrible life. In one version we're in jail; in another we're at some kind of highway motel and they hate us."

bill-and-ted-three-keanu-reeves

It's been virtual radio silence on the project in the ensuing year, though Bill S. Preston, Esq. himself, Alex Winter, did say that the film was in the "natural process of development" on the Nerdist podcast this March.

Reeves was on hand at today's TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour to promote his new documentary Side by Side, set to premiere on PBS later in the month (stay tuned for more on that).

While there, he did address the current state of the planned Bill & Ted sequel. "There have been a couple of drafts [of a Bill & Ted 3 script] and right now we're waiting on the writers to come up with another draft," Reeves said. "But we're all very excited."

The actor also told press that it was important to the team that they find a way to honor iconic comedian George Carlin's character in the film. Carlin, who passed away in 2008, played Rufus, the world-saving musicians' time-traveling History tutor in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and returned for the follow-up Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

We will keep you updated as details on Bill & Ted 3 emerge.

Ldlh2EM.gif

1GVXz5X.gif

• 1 year later...

That's kinda why it didn't need a sequel though. Reflecting over the years, Bogus Journey was probably one of the most out there and original sequels to any movie I've ever seen. How could they possibly do something so incredible twice, decades later, with actors who just aren't going to be able to pull off the surfer dude vibe they so effortlessly did years ago?

Edited by Iambaytor

I totally agree, the franchise doesn't need a sequel. I just think the world needs Bill and Ted now more than ever.

Alot of people remember them as a couple of stoner delinquents. Precursors to Beavis and Butt-head.

They were actually extremely ambitious, positive and optimistic. Bogus Journey is an underrated cinematic gem.

I think it's message was lost on alot of people.

They are admirable characters. I think the world needs a solid dose of optimism and positivity - what better guise than an inspired comedic blockbuster? That premise sounds awesome - a journey to fulfill destiny and save the world through music? STATION!

That's kinda why it didn't need a sequel though. Reflecting over the years, Bogus Journey was probably one of the most out there and original sequels to any movie I've ever seen. How could they possibly do something so incredible twice, decades later, with actors who just aren't going to be able to pull off the surfer dude vibe they so effortlessly did years ago?

I'd guess if some producer wanted to fork over money it'd be more likely a reboot than a straight sequel at this point. But I found Reeves mention it during his John Wick press tour in 2014.

Baytor also makes a really good point about Bogus Journey. Godfather didn't need a third film, so maybe B&T don't either?

• 9 months later...

My Spidey-Sense tells me this thing is inevitably happening.

I hope it ain't a straight-to-Netflix venture. I hope this thing is epic, gets tons of press and surprises everybody. I trust that everyone on board making this happen, actually gives a shit.

They brought up that point that Bogus Journey ends in global/galactic harmony -

In a series that has time-travel as the primary plot-device - I can think of a few possibilities to warrant a sequel. One could argue that the first flick also ended in global/galactic harmony.

It's a silly, off-the-wall, absurd comedy - unique in that it has something to say...'be excellent to each other'. Why not another adventure? I think another crazy-ass, wtf adventure would perfectly suit the series: Bill n' Ted in their 50s...I am obviously so on board.

26480.jpg

• 4 months later...

Seriously.

This set is getting a bunch of brand-new content!

Bonus Features

• NEW Audio Commentary for Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure with Star Alex Winter and Producer Scott Kroopf
    • NEW Audio Commentary for Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure with Writers Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon
    • NEW Audio Commentary for Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey with Star Alex Winter and Producer Scott Kroopf
    • NEW Audio Commentary for Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey with Writers Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon
    • NEW Time Flies When You Are Having Fun! - A Brand-New Extensive Documentary Looking Back at a Most “Excellent Adventure," featuring Stars Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, and several other members of the cast and crew
    • NEW Bill & Ted Go To Hell – A Brand-New Extensive Documentary Revisiting a “Bogus Journey,” featuring Stars Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, and several other members of the cast and crew

It looks like it's also gonna include all the bonus stuff from that bonus disc that came w/ the Excellent Collection / Phone Booth on DVD - minus the 'select' episode from the cartoon show.

• Also...
    • The Most Triumphant Making-Of
    • The Original Bill & Ted: In Conversation with Chris & Ed
    • The Hysterical Personages of Bill & Ted
    • Score! An Interview with Guitarist Steve Vai
    • Air Guitar Tutorial With Bjorn Turoque & The Rockness Monster
    • Vintage EPK
    • The Linguistic Stylings of Bill and Ted
    • Theatrical Trailers

1304303_o.gif

That big-ass phone booth edition w/ the Rufus doll also comes w/ dat Wyld Stallyns guitar pick, some stickers and a pretty big poster of the cover art of the set (which looks pretty-damn awesome)...Only $79.99!

billted2_02.jpg

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 1 year later...

Bill & Ted 3 is very close to happening, reaching a deal with financiers

“I think it’s kind of like A Christmas Carol with Bill and Ted,” teases Solomon. “Looking at their lives, and really kind of rediscovering what they’re about.”

And here’s some nigh-bodacious news: To hear the creative team talk, we’ve never been closer to the third Bill & Ted. “We are hoping to close a deal with some financiers,” says Solomon. “Hopefully within the next month or so, we’ll have news that will stick.”

“We went out and found a director,” says Winter. “Dean Parisot, who we love, did Galaxy Quest, which is a masterpiece.”

“Steven Soderbergh is one of the producers on it,” says Solomon. “Along with Scott Kroopf, the original producer [of Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey]. Bill Sadler is back, returning as death, and a few delicious cameos by people to be named another time.”

LdmQvOe.jpg?1

I have no idea how this would work. At the end of the second movie they've pretty much become living demigods; their music supposedly solving all social and environmental ills and allowing meaningful communications with all forms of life on earth. Not to mention they have solved several of creation's most important metaphysical questions because their band includes actual space aliens and death itself... and to top it off Rufus is dead. Sigh, I hope it's fun at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck. YES.

bill-ted.jpg

On 3/30/2018 at 9:52 PM, Drifter said:

I have no idea how this would work. At the end of the second movie they've pretty much become living demigods; their music supposedly solving all social and environmental ills and allowing meaningful communications with all forms of life on earth. Not to mention they have solved several of creation's most important metaphysical questions because their band includes actual space aliens and death itself... and to top it off Rufus is dead. Sigh, I hope it's fun at least.

On 5/5/2016 at 4:22 AM, Little Nemo McFly said:

They brought up that point that Bogus Journey ends in global/galactic harmony -

In a series that has time-travel as the primary plot-device - I can think of a few possibilities to warrant a sequel. One could argue that the first flick also ended in global/galactic harmony.

I think the 'absurdity of it all' works in this universe's favor.  If handled by people who understand / appreciate the IP - it could be...

waynes-world_Excellent.jpg

This has got such a 'hell yes' from me.

Heh, didn't see that from earlier, You and me Nemo, same wavelength... but I'd like to point out that the first film didn't end with galactic harmony, it ended with the promise of it; "they do get better, really," and the second film picked up from that. The ending of the second film, space aliens and the personification of death were on stage and the band's performance went out to a global audience, and that was before the closing credits giving news clips of the bands future endeavors... Time travel could service the plot, but if they're using the same actors playing older versions of the same characters then at that point they should have their shit together/demigods. Perhaps they would have to go back and save their younger selves or protect the past, but they'd still be fully realized saviors bounding into action and not the clueless slackers with god-like potential bumbling towards their destiny. I hope it's at least fun.

Edited by Drifter

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, Drifter said:

I hope it's at least fun.

Yeah, I could see the writers n' actors (Winters n' Reeves) all sitting in a room and pitching insane ideas on how to 'muck up' the perfect ending (Bogus Journey's ending)...rolling on the floor laughing then abruptly, "No.  We can't do that."

I think the only constant through out the years, as far as a sequel - was: they're old and the perfect song that 'fixes' all the world's ills...hasn't been written yet...and it should have been.  So many ways it can go from there.

I hope it's a fun ride w/ awesome tunes, fx n' laughs.

DZ8_RGxX4AE8fTA.jpg

• 1 year later...