Hondo's Bar

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 coming June 3rd 2016.

On the strength of the $65M-plus domestic opening of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Paramount announced this AM that a sequel is underway with Michael Bay steering the production once again. The project from Nickelodeon Movies will bow on June 3, 2016. Bay will produce alongside his Platinum Dunes partners Andrew Form and Brad Fuller, with Galen Walker and Scott Mednick. Screenwriters Josh Appelbaum & André Nemec (Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocal) are again coming aboard to write the sequel and will also receive an exec producing credit. It’s not clear if Jonathan Liebsman will again direct. Kudos to Paramount’s marketing team led by Josh Greenstein — talk about negotiating from a place of strength.

Laura Linney is joining the TMNT 2 cast.

EDIT: Also on set pics of Arnell as Casey Jones, Tyler Perry as Baxter Stockman and Megan Fox in a blond wig.

CD6sYsfWoAEsLe5.jpg

TMNT2-2.png

CDvBLHGUEAE4nlx.jpg

GmPtzq6.jpg

rw27qrn.jpgCxTAQMY.jpglfANUGG.jpg

v7TXyxE.jpg

Shredder, Karai and new foot soldier

tee-wu-on-set-of-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-01.jpg

tee-wu-on-set-of-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-02.jpg

brian-tee-on-set-of-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-02.jpg

jane-wu-on-set-of-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-01.jpg

scenes-from-the-set-of-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-03.jpg

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/movie/teen.../premiere.html

CGuwbA7XIAA7x14.jpg

CGuwa7nWcAAV0bG.jpg

CGuwbFGWoAA-X0r.jpg

CGuwbFAXAAAI8Ak.jpg

CGuwsD7XAAAfmeU.jpg

CGuwsOgWgAA7w1J.jpg

CGuwsVhWgAAJVAn.jpg

CGuwsW6WcAAEKOl.jpg

cd4QOKG.png

and finally, Stephen Amell's facebook post:

Facebook. It happened. I played Casey Jones. The movie is going to come out in theaters - JUNE 3rd, 2016!!! - and everything. What a surreal experience. Went from an all nighter in Vancouver to finish up Arrow straight to New York via Calgary and the adventure began. I'd like to thank some people: Drew and Brad at Platinum Dunes showed a lot of faith in a guy who'd never done a studio feature film. Liz at Paramount followed through on a great meeting over a year ago and we got to work together. All the cast: Laura, Megan, Will, Stephen, Gary, Brian and of course, The Turtles: Noel, Pete, Jeremy and Alan. You guys had me at ease on Day 1. Thanks for being so welcoming. To Dave, Dave again, Pablo and Alex... that's a great directing quartet right there. And of course Dennis: You are one of a kind. Matt helming the A Camera, you are a tour de force my friend. And Lula... you just make shit look cool. To Eve & Gary, I'd simply be wretched without you. And to Pete, Chris, Randy and Tim, thanks for knocking with just the right amount of authority. Lastly, thank you to Spiro & Jim for what was - undoubtedly - the greatest professional week of my life. When you see Casey's final action sequence just know that it's stunt man free save for one small shot because these two put their trust in me. Also, because they're insane. I lost 8 pounds over the course of five shooting days. So there we have it. The list could go on but this will have to do for now. I'm so proud of the work we put forth over the last three months. And just like that, production begins on the 70th episode of Arrow this Monday. Now that's what I call a hiatus! S

aimnt.gif?w=650

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh, the shredder switch was a mess but i went in with really low expectations (didnt care for bay's transofrmer/etc work) and i didn't hate it/enjoyed bits, so yeah, especially having arrow on board makes me kinda excited here

• 2 weeks later...

I loathed the first one. To me, a huge part of TMNT is the Hamato Yoshi / Oroku Saki dynamic.

There was no mention whatsoever of Hamato Yoshi in the first one. Splinter learned to ninja from a book in the sewer. The turtles didn't even ninja! They wore a bunch of flashy gear, lumbered into scenes and beat up on armed thugs half their size!

Such torture to watch as a TMNT superfan. But hey, Transformers makes bajillions of dollars. The movie didn't need to be good, but successful.

The only thing I'm looking forward to in this "thing" is what Rocksteady and Beebop are gonna look like. I've always wished they had used them in Secret of the Ooze.

I don't think I did the spoiler-thing right...

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

Rocksteady and Beebop.

291F309100000578-3101289-image-a-44_1432836865860.jpg

Wow. I'm down w/ that. So happy to see live-action version of these guys. Been dreaming of what could've been since Secret of the Ooze. Crazy to see this.

Looks like they updated Rocksteady's human form w/ a beard. Hope he loses it when he mutates, but I'm totally digging these versions.

I loathed the first one. To me, a huge part of TMNT is the Hamato Yoshi / Oroku Saki dynamic.

There was no mention whatsoever of Hamato Yoshi in the first one. Splinter learned to ninja from a book in the sewer. The turtles didn't even ninja! They wore a bunch of flashy gear, lumbered into scenes and beat up on armed thugs half their size!

Such torture to watch as a TMNT superfan. But hey, Transformers makes bajillions of dollars. The movie didn't need to be good, but successful.

The only thing I'm looking forward to in this "thing" is what Rocksteady and Beebop are gonna look like. I've always wished they had used them in Secret of the Ooze.

I don't think I did the spoiler-thing right...

YES! Thank you.

This is my one big complaint about the first movie! Splinter's Hamato backstory is one of my favorites, so I was really bummed that they changed it. And I just can't suspend disbelief long enough to believe you can master ninjitsu from reading a book.

This is my one big complaint about the first movie! Splinter's Hamato backstory is one of my favorites, so I was really bummed that they changed it. And I just can't suspend disbelief long enough to believe you can master ninjitsu from reading a book.

I'm not trying to defend the new movie, I have not and will not watch it, but...

You can't accept a master of ninjitsu reading form a book. But you can accept an ordinary pet rat becoming a master of ninjitsu before he even encounters mutagen?

OH?! You wanna go there? Let's go there! LOL!

By that logic, you can argue that if you can accept mutated humanoid animals, you should be able to accept anything.

A bad idea is a bad idea.

The beauty of the original story is that a Ninja Master's pet rat loved him so, it mimicked his master's moves while he trained ninjitsu. It's like an opera singer with a dog. The loyal dog would be at all the rehearsals and try to sing along, mimicking her routine. It's sweet.

The pet owner gets killed, the pet gets mutated, it still has that bond - and now the bone structure to apply what it knows. It performs a sort of solemn, personal requiem. It's tragically awesome.

This is just some mutant lab rat, who randomly bumped into a book. A book on Ninjitsu. He not only understands what the strange object is, he decides to master it. I would find it hard for any human to master ninjitsu - let alone, simply from a book.

The connection is gone, the logic is gone. A huge chunk of the 'heart' of TMNT is lost. The only reason he knows ninjitsu is because the audience knows this character is supposed to know it - and that was the best they could do, it found a book. The removal of the character Hamato Yoshi hurt the story more than it strengthened it.

The logic that "fans are sick of the same ol' story" and "sick of the same ol' costume." is so wrong in my opinion. When the visual medium of 'comics' are translated to the screen, personally, I want the visual I love and the character that I love. I don't want Superman with green hair and a purple cape and I don't want Spidey without an Uncle Ben.

Nerd mode: DEACTIVATED! LOL!

By that logic, you can argue that if you can accept mutated humanoid animals, you should be able to accept anything.

I don't go along with that. With my sci-fi stories, I've no problem allowing a specific or series of related impossibilities, Bruce Banner surviving a gamma bomb and turning into the Hulk, Peter Parker acquiring the powers of a spider through a radioactive spider bite or four pet turtles mutating into humanoid figures. But just because we allow this illogical, often silly moment, doesn't mean we should throw all rules of physics and nature out the window. For example, let's say one of the Turtles hands was cut off in a scene and then without any explanation a scene later they have both hands again. A hand growing back is more plausible than mutated turtles, but if you allow anything to happen, it descends into absurdity.

a Ninja Master's pet rat...mimicked his master's moves while he trained ninjitsu....the logic is gone.

I first encountered TMNT in the animated series, but saw the first movie when I was about five years old and even then, the idea of a pet rat learning and understanding ninjitsu seemed mind numbingly stupid to me. It's no worse or better than a rat reading a book and learning ninjitsu that way.

I hear ya.

What I meant by the logic is gone, is that the rat's whole world was his master and ninjitsu. It would make logical sense his mutated form had a natural affinity for ninjitsu.

As opposed to a mutated rat mastering the first random book he found in the sewer - which turned out to be ninjitsu. How random is that? That's his whole character. Thank god it wasn't a Penthouse! OY! "Mutant rat and turtles strike again!"

Think about this though. You're a rat; your concerns are eating, shitting, and mating. Then one day you suddenly have thoughts, ideas, goals. You happen on something, some random thing you find, you realize that it's not just some incidental object, that it means something. It's a book, you study it, learn it, you fixate on it because this is the first thing of importance you've ever really known. I could totally see a newly sentient creature fixating on an object so much that they know everything about it, so while it's a stretch for Splinter to master ninjitsu from a book, he's approaching it with the tenacity of a developing child so his brain would be most readily capable of such a thing.

It's dodgy logic all around, but more sensible than a regular-ass rat doing martial arts.

I love how the IDW comic mixes all that is TMNT into one new animal. It honors and respects the past while delivering it in a way you've never seen before, and it all feels like it fits the franchise and brand. I love Krang's origin!

My only complaint:

Is that reincarnation bit. I don't mind it as a villain or side-character origin, but all the central heroes coming back from the dead...it kinda bugs me. Great fuel for the vengeance/revenge angle, but ah dunno - I get moments where I hear Cogliostro narrating. The origin works great for this universe, but I'm not in love with that particular Turtle approach. If you can read between the lines - it's a game changer.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go with that angle in this Turtle sequel, but because of it's game-changing nature it could be considered too controversial for some. The first one seemed to be targeted at clueless children. After seeing Rocksteady, Beebop and Casey - this one could be targeting older TMNT fans.

axels - # 47, i wanna say...and yeah, i didn't like him learning it from a book in the movie either, but i tried not to dwell on it

Nemo -

i had that same vibe/concern early on too but looking at it now, i dig the angle, primarily because it's not something they dwell on nearly as much as, say, your spawn example - which makes a centerpiece of the cycle. this felt like an interesting take to tie in the ancient japanese stuff & really push the bond/rivalry; it could easily have not worked in execution (it's the kinda thing i'd read on a wiki and shake my head) but i personally think it's worked out great so far

• 3 months later...

Wow - Judith Hoag looks good...

Looks like they're really taking steps in trying to appeal to the older fans w/ this one. Next step is to retcon the giant hulking turtle-monsters and replace them w/ ninja turtles.

Man, she does look great! That dress is doing her all kinds of favors. Even at her age, she'd still make a better April than Megan Fox...

Agreed with your last sentence there as well! happy.png If only...

EVaiaOu.jpg

tmnt-2014-raphael-elbow.gif?w=650

tumblr_n9yyk1N3mz1tdidbuo1_500.gif

I have such fond memories of that first movie. I asked a girl in my school if she wanted to see it w/ me in the theater. My first 'date'. Both our parents went with us. I remember we both looked at each other like, 'huuuuh?' seeing the different origin from the cartoon. Both our jaws dropped at the end when Shredder unmasked. We were like, 'uh-oooh...' LOL!

(whispers) "It's him..."

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles-TheMovie1990DvDrip-aXXo2480_zps9060f531.jpg

I was into the Archie comics - and in the back of an issue, they had an article about the original comics. I was blown away that the movie was based on a darker version of the turtles. Since then, I've been fascinated w/ the stories that spawned the empire.

The first movie and the first 2 seasons of the 2k3 series are really close to the original comics. A live-action version of the Turtles in Space arc would be cool. (TCRI, Utroms, Triceratons, Fugitoid)

I done a few 'edits' and 'mash-ups' w/ the 1990 movie, way back when I was cutting my teeth - learning the craft of editing. One day - I will share. Judith Hoag FTW!

It would be cool if they used a Splinter more like the one in the new animated show. One that's an adult in his prime instead of an old decrepit Mr. Miyagi type. Granted Splinter had the best fight scene in the new movie I thought, it was still like watching Yoda hop around. (And I liked the Yoda hopping in the prequels)

I like the old, filthy rat. He's at least 16 years old (the age of the turtles) - I think he's at the end of his lifespan. How long do rats live for? He should be old - I'm assuming he's been alive for years before he mutated, also.

splinter.jpg

I think if it's a Splinter in his prime, like in the toon - he should be the mutated human version. He could be a strong, fit human - then bam - strong, fit rat-thing.

tumblr_n4lonbFsy91sq7qfjo8_400.gif

tumblr_n4lonbFsy91sq7qfjo3_400.gif

tumblr_n4lonbFsy91sq7qfjo6_400.gif

• 1 month later...