Hondo's Bar

Metroid Prime

The NZA

Granted I haven't played it yet myself but I've seen the extended trailer and demos on a free disc from hollywood so Heres my limited observations.

This time its set up as a First Person Shooter(FPS) rather than the traditional sidescrolling action platform. Looks like it was really done well, Graphics are so detailed that when particularly large blasts get shot or explode near you samus' eyes and (if a bright enough blast) face appear mirrored in the glass of your helmet.

Things seem to shift pretty seemlessly from 1st person to Third to take Ball shape and drop into passages. The grappling hook and regular charge blast are all i can remember seeing but the targetting system looked pretty good.

Can't wait to give this sucker a try over at IC's.

Played it at best buy.

I'm in love :D

Surprisingly similar to Starcraft : Ghost. another awesome 1st person shooter ( for friggin consoles only) Not a rip cause its been in production a long ass time. it may be a shame if people dont buy it because they feel its a copy. i hope it holds its own water and feeds the fanbase for more starcraft based games to come. :D

( for friggin consoles only)

PC whore!

Yeah, your Starcraft game's catching some good marks so far, might havta check it out in your honor.

I knew you'd dig the FPS stuff, but im curious since i only played a bit of the same demo: do ya think it really catches the feel of the old series? One reviewer sincerely felt it struck him as "Super Metroid in 3-D", which was a huge selling point for me, since that game was badass. Just wondering if it feels like a really cool FPS or a really cool Metroid game that happens to be FPS, you know?

I've played it. It's a wonderful game. It really does feel like a Metroid game, so don't worry about about the FPS aspect ruining the experience.And the graphics are incredible! The air actually ripples when you fire a charged blast! I did have a couple problems with it, though. One, the visors. A lot of situations force you to switch your visor view to activate switches or learn information. It's a great idea, but the only problem with it is, you can't use weapons except in combat visor view. So god forbid some creature sneaks up on you while you're looking for a switch to activate. Two, don't expect to have any clue as to what you're doing. After the intro on the space station, Samus goes down to the planet with one goal - investigate. And that's what you have to do. A whole frickin' planet to "investigate" before you figure out what the hell to do next. The levels are huge! (with no load time, mind you - woohoo!) And they're beautifully designed. But expect to get lost for a very long time. And three, I personally woulda liked a little more story. I always thought Samus was a great character, and would've liked to see more of that character. But true to every other Metroid game, there really is no narrative. Just go down there, figure out what you have to kill, kill it, done. Not even a single word of dialogue in the entire game. A lot of people will love that because, like I said, it follows the Metroid tradition. I, personally, would've liked to have seen more, though. All of those are very minor problems, though. In fact, they're not even problems, just parts of the game that some people could love. Overall, believe me, this is a wonderfully made game. If you loved the old Metroid games, this will give you the same feel despite the new angle.

..and thats the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, i like it! (K.C. and the Sunshine Band...)

Ok ill stop, ill post a real review when i'm further into this one. Thanks again tho Bob - seems like a lot more searching than the previous installments, that's for sure. Cant wait to see Kraid or Ridley.

i wish i got to play more of this game. From what i have played, it's beautiful. The graphics are totally smooth and detailed. The lighting effects from gunfire and special effects are top notch. I totally dig the way the background/title screen is interactive, kind of like a well done dvd menu. It is very difficult to find something wrong with the game.

The only thing is: i'm used the new layout for fps shooters which i've played recently (halo, red faction 2, splinter cell) where you move with the left stick and aim with the right. Metroid prime totally threw me off when i played it. I had problems aiming up and down and switching the visor/attack mode. Those guys that did metroid could have incorporated the dual thumbstick setup somehow or at least gave you the option to set up the controls. Well, i'm pretty sure if i had some more time, i'd get used to it.

Definately though, definately... it is hands down the best gamecube game so far.

Yeah I finally played a demo of this at gamestop the other day, Pretty smooth transitions from mode to mode, graphics are superb. The only problem I had was adjusting to the control/controls. Never played gamecube before so the control pad itself(which was fairly abused) took some getting used to along with the new Metroid controls. but like spiffy said, with time i would have gotten used to it.

• 1 month later...

This game's bosses can kick my ass all over the place sometimes. Damn you, rock monster! :D

Seriously tho - Silent Bob was on the money, the further you get into this one, the more you realize its the same old school Metroid, just a lot bigger, prettier & more involving. Level layouts & mad backtracking, great map features, massive bosses with weak points to exploit, hidden items all over the damn place, tons of mini-quests....this is one of the greats.

I also really dig that if youre lost, or simply ditch the game & come back later, Samus' auto-map system sends periodic reminders of where the action's goin down to get you on your way.

I cant recommend this one enough, to fans of Metroid or even FPS's. The learning curve doesnt take too long but you keep learning/gaining new abilities as you play, and the Gamecube's controller is ideal for this kinda thing.

20021113l.gif

• 2 weeks later...

jesus no. I thought i was far but the system says its only like 45% done...you know when you think youre far cause you have a lot of items on the inventory screen but then you start the quest thats like "you need 12 of these really hard to find, gaurded by satan himself stones to go to the last level"? Yeah i got like 3 of em now.

Ok, aside from badass boses who make you think to exploit their weaknesses (like the old school ones did), you know what else is great about this game? It has that megaman feeling that when you beat someone really fuckin hard to solve a bitch of a puzzle, you get either an energy tank or a whole new ability that looks really cool. So even if youre pissed and frustrated, you wanna keep goin to see what you get next.

Just got me mah ice beam. If things go well, im gonna find me some metroids and show em mah "oh" face.

• 1 month later...

I only played the game for a little while, and it was kind of hard to switch weapons and target when you're using that controller. The targetting also slows you down a little as well. But then again, I never really played any games for gamecube. I guess if you can get used to the controls and the targetting system I'm sure it would be a decent game.

I remember playing the old SNES Super Metroid and it was pretty cool

I thought that the game was very smooth when I played it. Although I personally prefer the original side-scrolling type games, I thought that it was very fluid with great graphics. I couldn't quite get the handle on the Gamecube controller, but I'm sure once you get past that things get much easier/better from there.

• 1 year later...

Gameforms...

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes demo disc impressions

» Purple rain, purple rain...

News | Saturday, September 11, 2004 | Ed McGlothlin [Contributing Editor]

Despite all the pressure that surrounded the 2002’s Metroid Prime, the sequel faces a bigger challenge. Can Echoes live up to the series name, improve on the celebrated Prime, and justify coming out relatively quickly afterwards? The demo included in this fall's Metroid Gamecube bundle, while limited, does hint at a different feel than the original.

Samus is guided with the same responsive control scheme, a welcome return for all but FPS fans hoping for twin-stick option. She begins armed with the Power Beam, Missiles, and Morph Ball, in addition to the new Light and Dark Beams. The Light Beam is used to activate safe areas in the dark version of the planet Aether and is strong against dark enemies, while the Dark Beam opened certain doors in the demo.

Slight changes have been made to the HUD and map found in Echoes. The HUD now displays Energy Tanks in a more visible way and includes an ammo counter for the limited Light and Dark Beams. The map can now be toggled between light and dark versions of Aether, with often overlapping environments.

Overall, the game’s tweaked engine promises more graphical polish than the first. The environments make a quick impression with nicely detailed architecture, including rooms more filled with debris and objects than before. Samus’ suit has a much sharper set of textures and more even color scheme, with less of the original bright orange.

New enemies called the Ing inhabit this world, though early battles inevitably feel similar to fighting Space Pirates. The demo suffers from not feeling like a self-contained experience – a brief intro and quick exit contrast poorly with the strong and well-directed opening scene from the original Metroid Prime. No word on how accurately the demo reflects the opening of the game.

The most important change here is a switch in tone from the original Prime. The subdued, serious Prime has been infused with more color and motion. This may barely register to some, but it could have a strong impact on those who find the restrained atmosphere a crucial part of the series’ success.

The camera jumps more often and more quickly, including four times alone for Samus’ exit from her ship. The scan visor now displays objects in garish green and blue colors, making the difference between scanned and unchecked objects more obvious, but breaking harshly from the surrounding world.

The HUD icons for weapons and visors are now colored, and the world now includes swirling portals, elevators that speed hastily to the next floor, and other flashy sci-fi elements. You will also find a bottomless pit and rooms that stay locked until minor enemies are killed, both previously avoided by Metroid.

The biggest example is in the introduction. Prime’s landing scene had a ship realistically pushing through the atmosphere, then landing quietly in a rain-soaked clearing. Echoes has the ship spinning and swirling across the screen, all while the atmosphere switches between grey and bright Prince purple, with the ship finally crashing into a wall of rocks.

We can't say whether the too-eager-to-please feel of the demo will become an issue, but count on exceptional art quality and smooth controls when Metroid Prime 2: Echoes launches on November 19. The system bundle including the demo will be available until supplies dry up, so don’t hesitate if you’ve never experienced either version of Prime.

Along with the demo, the bundled disc also has a timeline for the Metroid series, two videos for Echoes, and an art gallery. The art gallery is by far the most impressive extra, containing dozens of pieces in a slide show that saves you the trouble of manually flipping through the artwork. An option to view stills would have been appreciated, but the mass of work is impressive.

The timeline is less so, including a slowly scrolling summary and small piece of looping footage for each game. It does help place each game in the Samus' history, though. The trailer and preview video are fairly similar, with one including more story footage and the other more gameplay. But the best gameplay footage comes from letting the title screen of the demo sit and watching the attract mode, which shows everything from the multi-lock missiles to the return of the Screw Attack.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...

So here's my tinfoil hat theory. Nintendo was hyper focused on making the Switch a success. So they told a team to start working on MP4. Or whatever it was called. Nintendo went back to focusing on the Switch success. Cut to 3 years later, switch is a success. Nintendo goes - ok lets go check in on this metroid thing. 

...they were not happy with the results. 

After the failure of other M, they could not risk having another bad metroid game - especially one on their newest hottest console. Nintendo lives and dies by its exclusives and the Switch hasent hit max saturation yet - thus needing another big first party hit.

...Nintendo make a phone call to Austin and has to eat a lot of crow, and offer up a lot of funds and now, in a few years - we will get the Metroid game everyone wants.

• Upvote 1