Hondo's Bar

Good Country Music

MI0001608512.jpg

totally still country & western but i literally bought this on vinyl just last week...not really what your'e looking for here though

when i lived in texas i enjoyed a handful of tracks by Alan Jackson, Hank WIlliams, Chris LeDoux, George Strait, Mark Knopfler, Kenny Wayne Sheperd Band, and others but i'd have to look up the exact songs...baytor would prolly be better here.

I also totally dug the Dixie Chicks.

Okay, I'm gonna ignore the "not country and western" part because A) I've never really determined where the line is and B) Because no.

Now this is in no way a comprehensive list. There's pretty much no Merle Haggard or Willie Nelson as I've never really been into either but lots of people dig them. This is jut a bunch of songs I like from various eras, styles, and tones. Your mileage may vary.

I'd post videos but it'll use all the bandwidth so I'll just hyperlink to Youtube videos, ignore the actual video aspect as those are almost uniformly terrible. These all skew dark but there are a few upbeat and/or funny ones too. Some of these I'm not sure are your taste but I tried to keep a good chunk similar to Cash in an attempt to sway you.

I've also left Garth Brooks off this list entirely, he has some good songs but I'll get to those when I'm certain he won't scare you off.

(Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard have a
too)

John Prine and Iris Dement - In Spite of Ourselves

John Anderson - Seminole Wind

(It's alternative country)

Mark Collie - In Time

(Context is important here: This song is written off as a sappy love song, IT IS NOT. Tammy Wynette was married to a worthless wife-beating drunk, keep that in your mind and listen to her voice as she sings.)

Patsy Cline - Crazy

Also, I'm gonna preface this because I know you're gonna scoff since she's become a punchline over the last few decades, but just listen to the songs. She was an incredibly talented singer/songwriter once upon a time:

Dolly Parton - Jolene

That should get you started.

• Upvote 2