Hondo's Bar

Mario Maker

The NZA

did we lose this thread? anyway, lookit what Nintendo Store in EU is getting:

11153764-1234314769184421.jpg

The Super Mario Maker Wii U Premium Pack includes the Wii U Premium Console, Super Mario Maker, Mario Classic Colours amiibo, 8 Bit Mario Soft Toy, Super Mario Maker artbook and Super Mario Maker T-Shirt.

I can't wait for this game. I was ALL OVER Mario Paint back in the day. I wish you could mix n' match style types - like place 8-bit goombas in an HD Mario U world - but you can't. Only a single "style" per stage - they say it's 'cuz of physics issues. The kinds of Mario abilities / default gameplay depends on the stage aesthetic. Like, an 8-bit Mario (SMB1) can't do the spin attack from SMW. I'm okay w/ that - it makes sense, but still - I wish! At least you can link different styled stages to form a full world. I bet the sequel is gonna have the mix n' max dream delivered and I BET we gonna get SMB2 assets as DLC.

• 1 month later...

It's out today!!!

Looks like Nintendo put out a patch eliminating that 9-day-unlock system.

http://www.ign.com/a...ait-for-unlocks

The game would've automatically unlocked assets on a daily basis, eventually unlocking everything over 9 days. Now assets unlock relative to how much you've built. A no-brainer better incentive. It encourages gameplay. People could just mess w/ the internal clock and get everything right off the bat - that was a pointless unlock structure.

Every copy comes with an Idea Book, filled w/ stage samples / ideas and artwork.

1300236240965988935.jpg

I got my Link Amiibo ready to go.

8-mystery-mushroom-costumes-in-super-mario-maker_1.jpg

I'm gonna recreate classic levels (World 1-1 SMB, World 1-1 SMB3, World 1-1 SMW) and a whole bunch of others - LOL - and add some awesome. I wanna try some classic NES stages with HD aesthetics. It's gonna be fun.

super_mario_maker_art.jpg?w=640&h=510&crop=1

MarioGameStyles.jpg

EDIT: Here's a really informative review.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly
  • Upvote 1

I recreated the first world from SMB (1-1 through 1-4) and the first stage from SMB3. I did a meticulous pixel perfect replica.

It's cool to switch between the different art / graphical styles. I also made variant versions where those stages are altered w/ different enemies and effects. It's mildly entertaining. The 100 Mario Challenge spits random user-generated stages at you - you got 100 lives to beat 16 stages. Some are decent challenges, most are just a cheap death fests.

There's over a 100 different skins you can unlock and play as. Placing an amiibo gives you that skin - but you don't need the amiibo - I unlocked a Game n Watch skin and a R.O.B. Also got a KK Slider skin. Everytime you complete the Mario Challenge, it gives you a random skin.

Overall, it doesn't feel like a $60 game. Infinity is $65 and it's fully loaded and comes w/ 2 figures. Mario Maker needs more assets and control. I tried to recreate the first stage of SMW, but a lot of the enemies aren't in the game. They should have the ability to chose the music you want on the stage...it'd be great if you can mix and match graphical styles. Not enough bang for $60. If you're on the fence, wait for a price drop. It's a good game, but not $60 good. No bugs, just needs more content and options.

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One word: MOVE!!! Took me 4 lives - but it was a nice, bite-size...die a couple o' times n' you'll get it challenge.

A lot of the levels people post are just impossible, cheap death-fests. After a few tries, I end up just skipping 'em - like, fuck this.

I tried to make levels that reward exploration and experimentation - without hints (no arrows or coins telling you to try that pipe). Your level didn't frustrate me - just requires focus.

After that Thwomp got me at the top twice in a row, though - I was like, "Wow, Panch is a bitch." LOL!!! Dem Bullet Bills had me clenching my buttocks pretty tightly, too. LOL!!!

tumblr_mqno3yUBcH1qh59n0o1_500.gif

• 2 months later...

Now the game has checkpoints, doors that require keys, key-coins...you can make some pretty legit levels w/ all that. That's what I'm talking about - those are the kinda levels I'm interested in. I'm gonna hafta redo the stage I posted - I want to add all those elements to it.

I was checking out the update and tried out some Event Courses - they put out a crap-load of new skins, which you get by completing an Event Course. I played for about an hour and so far, I got a few good ones: Professor E. Gadd, Frog Mario, Birdo, the Bunny from that Badge Game on the 3DS, Mr. Saturn aaand this guy...holy crap...

They also put out a few more elements n' enemies - including a new Fire-Spitting Clown Car.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...