Hondo's Bar

Favorite Movies of 2015

Keth

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw Bone Tomahawk and I wrote a longer opinion in the "last movie you watched" thread, but the short version is it's damn good, and just shy of genre perfection.

I also finally saw Straight Outta Compton. I definitely didn't love it as much as Donatella, and it wouldn't make my Top 10, but it was still an entertaing piece of film--mostly because I found it humorous how blatantly Dre and Cube were telling their own stories of their "rise to greatness" through the guise of trying to honor Eazy. I will say that director F. Gary Gray did a good job of highlighting the importance of NWA's stance against police violence and how their sentiments in songs like "Fuck the Police" are still sadly relevant nearly 25 years later.

Nemo, I'm with you on a lesser extent to the disappointment with Jurassic World. I thought it was fun yet lacking in the direction a bit. Also, I think I let the hype for Ex-Machina led me to the same, less than stellar, opinion you have on it. The "twist" of the plot was a little obvious, but the direction and performances were good though. And I still need to see Chappie. Definitely not 8x as Baytor would recommend, but I do need to give it a shot.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

mostly because I found it humorous how blatantly Dre and Cube were telling their own stories of their "rise to greatness" through the guise of trying to honor Eazy.

eh they left out some controversial stuff no doubt (not hard to do in a movie that length) but Dre & Cube were the big superstars - E had 1 great solo album, and then a string of duds looking for talent till Bone. They did right by showing Eazy setting up the whole deal & actually living the gangster life they wrote about, that and the feud are pretty much the big things and they were more than adequately covered, i thought.

I know they spent some time on it, but you could really do a whole movie on either of their solo stuff, i think - and i love Ren but he's not carrying shit.

i used to say the same, till i read Dre (and sometimes cube i wanna say) did a lotta the beatwork on the bigger stuff...it's like Eric b & Rakim, where the latter & dudes like large professor did some of the more well known efforts. dude made a mistake not leaving with dre when he had the chance, and his resume after the fallout kinda shows it