Hondo's Bar

John Carpenter remaking Halloween

source

Let's get this out of the way: Blumhouse has teamed up with Miramax and Malek Akkad to remake Halloween. And that's not all: John Carpenter is executive producing and is dedicated to working closely with the director.

Oh, and Jason Blum says they're negotiating to have him provide the score.

This will be a new version, one that fixes what Carpenter disliked about Rob Zombie's remake: "Michael Myers is not a character," Carpenter said at an event announcing the deal. "He's not a person. He's a force of nature. He's one part human and one part supernatural."

Jason Blum says that, like the original, this Halloween will be lower budget in the Blumhouse mold. He said that if you get to $15 million you start losing creative battles for budget battles, that you have to explain everything.

giphy.gif

Kinda like Carpenter's quote at the end of the article: "Be true to the original spirit of the movie. Don't get carried away. Tell a simple story. Tell a scary story."

yeah, having just finally seen the original a few years back, i think it really aged well because of that approach - i like hearing that here as well!

Im gonna say it, Rob Zombie's Halloween was better than the original. Loads better. Part 2 on the other hand...

wait, for real? after house of 1,000 corpses or whatever, i figured he was just doing his own thing, wasn't aware that his take here might've been solid

wait, for real? after house of 1,000 corpses or whatever, i figured he was just doing his own thing, wasn't aware that his take here might've been solid

Sooooooo when I say his Halloween movie was cool you tease me for weeks, but when Axels says it, you're suddenly "unaware it might've been a solid take?"

tumblr_lgut1rY3qk1qzbl7f.gif

Perhaps my opinion might matter more if it were attached to a penis!!

I'm kidding. Maybe. Hmph. Jerk.

• Sad 1

Not spoilering any of this so watch the Rob Zombie movies first if you don't want to know.

It's not as awful as people make it out to be. The kid they got to play Little Mikey is indeed a great actor but a good scary set-up, like a good joke, is undermined by explaining it too much and Rob Zombie massively overexplains Michael Myers. Maybe pro-wrestler Michael would've been more intimidating if we hadn't seen him slowly galvanizing into an unrepentent psychopath but he's honestly just as ridiculous as Kane Hodder's Jason Voorhees, just taken a bit more seriously. Then there's the plot of the original movie which is rushed through in the third act and it's handled poorly, everyone but Brad Dourif and Danielle Harris feels inferior to their past counterpart (Scout Taylor Compton is a big weak point, Sherri Moon Zombie is the other one) and Loomis just feels like he's there because he was in the original. There's no tension or fear, it's certainly visceral but it's not scary nor does it seem to be trying to be. Halloween is the archetype of what people hate about Rob Zombie movies: everybody feels stunt-cast (especially his wife but basically anyone played by a famous director or film star seems to be there so the audience can say "Hey! That's Ken Foree!"), it's especially ugly seemingly for ugliness sake at times (looking at Danielle Harris' character's rape or the death of Laurie's parents), and there ultimately seems to be very little point. Rob Zombie's Halloween is more of an ultraviolent drama in a horror film's clothes and while it's got its high points it has some valleys where the low points are concerned. Also the theatrical version of the movie, much better than Zombie's self-indulgent director's cut, is basically gone from the world. It's still better than 4 through H20 though.

Zombie's Halloween 2 is crazy, like legitimately and certifiably so, but it was a lot more interesting and entertaining. There is a point to Halloween 2, the characters actually have personalities and goals and Michael's motivations and thoughts are more ambiguous as they should be. Laurie's journey is an interesting story and there's weight to the return of Dourif and Harris' characters, Loomis is way out of left field from the first movie but Zombie at least wrote a character instead of just copy/pasted him from the original movie. It's fucking batshit and the whole thing about Sherri Moon's character and the dreams with the white horse are fucking stupid but the movie is a much better movie.

The one I fairly enjoy is Resurrection. It's got the problems of a lot of mid-00s horror movies (I mean, Busta Rhymes fights Michael with Kung Fu) but it does largely do what Carpenter's talking about by returning Michael to just a supernatural boogeyman. It jettisons all that Myers family bullshit that all the sequels were mired in and takes it back to being a slasher movie, even if the characters and set-up are nothing special.

And yeah Nick, watch It Follows.

• Upvote 1

Sooooooo when I say his Halloween movie was cool you tease me for weeks, but when Axels says it, you're suddenly "unaware it might've been a solid take?"

tumblr_lgut1rY3qk1qzbl7f.gif

Perhaps my opinion might matter more if it were attached to a penis!!

I'm kidding. Maybe. Hmph. Jerk.

Please. He's been doing this to me since we were kids.

• 1 year later...

John Carpenter Confirms New ‘Halloween’ Movie Will Ignore the Sequels, might be last film in series

Over the last decade, Rob Zombie has made one admirable remake and a frankly visionary sequel to that remake, but Carpenter has largely left the franchise alone until very recently, when David Gordon Greenand Danny McBridebrought him a new story that he connected to immediately. The filmmaker is serving as creative consultant and executive producer for the latest Halloweenmovie, which Green will also direct, and his original muse, Jamie Lee Curtis, is returning to play Laurie Strode, the iconic “final girl” from the original. The movie arrives on October 19th, 2018 and it has quickly skyrocketed to the top of my most anticipated movies of 2018 list. Yes, I actually have a list.

[IMG]

One looming question about this remake is where exactly the story will exist compared to the other Halloween movies and during an interview on CBS Sunday Morning, which you can watch below, Carpenter slipped in a tidbit of information about that very thing. After speaking about how the original movie came together and his upcoming tour behind the recently released anthology of his classic scores for his films, Carpenter confirmed that the new movie will ignore all the sequels, including (presumably) Zombie’s movies. Not much else is known about the direction Carpenter, Green, and McBride are taking this but they have all proven themselves to be imaginative filmmakers before. Whatever they dream up between now and next October may not be as stunning as Carpenter’s original vision but considering its pedigree, it’s unlikely it will be anything less than fascinating.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...