Hondo's Bar

Marvel Legacy & Generations

The NZA

alex-ross-generations6xu3q.jpg

is it a series, or a graphic novel? is Ross doing interiors here somehow? we just don't know!

so here's a bunch of art Ross has done for Marvel in recent times:

SecretWars05%20copy.jpgSecretWars06%20copy.jpgAvengers05%20copy.jpgAvengers07%20copy.jpgDoctorStrangeOmnibusAlexRoss%20copy.jpgAvengers06AlexRoss%20copy.jpgcmZkKWW.jpgSecret_Wars_1.jpgsecret_wars_2_alex_ross_cover.jpg?15016eSCWARS2015007_Ross.jpg?1434421517

credit where it's due, he's clearly long since dropped that shitty stance of only wanting to draw silver age characters

I get the It reference but not the Archie reference. I've nothing to add to the thread topic though, I'm still only up to the year 2000 on my journey to catch up with Marvel continuity on Marvel Unlimited.

i thought that creepy cover was another Ross one?

and i'll just warn you before you dive in: there's some excellent stuff awaiting you, but if i had to point to which of the dozen + events that you've missed since 2000, there's not many. Annihilation, bits of Civil War, and Secret War come to mind. there's so much stuff that happened in between that had no consequence/didn't really stand out, event-wise.

• 2 months later...

newsarama says 616 wolvy's back with this event

GenerationsGif.gif?1492711720?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=*:1400

New information has been released on Marvel's Generations, clarifying it as a 10-issue maxi-series with largely standalone on-off stories with a different pair of legacy heroes and creators in each issue.

Although described by Marvel as a "10-issue maxi-series," each issue of Generations will be labeled #1 with a different subtitle given to each issue - The Best, The Americas, The Bravest, etc. - to delineate each issue.

Here is a rundown of each issue, in order, with the characters and creators involved as described by Marvel

GENERATIONS: THE BEST starring Wolverine and All-New Wolverine

Written by Tom Taylor

Art by Ramon Rosanas

GENERATIONS: THE AMERICAS starring Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson

Written by Nick Spencer

Art by Paul Renaud

GENERATIONS: THE BRAVEST starring Captain Mar-Vell and Captain Marvel

Written by Margie Stohl

Art by Brent Schoonover

GENERATIONS: THE THUNDER starring The Mighty Thor and The Unworthy Thor

Written by Jason Aaron

Art by Mahmud Asrar

GENERATIONS: THE STRONGEST starring Bruce Banner and Amadeus Cho

Written by Greg Pak

GENERATIONS: THE ARCHERS starring Clint Barton and Kate Bishop

Written by Kelly Thompson

GENERATIONS: THE IRON starring Iron Man and Ironheart

Written by Brian Michael Bendis

Art by Marco Rudy

GENERATIONS: THE MARVELS starring Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel

Written by G. Willow Wilson

GENERATIONS: THE SPIDERS starring Peter Parker and Miles Morales

Written by Brian Michael Bendis

Art by Ramon Perez

GENERATIONS: THE PHOENIX starring Phoenix and Jean Grey

Written by Cullen Bunn

Generarions_TheBest_CoipelVariant.jpg?1492709230?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=*:1400 |

Credit: Olivier Coipel (Marvel Comics)

No artists are named for the The Strongest, The Archers, The Marvels or The Phoenix issues.

“Marvel’s greatest icons return to the page this August, paired with the next generation of the Marvel Universe,” said Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “However, do all our heroes emerge from Generations as they entered, or become something greater? If you want to know where Marvel is headed in the future, you don’t want to miss Generations.”

Generations is now scheduled to debut in August, the same month that the current Secret Empire is scheduled to conclude.

"Running August to September, this 10-issue maxi-series put to the test in this universe-wide team-up that will shed light on the most pressing questions about the future of the Marvel Universe, and the fate of everyone’s favorite heroes," said Marvel.com Senior Editor Ben Morse.

The biggest & best heroes of the Marvel Universe team up this August in
#Generations
by the industry's top creators:
https://t.co/aSIWraNqIB
pic.twitter.com/6qggLvFqTb
— Marvel Entertainment (@Marvel)
April 20, 2017

Marvel Comics Releases "Legacy" Teaser

Marvel Comics has released an ambiguous new teaser image for “Marvel Legacy,” which will arrive this fall.

Aside from the text-based image (released via ComicBook), no further details were provided by the publisher. However, based on recent comments, it’s safe to assume “Marvel Legacy” isn’t a major event, as the publisher announced that there would be no more big events for at least 18 months following “Secret Empire.”

The most obvious hypothesis is that “Marvel Legacy” will somehow be tied to “Generations,” the ten-issue storyline kicking off in July and running through September 2017. When it was first announced, Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso told ABC News, “We are looking to honor the legacy of the entire universe, so we are taking the iconic legacy heroes and pairing them with the new class.”

Marvel-Legacy-Teaser-Full.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=20&w=655&h=655&fit=crop

low sales + talk of "Make Mine Marvel" about feel like potentially a soft reboot of some kind? i don't expect universe-wide stuff but we're clearly getting certain characters back, and at Secret Empire should be wrapping up.

they've also talked about returning certain books to their original numbering, i imagine some anniversaries are coming up. i don't see this as the new/diverse lineup going away, but by reviving some of the classics, i wonder if that means lower-selling books like Nova will see more concentrated efforts on sharing stories rather than just torching-passing cameos? who knows.

honestly, as a huge marvel fan: they just need to get some of their top talent back.

*edit: new info from chicago!

Marvel_Legacy_Joe_Quesada.jpg

Announced during the "Marvel's Next Big Thing" panel at Chicago's C2E2 2017 on Saturday, Legacy 's "bold new direction" will begin with an 50-page Marvel Legacy #1 one-shot by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic that will feature "the Earth-shattering return of a beloved Marvel mainstay" (cue Fantastic Four speculation now) and will continue through with the publisher's long-running titles reverting to their original series or "classic legacy" numbering.

“The Marvel Legacy initiative is a celebration of everything that makes Marvel the best in fiction and it’s a signifier of a new era for Marvel Comics,” said Quesada. “It’s a loving look at the heart of Marvel as we embrace our roots and move enthusiastically forward with all the Marvel characters you know and love starring in the biggest, boldest, best Marvel stories. All of which kicks off with the giant Marvel Legacy special.”

While emphasizing the storied past of the Marvel Universe, the publisher is also mixing in newer characters as well.

"From there, the Marvel Legacy initiative spreads out across the Marvel Universe, showcasing epic storylines hearkening back to the glory days of Marvel starring Odinson, Squirrel Girl, Spider-Man, the Avengers, America Chavez, Iron Man, Moon Knight, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, Luke Cage, the X-Men, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Deadpool, the Champions, Wolverine, Ironheart, Hulk, The Punisher and so many more!"

The publisher said that Legacy will encompass the entire Marvel Universe, promsing "blockbuster new storylines" and its renumbered titles coming with "a renewed sense of hope, wonder, enjoyment and fun!"

Marvel's Legacy initiative expands beyond just the stories and the issue numbers on the front cover, as the publisher plans to revive ancillary elements from its past such as the Marvel Value Stamp, the fan magazine FOOM, and corner box art on covers.

Marvel said to expect information on the titles and their creative teams for both new and continuing series to be announced in the next few months.

Marvel20Legacy-copy-1.jpg

so yeah, looks like floating heads on the corner of comics are back (yay!), along with proper renumbering, classic characters & no universe-wide events for 18 months. pretty much good news all around there!

*double edit: oh shit, captain marvel's back?

z9g6tvk4n4djfqi9ulhe.png

I don't think this is going to be a thing to stick around. I mean are they really going to bring back Steve Rogers just a scant few weaks after he dies at the end of Secret Empire? And would Marvel really bring back oldschool Captain Marvel considering that the only interesting thing the character did was die in the first place? I don't think the classic characters are sticking around past the end of the crossover. I fucking hate this classic numbering bullshit, it's already hard enough separating runs as it is but at least starting each run over at #1 helps separate them out by dates. But like, Daniel Way's Deadpool run is nigh-impossible to order without help, I wish this legacy numbering shit would die and stay dead.

Edited by Iambaytor

really? i kinda prefer they don't have 16 volumes of venom and just number em - and i know this is being hopeful, but since peter david's still about i was hoping for more genis-vell rather than OG mar-vell but that may be a really outside hope.

i honestly don't know what's going on with steve, but reading both books (well, sam's just tied up) it doesn't feel like spencer's had a great long-term plan past kubrik "reverting" him back to the broken rules of this current universe. honestly, brubaker left him dead as long as he could - bucky had the shield right up to a few months before the movie - so i don't know, but if they're forcing him back & with a plan i'm gonna be okay with it.

for instance: i'm also okay with 616 :wolvy: staying dead, but the current arc of Old Man Logan (the vastly superior book/character) have him time-traveling so outside bets have him just returning with a younger logan's body and i'm seriously okay with that possibility. if Spencer's take is either wiped out or something i don't really care cause it was fun at first but it doesn't feel like there's anything solid there past Secret Empire.

i know i'm being optimistic here, but the lack of new volumes/# 1's where we can + blending some form of status quo with current continuity (nevermind the promise of slowing down big events) sounds alright by me, however rushed.

• 3 months later...

DF2hmmmWAAEUMDg.jpg

ja3Hjqj.png

9ohVA3I.png

cYbRQnv.jpg

d1z4lNC.jpg

Ezph1g2.jpg

Now that Marvel has revealed the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, they've turned to asking questions about what "Legacy" means for the publisher's modern line. In a release, Marvel has posed six questions that will presumably be answered in Marvel Legacy #1 - the answers for some of which may be tied to the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers themselves.

Here are the questions:

Who sent the call from Planet Hulk?

What is hunting for the Infinity Stones?

Where in the world is Captain America?

When will Thor fight the war of realms?

Why does Jean Grey journey to Canada?

How has the body of Iron Man disappeared?

Along with these questions, Marvel released an image of the assembled 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, seen above. Marvel Legacy #1 is due out on shelves September 27.

this looks stupid-fun, down for this

Now that Marvel has revealed the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, they've turned to asking questions about what "Legacy" means for the publisher's modern line. In a release, Marvel has posed six questions that will presumably be answered in Marvel Legacy #1 - the answers for some of which may be tied to the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers themselves.

Here are the questions:

Who sent the call from Planet Hulk?

What is hunting for the Infinity Stones?

Where in the world is Captain America?

When will Thor fight the war of realms?

Why does Jean Grey journey to Canada?

How has the body of Iron Man disappeared?

Along with these questions, Marvel released an image of the assembled 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, seen above. Marvel Legacy #1 is due out on shelves September 27.