Hondo's Bar

Terminator 6

The NZA

Terminator 6: Tim Miller (Deadpool) is Officially Directing

'Thanks to a social media post from Skydance, shared by Skynet’s Army, it has finally been confirmed that Miller will indeed direct the next Terminator film. The confirmation comes courtesy of an invite to a special 3D screening of T2 that will feature a conversation with Cameron and Miller before the movie starts. Here is a brief description of what to expect:

Join filmmakers James Cameron and Tim Miller on the Paramount Lot for an exclusive conservation with The Hollywood Reporter’s Matt Belloni about their collaboration on the upcoming Terminator'.

i was gonna say just forget everything after T2 and give us that big future war, but i keep reading that T2 may have prevented it in the timeline? not sure how

The nature of the Terminator mythology is that each time Skynet and the resistance send someone back it starts a whole new timeline bur something always happens to cause Judgement Day. Seemingly the machine uprising is inevitable and so is the triumph of humanity over the machines and so Skynet and the Conners are caught in a neverending spiral of war and time travel. As such, John Conner and the machine war are both boring as ship, the smart thing to do would be to tell smaller stories in the context of this rather than remixing the elements of the first movie as we have been doing ad nauseum.

Whenever we come to a resolution I send myself back in time to start it over again.

biggrin.png

I cracked up at this one.

I thought that the Sarah Connor Chronicles was pretty awesome on Fox. I'm still upset that they cancelled that one and I'm rarely upset at cancelled shows.

• 5 months later...

Terminator 6 starts filming in June, according to Arnold

“We are starting to shoot Terminator 6 in June to the middle of October, so I am in that,” Schwarzenegger tells TheArnoldFans in a new interview. “I am looking forward to coming back as the T-800 model. It’s gonna be great with Tim Miller as the director and Jim Cameron is kind of supervising the whole thing.”

As Schwarzenegger notes, Deadpool‘s Tim Miller is slated to direct the film, which is both set to start a new trilogy of films and also work as a direct sequel to Terminator 2: Judgment Day, ignoring Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Terminator: Salvation, and Terminator Genisys. Linda Hamilton will also return to the franchise as a “seasoned warrior” version of Sarah Connor. The new Terminator movie is set to arrive in theaters on July 26, 2019.

• Like 1

I know Avatar wasn't all it coulda been (and basically a rip), but saying Cameron wasn't a "visionary genius" during that is pretty irresponsible. Every single blockbuster since then has been influenced by it. Hell, you can even say the same thing about Titanic! Cameron is still one hell of a filmmaker and if he's returning to a franchise he created, I'm kinda on board.

Avatar is a technical and visual marvel and has influenced the way movies are shot and how they look but neither of those things are what's wrong with The Terminator.  He's not directing anyway, he's producing which is what he's doing on that Battle Angel Alita movie that looks so awful.  Avatar from a story standpoint was nothing more than ideas stolen from other places and combined in an unsatisfying way, doesn't inspire a lot of hope.

Edited by Iambaytor

I think that the Terminator will actually be important to Cameron. It has been a long time since he has been allowed to work on a Terminator story.

I was listening to a woman who worked with Cameron for sometime (I can't remember her name, but she was very close to JC). She said that the Terminator was based on a really strong dream that Cameron had. I tend to take the Alan Moore/Stephen King view of ideas (one sort of pioneered by Plato). People don't control ideas. Ideas control people.  I think the Terminator was the strongest idea that Cameron ever had. I think that the idea has a lot more to say now that Cameron is back to tell it's story.

But he admitted ages ago that he just took the idea from some Harlan Ellison stories, which was the basis for tje lawsuit that Ellison won.  Also, Avatar and Titanic were two of Cameron's biggest passion proects and they're easily his two worst scripts (and I'm counting Piranha 2, First Blood Part 2, and that unfilled Spider-man movie.)  Maybe it'll be a really good looking Terminator movie but I've seen no evidence in a few decades that James Cameron the writer still has that magic.

The fact that Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger are back - is fucking amazingly awesome.

James Cameron back in any 'production' / 'active input' capacity is also amazingly awesome.

"A direct sequel to Genisys...and it's intended to launch a new Terminator Trilogy."

I've heard the latter a few times already, but w/ all these dudes involved - I'd absolutely check it out.  Actually, looking forward to it!

1436118757-terminator-time-travel-theori

• Like 1

I'm assuming the dying of breast cancer is a reference to the 'Sarah Conner Chronicles'...?  I've never seen that.  I think that was...an alternate / what-if kinda thing?  I've never seen an episode.

In the movie series proper - she died of leukemia shortly after T2.  She's dead by T3.

In T3, John and 'Arnold' visit her grave - and it turns out to be a weapons cache.  She had been cremated and filled her 'tomb' w/ supplies...just in case 'Judgement Day' wasn't averted...aaand it wasn't.

"Judgement Day...is inevitable."

terminator-2.jpg

If this is going to be directly following Genisys - and treating it as canon...T6 is taking place in an all-new timeline.

This is going to be an older 'new Sarah Conner'...the one raised to be a bad-ass since youth by Arnie.

1323258433973850510.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gabriel Luna is your new Terminator

EXCLUSIVE: The search for a new Terminator to take over the first sanctioned Jim Cameron reboot since the original, is over. Director Tim Miller and producer Cameron have tapped Gabriel Luna for the role. Luna is best known for starring as Robbie Reyes/Ghost Rider on the ABC action superhero series Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, as well as the El Rey Network drama series Matador. On the film side, he starred in the films Freeheld and Transpecos.

agents-of-shield3srru.jpg

really dug his ghost rider, could be cool 

• 3 months later...

I'm really psyched for this film. I saw Terminator 2  in the theater and it is one of my favorite films.

On 3/7/2018 at 12:52 PM, Little Nemo McFly said:

I'm assuming the dying of breast cancer is a reference to the 'Sarah Conner Chronicles'...?  I've never seen that.  I think that was...an alternate / what-if kinda thing?  I've never seen an episode.

The Sarah Conner Chronicles is excellent. I was distraught for months after they cancelled it. I love the first two Terminators films and that show. I hate everything else that the franchise has produced, but I absolutely love that show. I might even binge watch it now and see if it holds up since I haven't watched it in years!

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2018 at 7:27 PM, Drifter said:

I wonder what the new gimmick will be for the new model. I think they've gone through as many technical iterations as there can be.

I would like a straight up 'robot'...and they drop the obligatory gimmick altogether.

It'd be cool - if we knew straight-up...right from the get-go, that this thing can be killed...just like Arnie.  But just like Arnie - goooood fuckin' luck trying to beat the shit outta him!

I'd like it to be like the first movie - the villain retreats, heals...strategizes...stocks up.

I think if you give him some outright, (at this point) obligatory super-power thingie (fire) - it's just an eye-rolling matter of time before they introduce the obvious kryptonite (water) and we're all just waiting for the fire-monster to fall into the water-trap.

I think it's a bit more engaging if it's like, 'Dammit!  Fucking die already!' after suffering insane amounts of damage.  Arnie survives all kinds of gimmicks - just being a 'robot' - be kinda cool to see an equally murderous machine (maybe w/ 'stronger metal and cpu power'), w/ the same kind of...incredible 'will to survive' and Terminate.  It's more exciting when the villain is simply just 'that bad-ass'...

giphy.gif

Not too gripping when you're just waiting for him to inevitably walk over a puddle...the only thing that can kill it...but, it'll prolly be just that.  It's gotta be bigger and louder.  A simple killer robot as a villain is kinda lame for an epic blockbuster.

T6's gimmick is that he's psychic, poops nuclear bombs...and has the ability to instantly post on social media.

giphy.gif

On 8/1/2018 at 5:45 PM, The NZA said:

terminator-crop.jpg

^ I'm guessing a 'John' isn't born in this timeline...it's a 'Jane'.  Pre-tty fuckin' keeew.  If that's wutz goin' on - I love it.  Lotta scars(?) there...

• Like 1