Hondo's Bar

Colin Kaepernick & NFL protest

The NZA

figured it was long overdue for its own thread - for starters:

Trump Voters now view NFL less favorably than Clinton voters do Fox News (NYT)

About three weeks ago — before President Trump said that N.F.L. owners should fire players who kneel during the national anthem — Democrats and Republicans held relatively similar views about the league. About 60 percent said they viewed it favorably, while about 20 percent said they viewed it unfavorably, according to daily online surveys conducted by Morning Consult, a polling, media and technology company.

Since Mr. Trump’s remarks, though, many of his supporters have changed their attitudes.

Trump voters are now much more likely to say that they view the N.F.L. negatively, reflecting a sharp change around Sept. 23, when Mr. Trump criticized the players at a speech in Alabama. The views of Hillary Clinton voters have not changed appreciably over the last few weeks.

Both Democrats and Republicans were more likely to report seeing negative news about the N.F.L. around the time of Mr. Trump’s remarks in Alabama and the protests that followed. But Trump voters were much more likely to do so, while respondents who said they voted for Mrs. Clinton were more mixed in the coverage they reported seeing.

One possibility is that the two groups are not reading the same kinds of articles, avoiding those they disagree with. Another is that people are simply taking different attitudes away from the same articles, tweets and Facebook posts.

The shifts are not limited to professional football. After LeBron James tweeted his support for Stephen Curry, whose invitation to the White House was rescinded by Mr. Trump (after Mr. Curry indicated he wouldn’t attend), the share of Trump voters who said they held very unfavorable views of Mr. James more than doubled, to 23 percent from 11 percent. For Clinton voters, the opposite was true: The event made them like Mr. James more.

DL4FkkrVwAA5MuE.jpg

Goddell very clearly wants this behind them, and shirtbird Jerry Jones looks to be faciliting that as best he can (our Dolphins are apparently forbidden to protest as well?), the league is doing anything it can to recoup on falling #'s/viewership. meanwhile, Mike Ditka is an idiot.

finally, after meetings this week about the matter:

NFL: No mandate for players to stand during national anthem

The saying "bad press is still good press" apparently doesn't work in this case that, even I, have given football a break (not my Dolphins tho. I still watch my Dolphins).

Football has been declining for a while now and this shit ain't helpin, but it's BEEN about time for some new management. Asshats like Jerry Jones and them will never go away, but Goddell needs to be canned and this is the perfect time. Let's get someone in there with the players welfare on their mind and not the owners (I know Obama is available). And by "welfare," I mean everything from safety to having their backs during political protests. And how about not punishing good, clean players by sullying the league with tons of dirty, problematic players (you kill a dog? Out! You beat your wife? OUT! You rape a woman? Out, out, OUT!).

Sure, you'll still have dumbfuck Trump supporters leaving your product in droves, but won't you feel better about yourselves? Heh :/

• 9 months later...
On 10/11/2017 at 4:58 PM, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

even I, have given football a break (not my Dolphins tho. I still watch my Dolphins)

Well, looks like it's fuck the Fins too:

Report: Dolphins national anthem punishment includes suspensions

Miami Dolphins players who protest on the field during the national anthem could be suspended for up to four games under a team policy issued this week.

The "Proper Anthem Conduct" section is just one sentence in a nine-page discipline document provided to The Associated Press by a person familiar with the policy who insisted on anonymity because the document is not public. It classifies anthem protests under a large list of "conduct detrimental to the club," all of which could lead to a paid or unpaid suspension, a fine or both.

NFL Suspends Policy punishing anthem protests

The NFL and NFLPA, through recent discussions, have been working on a resolution to the anthem issue. In order to allow this constructive dialogue to continue, we have come to a standstill agreement on the NFLPA’s grievance and on the NFL’s anthem policy. No new rules relating to the anthem will be issued or enforced for the next several weeks while these confidential discussions are ongoing.

The NFL and NFLPA reflect the great values of America, which are repeatedly demonstrated by the many players doing extraordinary work in communities across our country to promote equality, fairness and justice.

Our shared focus will remain on finding a solution to the anthem issue through mutual, good faith The NFL and NFLPA, through recent discussions, have been working on a resolution to the anthem issue. In order to allow this constructive dialogue to continue, we have come to a standstill agreement on the NFLPA’s grievance and on the NFL’s anthem policy. No new rules relating to the anthem will be issued or enforced for the next several weeks while these confidential discussions are ongoing.

The NFL and NFLPA reflect the great values of America, which are repeatedly demonstrated by the many players doing extraordinary work in communities across our country to promote equality, fairness and justice.

Our shared focus will remain on finding a solution to the anthem issue through mutual, good faith commitments, outside of litigation.commitments, outside of litigation.

good for now, i guess - but man, the dolphins aren't coming out of this looking good by forcing the issue 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Have you seen these conservative idiots burning or cutting Nike logos out of their clothes? Imagine being so racist (and so ignorant) that you destroy clothing you've already paid for to make a point that has NOTHING TO DO WITH KAEPERNICK'S ACTUAL PROTEST. 

Definitely throwing all my money at Nike for the foreseeable future. Thankfully their stuff is top notch! I've tried other brands of running shoes and workout apparel and always regret it. They don't compare.

1 hour ago, Donatella said:

Have you seen these conservative idiots burning or cutting Nike logos out of their clothes? Imagine being so racist (and so ignorant) that you destroy clothing you've already paid for to make a point that has NOTHING TO DO WITH KAEPERNICK'S ACTUAL PROTEST. 

Definitely throwing all my money at Nike for the foreseeable future. Thankfully their stuff is top notch! I've tried other brands of running shoes and workout apparel and always regret it. They don't compare.

Stupid people will always find a way to up the ante of stupid.

On the second point, I've never found much nike apparel I've enjoyed, but I'll be definitely putting more of an effort into doing so now. (ftr, I love my adidas and questionable background puma)

I've never seen so much fucking butthurt. During this whole saga, this is probably as dumb as I've seen the right be. And now conservatives are supposed to be humanitarians talking about sweatshops and shit. Fuck off with that hypocritical crap. Can't be for cutting up and burning your clothes when you could be sending off to people in need instead. 

yeah, i keep seeing that concern trolling shit too - the weirder ones for me are some folks citing a specific vet that kapernick literally went to with this & helped on the idea, an d others citing pat tillman, a leftist killed by friendly fire (who by all accounts of those who knew him, would be in full support as well) 

trump used this issue to rile his base & distract from scandals, and the NFL acts like they begrudgingly went along but this must've been the perfect scapegoat for lower ratings.  

wish i could find that one tweet: "years from now, white folks will be on kaepernick avenue and swear they supported him" 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I'm torn on the topic. His kneeling doesn't bother me. But neither does people upset about his kneeling. I really think people need to communicate more rather than immediately hating each other before understanding the reason behind acts of defiance or unrest. 

What each side sees is different than what is actually happening. Then the media Stokes the fire and the ignorant minority (and most visible) on each side go crazy. 

One side sees a man openly being unpatriotic and slapping every veteran, p.o.w., or someone who gave their life for The US in the face. The other side sees a bunch of backwoods racist who are opposed to progress. Is this really what's going on? 

It's a cycle of conformation bias. If you sorround yourself with news outlets that tell you what you want to hear or people who are consistently agreeing with the same opinions then truth will never be discussed. 

I can tell you as an American that I know people on both sides. The media does not speak for the majority. I know conservatives that think what he did was patriotic. I know Liberals that understand why someone would be upset to see someone kneel. There's also people who just want to watch football and not politics. It's a time for them to forget about their worries and stresses of the world. 

We can't have a constructive discussion as long as the media is driven by ratings and money rather than truth and integrity. The real enemies are the Fox News' and MSNBCs of the world. Stoking outrage instead of understanding while lining their wallets  and capitalizing on ignorance. Where's Jerusalem when you need him?

Also I don't watch football because my team is the Panthers. So like, what's the point. We will experience our enevitable heat death before they win a super bowl.