Hondo's Bar

Zwan

Reverend Jax

B00007KJQ7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Zwan's debut album, Mary Star of the Sea, will be realesed in 2 days. Zwan is Billy Corgan(of Smashing Pumpkins glory)'s new band, with Slint/Tortoise guitarist Dave Pajo, Skunk guitarist Matt Sweeney, A Perfect Circle bassist Paz Lenchantin, and fellow Pumpkin Jimmy Chamberlain on drums. This will be Billy Corgans first album in about three years since Machina and the break up of the pumpkins. Early reviews sound like this is in a very pumpkins style. The first single, "Honestly" doesn't sound like it's very pumpkinsesque, even with Corgan's unmistakeable voice. I'm downloading what should be album now, so a review is on it's way.

Junker, if you didn't know about this, then I am your new god!

Oooooo, I knew all right. I'm not gonna bother DLing it. Somehow they've been great about keeping the album off the internet I mean, i'm sure its out there by now, but most shit is out in it's entirety like a month before it's released. They have lots of lower quiality, but pretty long mp3's on their website though. Makes me think that if a band embraces the MP3 online thing, there'll be a lot less piracy. Of the stuff on their site, it's all very cool, especially the first song on the cd "lyric." And I've also DL'd like all of their live stuff. And that shit is just great, looking at the track listing, a bunch of the live ones I've heard are there, but a lot of it is brand new, or has different names. I think honestly is a damned good song too, good lyrics, catchy, textured. As far as I can tell they already have a good, distinctive sound, very cool three guitar choir hting they've got going on.

Oh hey, is that that "rat in a cage" guy?

Yeah, but the Pumpkins stuff that Junker played was pretty varied, i wouldnt say "honestly" sounds like somethin they wouldntve put out there, ya know? Anyway that's the extent ive heard of it too so ill look back here for a review.

Heh, funny, cause I'd say that if it were similar to any of the pumpkins stuff it'd be similar to a few songs off of machina and Machina II (free album they put out online after machina to piss off record label.) A few people aree saying that they sound like "Gish" but I dissagree completely. The band definately does have their own sound though. The guitar thing they have going on really makes em sound unique, I think. So I guess I agree with IC in that I wouldn't have been knocked off my feet if the pumpkins put out stuff that sounds like this, but Zwan definately has their own sound.

I looooooove this cd so far. It's so... fun. It's like, great, catchy, poppy stuff with amazing talent behind it. I defy you to listen to "Ride a black swan" and tell me that Jimmy Chamberlain isn't one of the best drummers alive. The guitar solos are just nuts. And I don't know, it just sounds very original. The melodies just sound like nothing I've heard before, and they make it seem easy. Really tight, fun songs, except for maybe the epic 15 minute Jesus I/Mary of the sea, but it's all good stuff. More from me when I listen to it more.

No, I'm sort of annoyed that I didn't get the bonus dvd, I comepltely forgot about it when I rushed out to buy. I'm gonna try and return the one I got (maybe mess the cd case a bit, tell em it came that way, done it before) and grab the one with the dvd. And I can see people not liking Zwan because they're not angst-ridden like every other band on the planet, but I think it's refreshing as hell for a good band to be genuinely happy.

Yeah, especially when you know alot fo these bands make millions and are still so angry.

Papa Roach songwriter wrting lyrics to a new song: "I fucking hate how my butler brought me the baluga cavier when I specifically asked him for..." no wait, thats no good. Hmm, let's see. "My fucking roles royce is in the shop, had to take the bently for a drive instead, fucking why does everythign have to happen to me?" Yeah, that sounds better.

Yeah, in a world of "Broken home, all alone" bands, it's refreshing to see somebody that has song titles like "Baby lets rock" and "Yeah!". Even the good bands out there are usually either depressing and angry, or the ones that write more clever lyrics still have a thick sense of irony in there. Anyways, I have the DVD now, and it's great. Lots more songs. Of course, before releaseing this cd they had played about 60 different original songs live, so this still isn't even close to everything that Zwan is. They'll be a folk rock band at one show and be arena metal the next week. I've heard lots of it, and I hope that they just start pumping cds out cause they have lots of great material that belongs on cd. The DVD has some studio versions of new songs, played over the band running around in the studio or something, and some live stuff that's all great. Good interviews too, they let you know how Zwan started out for those who dont know, and the rest is just damned funny (Paz refuses to speak English "Quiero decirlo en Ingles.... pero me sale en Castellano!") Only problem I have is the chapter seperations. It's like 7 chapters, and each chapter has like, a song, then an interview, then another song, then another interview, so you cant just skip to any song or interview bit you want, kindova pain. Great addition to the cd though, and only a few bucks more, it's well worth hunting down, don't settle for just the cd.

The Pumpkins always were a band that would record billions of b-sides that only yeilded in on album worth of a-sides. I mean, they were some great b-sides, but they recorded so much and released such a small percentage of it. Sounds liek Zwan is doing the same thing. I'm gonna go ahead and see if the special edition is at bestbuy, and if not, I'll hunt it down online.

There seems to be this sense in the rock industry that if you're not in a state of constant torment, you're not a real artist. There's alot to be said about torment. I'm a big fan of torment. But you have to write good honest songs, angst-ridden or not.

• 1 month later...

the answer to my own damn question (just in case someone else would like to know:)

It was Siamese Dream that launched the band to centre stage with its twisted metaphors and skewed rhythms. A Top 10 success in the US Billboard charts, it saw them joined by mellotron, cello and violin accompaniment to give the sound extra depth. However, these remained secondary to the pop hooks and rock atmospherics that have defined the band's sound. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness was a bold project (the double CD contained 28 songs), yet the band managed to pull it off. With swirling strings, angst-ridden vocals and some beautifully spiteful guitar the album was a major achievement artistically and commercially.

Their touring keyboard player, Jonathan Melvoin (b. 6 December 1961, Los Angeles, California, USA, d. 12 July 1996; ex-Dickies) died of a heroin overdose in July 1996. At the same time the band sacked their drummer Chamberlain after his continuing drug abuse. His replacement was Matt Walker (ex-Filter), but he departed in late 1997 to form his own band. During frenetic preparations for the new Smashing Pumpkins album, Iha found time to release a surprisingly mellow solo set. Adore debuted at number 2 on the US Billboard album chart in June 1998. Wretzky left the band during recording sessions for the follow-up, and was replaced by Melissa Auf Der Maur (bass, ex-Hole). MACHINA/The Machines Of God was a major disappointment and, after the initial sales burst, a commercial failure. It came as no surprise that Corgan announced that the band would split-up after their farewell tour. In one final defiant act, he made the excellent MACHINA II/The Friends And Enemies Of Modern Music available as an MP3 download only. Corgan debuted with his new band Zwan in late 2002.

For those who didn't like the later Pumpkins stuff, listen to their final song "Untitled." It's their we-were-still-capable-of-recording-those-songs-that-everybody-loved-but we-didn't-because-we-didn't-want-to-not-cause-we-couldn't-so-there-*raspberry*-by-the-way-fare-well-it's-been-fun song.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw zwan live and holy fucking shit they are amazing! Corgan goes as nuts in Zwan as he did in the Pumpkins. They started off playing a few songs straight, like they are on the album, then they did a cool extended version of "honestly" and they played "Dont let me down" off the dvd and then they went into the absolute highlight of the night, and of of the best performances I've ever laid ears upon, "Jesus, I". This song was fuckin nuts. They started off slow, like on the cd, then Paz and Matt Sweeney (Bassist and guitarist) dont just sing back up, they harmanize, so it's funny, and it also just sounds great. The song really starts off, and they jam pretty well, and then they get past playing the cd and Billy starts going nuts. Holy fuck that man is insane. He really is one of the best guitarists alive. After he loses it for a while, they seguey into "God's gonna set this world on fire"... the funnest, coolest live song on earth. God, I wish I could describe how cool that fucking song was. Altogether the medley lasted like 20 minutes and just left everyone in the audience creaming their pants. And Jimmy Chamberlain is the best drummer in the fuckin world, than man has a third arm that he aint showing us. Other highlights were Mary star of the sea (hell, any sone where Billy solos for 10 minute), Broken Heart (paz with a violin is too cool), and the second encore. The second encore was just unreal. They come out again, and Billy brings out a small, old, bald guy with a leather trenchcoat on. He introduces him as "My hero, the guitar god, my dad"!!!! Only time I heard of billy's dad coming out was to help with the last song of the pumpkin's last show. So his dad comes out, straps on a guitar, and start's singing and playing a cover of "I've got a real bad feeling my baby dont love me anymore", an old classic rock song. This guy was the epitome of cool, and he could really play too. He played for 10 minutes or so, then Billy started to solo, then they stood in frotn of eachother and traded solos.... one of the coolest moments on earth, they finished off just both going crazy on their own. That was really fuckin amazing, and lucky as hell that his dad came out here in miami.

So, I was not dissapointed AT ALL by Zwan. They put on one of the best shows I've ever seen, and that includes on video.

Well, I've never seen the pumpkins live myself (goddamit!) but compared to the insane amount of recoded live material I have, they ain't too far off. Best thing about the pumpkins live is that they'd turn songs like Silverfuck into 20 minute long solos, and Zwan did that here. So, I guess pumpkins were better when it came to each individual song, since they'd been around longer, most of their songs sounded different live, while a bunch of zwan's songs sounded just like the cd, but Zwan was right up there with em as far as the highlights are concerned.

• 3 years later...