Hondo's Bar

The Haunting of Hill House

The NZA

GQ said:

Here's a fact: There has never been a great horror TV series. Try to think of one. Black Mirror? That's a sci-fi anthology and you know it. Channel Zero? I said great. American Horror Story? How dare you waste my time like this.

Here's another fact: Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House is the first great horror TV show ever. The series, based on Shirley Jackson's novel of the same name, pulls no punches when it comes to not just scares, but also the brutality it puts its characters through, physically and emotionally. It's not for the faint of heart, and it's fucking fantastic.

^ one of several praising reviews. it starts today on netflix - get in here @Donatella

That reviewer can fuck right off there have been innumerable great horror series including the ones they discounted (not American Horror Story, though)

The AV Club gave it a pretty great score and said it did fucked up family drama bettet than Hereditary.  Also it's being done by Mike Flannigan, who directed Hush and Gerald's Game which are both great.

i mean...its GQ. he's right that channel zero and AHS aren't great, black mirror is amazing but arguably more sci fi than horror? i guess it depends on if you'd put twilight zone as horror 

(i clearly grabbed the most hyperbolic review but welcome great tv horror recommendations)

7 hours ago, The NZA said:

i mean...its GQ. he's right that channel zero and AHS aren't great, black mirror is amazing but arguably more sci fi than horror? i guess it depends on if you'd put twilight zone as horror 

(i clearly grabbed the most hyperbolic review but welcome great tv horror recommendations)

They're all horror.  Similarly there is Penny Dreadful, The Terror, Hannibal, The Exorcist, Bates Motel, Kolchak the Night Stalker, Stranger Things, Tales From the Crypt, Twin Peaks, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Masters of Horror, Outcast, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Walking Dead, Ash vs. The Evil Dead,  The Outer Limits (the actual science fiction version of The Twilight Zone, still horror), Dead Set, The X-Files, even Game of Thrones has a serious horror bent.  We're in the golden age of horror TV, that reviewer is a bonehead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

HOLY SHIT. We just watched the first episode and that’s not just the best horror TV show I’ve seen in I-don’t-even-know-how-long, but it beats out any movie I’ve seen recently as well. It was tense, creepy, often straight up terrifying. Very well written and the cast is fantastic. Not one second was boring. 

I hope rest of the season is as good as this first episode! I’m super hyped for this!

Edited by Donatella
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Axels said:

Not digging the kid actors so far. Other than that I'm liking it. I hope this isn't another Castle Rock. 

I think the older kid actors are pretty great! The younger ones need some practice, though. Hoping with good direction, they get better as it progresses. They're not bad enough to be distracting, just noticeably less talented. We've really been spoiled by It and Stranger Things. The bar for child actors is crazy high!

• Upvote 1

Keep going! I felt the same, but when it all starts crisscrossing and stuff it gets so good.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:17 AM, Bindusara said:

about 3 eps in so far. I'm loving every minute of it...finding the hidden ghosts is fun too

I was confused by the hidden ghosts bit, but paying closer attention to certain scenes, it's chilling what you end up seeing!

On 10/19/2018 at 2:18 AM, Axels said:

Finished... I don't know how to feel about that ending. 

so yeah, it's a bit of a tonal shift, no?

i dug how the red room was something for everyone (and its slow reveal), the groundskeepers playing hush-hush about their recently deceased daughter to keep the house about felt weird/convenient but i looked past it.  

there were a lot of Shining vibes from when we met the flapper lady onward, and it got super mushy by the end but i'm not mad at it.  literally no idea how luke survived that, but i'm glad he did - still, bringing it all down to protecting your kids felt more sentimental than i imagined

• Like 1

Exactly, yeah it felt out of place. I did like the end, and the actual outcome was well deservedand satisfying. Just the execution was hokey.

So is a sequel realistic? Concerning previous occupents maybe? Best left untouched to avoid trashing it? I want more ghosty stuff like this either way, with creepy background ghosts you have to do a double take for and great ghost designs. 

The Floater!