Hondo's Bar

The Oscars 2003

Well, the oscar nominations have been out, just thought I'd put em all up, see what you all think. Pretty much what I expected, doesn't mean I agree with a lot of it though...

Best Picture:

"Chicago,"

"Gangs of New York,"

"The Hours,"

"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,"

"The Pianist."

Actor:

Adrien Brody, "The Pianist";

Nicolas Cage, "Adaptation";

Michael Caine, "The Quiet American";

Daniel Day-Lewis, "Gangs of New York";

Jack Nicholson, "About Schmidt."

Actress:

Salma Hayek, "Frida";

Nicole Kidman, "The Hours";

Diane Lane, "Unfaithful";

Julianne Moore, "Far from Heaven";

Renee Zellweger, "Chicago."

Supporting Actor:

Chris Cooper, "Adaptation";

Ed Harris, "The Hours";

Paul Newman, "Road to Perdition";

John C. Reilly, "Chicago";

Christopher Walken, "Catch Me If You Can."

Supporting Actress:

Kathy Bates, "About Schmidt";

Julianne Moore, "The Hours";

Queen Latifah, "Chicago";

Meryl Streep, "Adaptation";

Catherine Zeta-Jones, "Chicago."

Director:

Rob Marshall, "Chicago";

Martin Scorsese, "Gangs of New York";

Stephen Daldry, "The Hours";

Roman Polanski, "The Pianist";

Pedro Almodovar , "Talk to Her."

Adapted Screenplay:

Peter Hedges and Chris Weitz and Paul Weitz, "About a Boy";

Charlie Kaufman and Donald Kaufman, "Adaptation";

Bill Condon, "Chicago";

David Hare, "The Hours";

Ronald Harwood, "The Pianist."

Original Screenplay:

Todd Haynes, "Far From Heaven";

Jay Cocks and Steve Zaillian and Kenneth Lonergan, "Gangs of New York";

Nia Vardalos, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding";

Pedro Almodovar, "Talk to Her";

Carlos Cuaron and Alfonso Cuaron, "Y Tu Mama Tambien."

Animated feature film:

"Ice Age";

"Lilo & Stitch";

"Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron";

"Spirited Away";

"Treasure Planet."

Foreign Film: "El Crimen del Padre Amaro," Mexico; "Hero," People's Republic of China; "The Man Without a Past," Finland; "Nowhere in Africa," Germany; "Zus & Zo," The Netherlands.

Art Direction: "Chicago," "Frida," "Gangs of New York," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Road to Perdition."

Cinematography: "Chicago," "Far From Heaven," "Gangs of New York," "The Pianist," "Road to Perdition."

Sound: "Chicago," "Gangs of New York," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Road to Perdition," "Spider-Man."

Sound Editing: "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Minority Report," "Road to Perdition."

Original Score: "Catch Me If You Can," John Williams; "Far From Heaven," Elmer Bernstein; "Frida," Elliot Goldenthal; "The Hours," Philip Glass; "Road to Perdition," Thomas Newman.

Original Song: "Burn It Blue" from "Frida," Elliot Goldenthal and Julie Taymor; "Father and Daughter" from "The Wild Thornberrys Movie," Paul Simon; "The Hands That Built America" from "Gangs of New York," Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen; "I Move On" from "Chicago," John Kander and Fred Ebb; "Lose Yourself" from "8 Mile," Eminem, Jeff Bass and Luis Resto.

Costume: "Chicago," "Frida," "Gangs of New York," "The Hours," "The Pianist."

Documentary Feature: "Bowling for Columbine," "Daughter from Danang," "Prisoner of Paradise," "Spellbound," "Winged Migration.''

Documentary (short subject): "The Collector of Bedford Street,'' "Mighty Times: The Legacy of Rosa Parks,'' "Twin Towers,'' "Why Can't We Be a Family Again?''

Film Editing: "Chicago,'' "Gangs of New York,'' "The Hours," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,'' "The Pianist.''

Makeup: "Frida," "The Time Machine."

Animated Short Film: "The Cathedral," "The ChubbChubbs!," "Das Rad," "Mike's New Car," "Mt. Head."

Live Action Short Film: "Fait D'Hiver," "I'll Wait for the Next One (J'Attendrai Le Suivant)," "Inja (Dog)," "Johnny Flynton," "This Charming Man (Der Er En Yndig Mand)."

Visual Effects: "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Spider-Man," "Star Wars: Episode II Ñ Attack of the Clones."

Academy Award winner previously announced this year: Honorary Award (Oscar statuette): Peter O'Toole.

and now some of my thoughts, for now I'll just talk abotu the nominations, thoughts on who should win later.

Ok, first of all, if there was any fucking justice on earth, Minority report would be up for best picture, and best director. The fact that it wasn't shows that the Oscars are amazingly biased against science fiction, and forget about all the movies that came out in the beginning of the year. Minority report was my favorite movie of the year, and it's rediculous that it was only nominated for"sound editing".. the one oscar that exists for no fucking reason at all. Another one of my favorite of the year, Punch-Drunk love didnt get one fucking nomination. Too weird for the academy, plus it has adam sandler in it, I guess I see why they shunned it, but it was still one of the best of the year in my opinion, I think they should have thrown it a screenplay bone or something.

I still need to see the hours before I can have much of an opinion on half of these, but this year regardless of the omissions, all of the nominees are great movies cause this was a really good year. If you find youself looking at these and not recognizing 3 out of five of them, GO SEE THEM. They're worth it, Lord of the Ring was not the only fuckin movie to come out this year. The Pianist, Frida, Chicago, Adaptation, About Schmidt, Gangs of New York, Chicago, all great movies. Hell, I dont mind the omissions so much because there are only so many amazing movies you can squeeze into the nominations.

All in all, the acadamy couldnt screw the nominations up much if they wanted too, too many good movies this year.

Right, there' s a lot of movies goin on my Netflix list there (quit your bitching, at least ill actually watch em & add my 2 cents a good 9 months down the road).

Ive wondered before if the academy shuns movies that just barely dont make the previous year's list, but i figure its a safe assumption if there's lasers or somethin theyre not gonna like it.

Still havent caught it but im cheerin on Spirited Away for animated award just cause Mizaki's a genuis who deserves more credit.

Junker, I don't think Minority Report and Punch-Drunk Love's omission have so much to deal with their sci-fi and adam sandler biases as they do with their short attention span. Like 90% of the nominations in the big 6 categories (picture, director, actor/actress, supporting actor/actress) came out in December. A movie has to be fucking INCREDIBLE for the academy to remember it over something fresh and new. Naturally, studios release "oscar" films in December to get the academy's attention, and the huge rush of good films in December make remembering a movie from the summer all the more difficult, making it self-reinforcing.

I'm curious as to see who wins the full length animated catergory. Treasure Planet and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron have an ice cube's chance in hell of winning. Ice Age, Lilo & Stitch, and Spirited Away are the top contenders I imagine. Spirited Away is clearly the best one, but if people in hollywood have a bigger bias than that against sci-fi, anime and animation that isn't comedy might be it. Ice Age was great and was CGI, which hollywood loves, but is almost a year old, and that hurts it. Lilo and Stitch is the funniest, and the top Disney contender, so while I hope Spirited Away gets in, I expect Lilo adn Stitch to win, and I won't be too upset when it happens.

Tonight its the Baftas in London (British Film blah blah....). THe nominations are very similar and many critics say that the winners are a good indication of who the Oscars will go to. If thats true It looks like 'The Hours', 'Chicago' and 'Talk to Me' will sweep the board pretty much.

I enjoyed Minority Report but wasn't so heavily enthralled by it as Junker. My biggest omission would be Donnie Darko which I am obsessed by, but not really Oscar stuff. Same with 'The Eye' (more Asian extreme horror soon to be adapted for Hollywood)for foreign film or something.

I would agree with the short attention span observation, most of the nominated films haven't even been released yet. Still waiting for Adaptation and the Hours.

More for the Baftas instead of the Oscars but I wish some innovative different Brit films would get a look in, like '28 Days Later', instead of bloody inner-city gritty dark dramas about coal-miners. Jeez. :D

Quick update on the Baftas. No suprises apart from Daniel Day Lewis winning which did suprise me. Also, the Pianist won best picture which I thought was cool. Probably too much to hope it'll happen with the Oscars though.

Here's the major awards...

Best Film: The Pianist

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis

Best Actress: Nicole Kidman

Hmm, not bad. I still have to see the hours, but so far I wont really mind if any of the best pic nominees win. Gangs of new york probably wont get it, and thats ok, I dont think it was quite as good as these others, but I thought Chicago and the Pianist were phenominal, so either of them could take it and I wont mind, I'll wait tio judge till I see the hours tho, also a huge contender.

Oh, and Lewis really deserves best actor this year. They'll probably give it to Nicholson, and he gave a great performance, but I think Day-Lewis beat him out.

I find that they only give repeat oscars for best actor/actress on truely stellar preformances. Even if Jack Nicholson did give the best preformance this year (I don't know if he did, I haven't seen About Schmidt), he has the disadvantage of having recieved two or three (can't remember how many just now) already. Tom Hanks won the second Oscar for Forrest Gump after Philadelphia, but I'm willing to bet he wouldn't have won it for Philadelphia if he had won it for Forrest Gump the year before. Just a theory of mine.

Just saw Chicago yesterday. Not as good as Moulin Rogue, but great nonetheless.

Well, I finally saw the hours. Great acting, but it had better not get any other awards or I'll be pissed. I could name half a dozen much better movies this year than the hours... eh well. I guess no I'll just give my opinions nice and clear.

Best Pic: Eh, chicago or the pianist could win it and I'd be happy, I can barely decide... I guess chicago.

Best Director: As great as scorsese was, I give it to the Pianist hands-down. Some amazing images and moments.

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis, coolest performance on earth. Everyone on the list this year rocks though.

Best Actress: Ok, ok, they can give it to Kidman, though Frida, Far from heaven and chicago are better movies, her performance was great.

Supporting actor: Chris Cooper, good job. They'd better not give it to paul newman for being paul newman... all he did in that movie was stand there and look cool with a trenchoat on.

Supporting actress: Zeta Jones, she was much better than Zelwegger in that flick, IMO

Adapted script: Adaptation, hands down

Best original script: Id give it to y tu mama tambien

Best animated: Spirited away had better fucking get this, fuck the academy's bias!

Best cinematography: If road to perdition doesnt get this, it's a sign of the apocalypse.

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks on the awards they care about

I'll tap that.

Here's what I want to win (not what I think will win!)

Best Pic: The Pianist or Gangs of New York. Scorcese is God btw.

Best Director: Scorcese. He is God after all

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis. He gave the best speech at the BAFTAs so he should win just for that accomplishment

Best Actress: Julianna Moore. Haven't seen it but she is very attractive so there you go. :D

Supporting actor: Chris Walken. For being cool

Supporting actress: Kathy Bates. Again, for being cool.

Adapted script: Ummm. Give it to About a Boy, good book.

Best original script: Ummm, y tu mama tambien

Best animated: Spirit: Stallion thing. It's kickass. No seriously :approve:

Best cinematography: Gangs dude. The beginning fight scene was sweeeet.

As you may have guessed some of these are not particularly well-informed, but the fact that half the films haven't even been released this side of the ocean had part to do with that. :angry: Damn it!

• 4 weeks later...

I actually saw Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmeran last summer (I do ALOT of babysitting - kinda fits in with my tough-guy image) and I gotta say it was the most painful hour and a half of my fucking life. The motherfucker's don't even talk for Christ sake.

"So what?", you say.

Well, the motherfucker's don't even talk but nearly everything they do is narrated by BRYAN FUCKING ADAMS. And I don't mean "cool Run to You/Summer of 69" Bryan Adams but "Every thing I do I do it for you-lite love ballad 101" Bryan Adams. If that wins my theory about the acadamy living in Bizarro-world will be conferred.

Everybody looked tanned up there. And yeah, leave it to Michael Moore to say somethin' like that.

Sorry, MLB, no Scorsese wins. In fact, uh...none of your picks were right.

By the way, Adrian Brody is my own personal hero, now. He was so happy about his best actor win that he ran up and kissed Halle Berry full on the lips. Hells yes!

And a couple nice upsets. Spirited Away winning best animated feature. All of us that have seen it know it was the best animated feature (though Lilo & Stitch and Ice Age were great) but the Academy has never been known to bestow such great honors on un-American films. Nice to know they're changing their tune. And what's that? Eminem won best song? Holy shit! I gave up on the Best Song category last year when Moulin Rouge's Come What May wasn't even nominated, but this has renewed my faith that the category still has some life left in it.

Edited by Silent Bob

Hmm, some good upsets, some bad ones. I'm glad polanski won for best director... loved gangs, and scorsese rocks and all, but I think the pianist deserved it. Adrien Brody was a good upset for best actor, and extra points for raping halle berry. Nicole kidman was good in the hours, but she can suck it, it wasn't a lead role, she was in a third of the fucking movie. I'm really glad that Almodovar got the best original screenplay award, that movie was great, and I'm glad it got some recognition. I think adaptation should have gotten the other award tho. Pianist was good but adaptation had one hell of a script. And Micheal Moore's speach lived up to my expectations, heheh, fictitious times we live in...

Didnt see Pianist, dont give a shit bout Chicago, so highlights of what i caught:

-Woo hoo! Spirited Away gets the credit it deserves! Dont get me wrong, still aint seen it but im sure Lilo & Stich was fun, but cmon, its about time Miyazaki got more credit, and this was the one to do it with...Princess Mononoke was really good but this one was better. Im very happy it got what it deserved. :D

-Eminem thing was cool, didnt even know that was a catergory.

-Moore...man whether you agree with what he had to say or not, he's not your usual uneducated entertainer, the man's got a right to his opinion (granted, folks have a right to boo). But im glad he got up & said what he wanted to say, even if that shit wasnt popular. Do yo thang, man.

PS you know, fat or not queen latifah gots big hooters

PPS maaaan...if i was a pro actor and you made me give an award with fucking mickey mouse, id be pissed.

Since it hasn't been posted:

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Adrien Brody

THE PIANIST

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Chris Cooper

ADAPTATION

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Nicole Kidman

THE HOURS

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Catherine Zeta-Jones

CHICAGO

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

SPIRITED AWAY

Hayao Miyazaki

ART DIRECTION

CHICAGO

John Myhre (Art Direction); Gordon Sim (Set Decoration)

CINEMATOGRAPHY

ROAD TO PERDITION

Conrad L. Hall

COSTUME DESIGN

CHICAGO

Colleen Atwood

DIRECTING

THE PIANIST

Roman Polanski

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE

Michael Moore and Michael Donovan

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

TWIN TOWERS

Bill Guttentag and Robert David Port

FILM EDITING

CHICAGO

Martin Walsh

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

NOWHERE IN AFRICA

Germany

Directed by Caroline Link

MAKEUP

FRIDA

John Jackson and Beatrice De Alba

MUSIC (SCORE)

FRIDA

Elliot Goldenthal

MUSIC (SONG)

8 MILE

'Lose Yourself'

Music by Eminem, Jeff Bass and Luis Resto; Lyric by Eminem

BEST PICTURE

CHICAGO

Martin Richards

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)

THE CHUBBCHUBBS!

Eric Armstrong

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

THIS CHARMING MAN (DER ER EN YNDIG MAND)

Martin Strange-Hansen and Mie Andreasen

SOUND

CHICAGO

Michael Minkler, Dominick Tavella and David Lee

SOUND EDITING

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

Ethan Van der Ryn and Michael Hopkins

VISUAL EFFECTS

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook and Alex Funke

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

THE PIANIST

Screenplay by Ronald Harwood

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

TALK TO HER

Written by Pedro Almodóvar

HONORARY AWARD

HONORARY AWARD

Peter O'Toole

I was on a plane, what did Michael Moore say?

Monday, March 17, 2003

A Letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush on the Eve of War

George W. Bush

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Washington, DC

Dear Governor Bush:

So today is what you call "the moment of truth," the day that "France and the rest of world have to show their cards on the table." I'm glad to hear that this day has finally arrived. Because, I gotta tell ya, having survived 440 days of your lying and conniving, I wasn't sure if I could take much more. So I'm glad to hear that today is Truth Day, 'cause I got a few truths I would like to share with you:

1. There is virtually NO ONE in America (talk radio nutters and Fox News aside) who is gung-ho to go to war. Trust me on this one. Walk out of the White House and on to any street in America and try to find five people who are PASSIONATE about wanting to kill Iraqis. YOU WON'T FIND THEM! Why? 'Cause NO Iraqis have ever come here and killed any of us! No Iraqi has even threatened to do that. You see, this is how we average Americans think: If a certain so-and-so is not perceived as a threat to our lives, then, believe it or not, we don't want to kill him! Funny how that works!

2. The majority of Americans -- the ones who never elected you -- are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction. We know what the real issues are that affect our daily lives -- and none of them begin with I or end in Q. Here's what threatens us: two and a half million jobs lost since you took office, the stock market having become a cruel joke, no one knowing if their retirement funds are going to be there, gas now costs almost two dollars -- the list goes on and on. Bombing Iraq will not make any of this go away. Only you need to go away for things to improve.

3. As Bill Maher said last week, how bad do you have to suck to lose a popularity contest with Saddam Hussein? The whole world is against you, Mr. Bush. Count your fellow Americans among them.

4. The Pope has said this war is wrong, that it is a SIN. The Pope! But even worse, the Dixie Chicks have now come out against you! How bad does it have to get before you realize that you are an army of one on this war? Of course, this is a war you personally won't have to fight. Just like when you went AWOL while the poor were shipped to Vietnam in your place.

5. Of the 535 members of Congress, only ONE (Sen. Johnson of South Dakota) has an enlisted son or daughter in the armed forces! If you really want to stand up for America, please send your twin daughters over to Kuwait right now and let them don their chemical warfare suits. And let's see every member of Congress with a child of military age also sacrifice their kids for this war effort. What's that you say? You don't THINK so? Well, hey, guess what -- we don't think so either!

6. Finally, we love France. Yes, they have pulled some royal screw-ups. Yes, some of them can be pretty damn annoying. But have you forgotten we wouldn't even have this country known as America if it weren't for the French? That it was their help in the Revolutionary War that won it for us? That our greatest thinkers and founding fathers -- Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, etc. -- spent many years in Paris where they refined the concepts that lead to our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution? That it was France who gave us our Statue of Liberty, a Frenchman who built the Chevrolet, and a pair of French brothers who invented the movies? And now they are doing what only a good friend can do -- tell you the truth about yourself, straight, no b.s. Quit pissing on the French and thank them for getting it right for once. You know, you really should have traveled more (like once) before you took over. Your ignorance of the world has not only made you look stupid, it has painted you into a corner you can't get out of.

Well, cheer up -- there IS good news. If you do go through with this war, more than likely it will be over soon because I'm guessing there aren't a lot of Iraqis willing to lay down their lives to protect Saddam Hussein. After you "win" the war, you will enjoy a huge bump in the popularity polls as everyone loves a winner -- and who doesn't like to see a good ass-whoopin' every now and then (especially when it 's some third world ass!). So try your best to ride this victory all the way to next year's election. Of course, that's still a long ways away, so we'll all get to have a good hardy-har-har while we watch the economy sink even further down the toilet!

But, hey, who knows -- maybe you'll find Osama a few days before the election! See, start thinking like THAT! Keep hope alive! Kill Iraqis -- they got our oil!!

Yours,

Michael Moore

From http://www.michaelmoore.com

Michael Moore is the coolest guy ever, he is my hero (along with Bill Watterson).