Hondo's Bar

Harry Potter: Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Overall, how do you feel about the series?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seems 2T, here after refered to as douchebag, believe nobody "really" like Harry Potter, that the series is only good for making fun of, and not discussing. If you liek the books but not the movies, that's a thumbs up vote. If you like the movies but haven't read the books, that's also a thumbs up vote.

Well, how do you know if it's a ripp-off if you haven't seen it? I mean, the concept of a little kid who's a witch and goes to witch school isn't the most brilliant, original idea to have ever been fathomed... I could see how two poeple could come up with the idea independantly of each other. Now if the specifics are the same, like the quiddich game and this and that, then you have a case. I'd say, check one of the movies out, they're entertaining enough to see, thats for sure.

I think it's really good stuff. So far the plotlines themselves have been mediocre, I think, especially the who-dunnit element of it, but it has great characters, and more imagination in a frame than most movies have in their entirety, so it's well worth a watch, not buying em on DVD or anything tho.

Youre right...im going based on image alone, it just looks pretty blatant, but eh, if they really put a new spin on it, then i guess its theirs.

Either way, im not really intersted. Its not because its marketed towards kids - i know numerous adults who read it, and i back Nintendo no matter what - it just doenst spark my interest from what ive seen and read of it.

I love The Onion, tho.

Fantasy_books.gif

Besides, every one knows Potter is just an occult book leading our children into the maws of satan.

Well Junker, you like the set up and character, but fell the plotlines are a bit weak, that's where the next two books really picked up the slack. The next two stories have more dark twists than you can shake a stick at. And Nick, it's worth the two and a half hours of watching the first movie just to find out if you'll like. It catches alot of people by surprise. And the concept isn't ripped off. There's lots of original stuff that goes on in the stories.

Youre right, i should give the first flick a go sometime, i know Yahven has it so i just might. By why is everyone eager to say its not ripped off if you havent read Books of Magic? Its a 5-part mini-series by Neil Gaiman (Sandman) so you cant go wrong, even proving me wrong...

I'd go as far as saying they books, adn even the movie, live up to all the hype, and that's alot of hype to live up to. It's just a series that truely delivers on all the promises it makes, especially (And I've said it a million times, but I can't stress it enough) byt the third book. The series just rises from great to timeless from the second to third book. The third movie will probably make more money than either of the other two movies (The 1st movie is 2nd worldwide, behind Titanic, and the 2nd one is 6th). Harry Potter has got sick hype, but it deserves all it's got.

The third movie will probably make more money than either of the other two movies (The 1st movie is 2nd worldwide, behind Titanic, and the 2nd one is 6th). Harry Potter has got sick hype, but it deserves all it's got.

i give up on people around the world. either they have too much $$ to throw around or they just don't watch other stuff. as i said before in the other harry potter thread, there's just better movies in this genre.... i can't believe it would come close to topple titanic.

as i said before in the other harry potter thread, there's just better movies in this genre....

Uh, what other movies are out right now in that genre? The only thing that comes close to being in the same genre are the Lord of the Rings movies, and I think they're makin' a good deal of money, too, last I checked.