Hondo's Bar

Scud the Disposable Assassin

The NZA

gamepro.gifCan't believe i havent hyped this one before...

Scud: The Disposable Assassin is one of those indie gems that got a lotta hype in the late 90's when it was goin but sadly doesnt get as many mentions as it deserves.

Rob Scrhab, the series creator/artist/writer is really cool...this book seems blatantly written on hallucinogens at times, yet its the only one ive seen where its intro page each issue features voice acting (which star he feels fits the character) and even a suggested soundtrack, by every few pages or so...its innovative, unlinke almost anything out there, and...well, its hard to describe beyond really fucking cool. Quienton Tarentino, John Malkovich, and numerous others are said to have been fans, and got more than a few tributes from Schrab, who's action-packed book refernces them just as much as John Woo & many others.

Basically, Scud is a vending-machine assassian who's supposed to conveniently self-destruct after hitting his target, but luckily realizes this & keeps his target alive via life support, which he pays for with $ coming in from misadventures like teaming up with the local mob to take down an evil reincarnated Ben Franklin and his army of zombie dinosaurs; and that's the first story arc in a nutshell.

The entire 20-issue series (very hard to find, i got lucky on an auction) is now finally out there in trade format, including the special on Drywall, his transdimensional storage device/sidekick. At no point does the seires approach normality, but, perhaps because its on the short side, its a really cool ride the whole way through, and fans of bizarre comedy, insane violence and movie references (cant believe i didnt have Junker read this one) serioulsy shouldnt miss this one.

Scud4.jpg

Fireman Press: Scud's indie label

Preview page, check it out if youre inlclined

Hello, fans! Rob Schrab, here. If you'd like my style, you have two choices. Take my sketches, or sacrifice four years of money, sleep and intimacy. Choose well, or you, too, might cry when you drink!

Hah...i was happy i was able to get Yahven to read it. Yahven, you know, at the site i linked to (its funny shit) i emailed Shrab to ask about issue # 21 a while ago, sad that it was returned to me...

I know its been a while, but any series highlights you can recall? I know you liked the take on heaven & hell, was wonderin what else really did it for you...

• 2 years later...

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

Edited by Iambaytor

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

Edited by Iambaytor

• 7 months later...

warning: big spoilers follow if you aint read the book, and its hard to come across.

Man, its work finidng the TPBs of this series. Genroh, you had any luck?

for those, like myself, wondering what the fuck happend to the ending of this awesome series: ive found what appears to be as close to it as we might ever get.

The creator, Rob Schrab, left at the end to go do a film called Robot Bastard; i dont know if it ever finished or came out, though i imagine that site'd say.

However, on that very forum, he had this to say about the horrible cliffhanger ending:

First of all, I know you guys are all pissed at me. I know, I deserve it. Any of the millions of reasons why I haven't finished the series would never be good enough.

Here are my top ones:

I had a falling out with my partner over rights. It's a bunch of bullshit that I'm pretty sensitive about. That's why I seem to be "annoyed" whenever Scud comes up. The Book was fueled by heartbreak, you've got to understand that. The whole rights thing just was the last straw.

Also, my screen writing career was taking off and quite frankly the Scud numbers weren't high enough to support me. Working on movies was a dream come true-having been more of a film fan than a comic fan I had to go where fate was leading me.

I was really burnt out. You can tell by the last 5 issues I was getting sick of it. I tried to rekindle the past glory days of #1-6 but everybody hated the HORSE series so much I felt like no one cared.

But you have to know I love Scud. Scud is me. Everything that happed in that book mirrored my life. Sussudio, Drywall, the Movies Wars, my relationship with God. That book was my soul. And you guys got to look at my diary every issue. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Scud is still the best thing I've ever done. I'd like to finish it too. I think a TV show would be the best. Scud's a serial, it would work. I'd change a lot about it. It's been five years and I've learned much about story, structure and myth. I'd like to clean it up make it better. But only when I'm ready. I want Scud to be a joyful story-not a hateful, bitter, depression. Scud and I were becoming that.

My first draft of 21 involved Scud destroying the Earth by killing Jeff at the Earth's core. His Self destruct mechanism would start a chain-reaction that split the world in half. "If I die, the world dies with me" I had him saying.

That was my version of a happy ending.

You see, Earth was stuck in the Rapture and the world was becoming more and more fucked up--like a video tape set on pause too long it reached it's limit of insanity and had to be put out of it's misery. I don't want to end the book that way. But I'm always thinking about it.

Anyway, Robot Bastard! is Rob Schrab all grown up. I hope you like it, like what I continue to do after and be inspired to create you own characters and stories.

Take care guys and thanks for writing. I couldn't have gotten this far without you.

Love,

Rob Schrab the Last Dragon

Later, there's alternate endings from fans, at least one of which he seemed to prefer to his own....anyway, just wanted to share that solved mystery.

• 1 year later...

sweet dancin' moses! from the wiki:

On January 3, 2007, Schrab announced on his blog that he plans to finish Issue #21 before ComicCon of this year, at which point he would be releasing an omnibus of Issues #1-21. . Since this announcement, there have been several podcasts posted to Schrab's site giving his state of mind during the process, opportunities he is passing up to finish the book, and a view of the process he uses to create a comic page.

Schrab recently, announced that the Scud finale will be over double the original length. The Book was to be a 32 page conclusion, instead the ending chapter will be over 70 pages long making it Schrab's biggest comic issue.

Rob Schrab told fans that "he just couldn't make this another issue. I want Scud to go out with a bang."

Because of this and with Schrab producing, directing and writing the Sarah Silverman Program for Comedy Central, the Complete Scud Book will not be out by the 2007 ComicCon.

fuck tracking down the expensive trades, now i can get one collection with the whole thing, plus the ending?! next year is gonna own. Panch & a few of you are gonna witness the fitness and fucking love this book.

• 6 months later...
SCUD THE DISPOSABLE ASSASSIN: THE WHOLE SHEBANG! TP

story ROB SCHRAB, DAN HARMON & MONDY CARTER

art & cover ROB SCHRAB

"BEGINNING, MIDDLE AND END�

Scud is programmed to destroy a basement monster but he will self destruct if he does, so the robotic assassin puts the wounded creature on life support and becomes a freelance assassin to pay for the hospital bills.

Collects SCUD # 1-24, plus the super-sweet one-shot DRYWALL: UNZIPPED

JUNE 25 764 PAGES BW $29.99 / $99.99 HC

I'll fucking believe it when it's in my hands.

• 7 years later...

SCUD!!! I loved the Sega Saturn game - sweet graphics. Really cool cutscenes! I was first introduced to Scud in a Wizard interview with Rob Schrab, explaining the concept of his brand-new series. Still got the Wizard issue! I'd love to post the article in the name of posterity - but I'm not really sure how to post pics, yet. SCUD!!! Deserves a shout out! Awesome comic!

haha yes! oh man, a scud fan & maniac mansion? well done here, panch

also while we're on about the saturn game: having finally played it last year, it's not as bad as i was told in the day (my bar for comic book games is sadly low), but man is it kinda tough!

I used to be able to beat that game with my eyes closed! I would run through the game, just so I could watch those cutscenes. I spent so much time on that game. I had known of Scud, through that Wizard article - but never bumped into any issues on the shelves. That game was my 'interactive' intro into that comic universe. Oh, how I wanted more. I just kept replaying it.

I ended up shelling out the money for the hardcover edition just because the softcover was so hard to read. I got lucky because I had earned a $5 gift card from Plink and due to the spotty internet at the airport where I then worked, my continued failed attempts to redeem this gift card caused a glitch that got me like 28 of them so I didn't pay a cent. The hardcover reads like a dream.

Just finished Scud. That took me back. A great mash-up idea: Scud, Invader Zim, the Tick, the Mask and Earthworm Jim.

I luv EWJ.

Fun fact: I had the world's fastest completion time and highest score on the Xbox Live port leaderboard. That is, until a few modders beat it in like, .001 seconds and maxed out their score. I took pictures of my legit 'King of Kong' moment. Held the honor for a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

Just finished Scud. That took me back. A great mash-up idea: Scud, Invader Zim, the Tick, the Mask and Earthworm Jim.

Cartoon characters: Zim, The Tick, Earthworm Jim, Powdered Toast Man, Freakazoid, Frankenstein Jr., Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot, Kim Possible, Sam and Max, Inspector Gadget, The Crimson Chin

Comic characters: The Tick, The Mask, Scud, Badger, The Flaming Carrot, Empowered, Sam and Max, Madman, Atomic Robo, Megaton Man

Webcomic Heroes: Dr. Mcninja, Axe Cop, Spinerette, Merrick (from American Barbarian), Star Grass (from God Hates Astronauts), Commander Badass (from Manly Guys Doing Manly Things), Ratfist, Wonderella

Edited by Iambaytor