Hondo's Bar

American Splendor

Thought Junker/MLB mighta heard of this one....According toComic Book Resources, it's getting some attention..i admittedly know nothing about the comic.

Here's there spot on it:

The movie version of Harvey Pekar's "American Splendor" is gearing up to be this year's "Ghost World." The movie a blend of documentary footage and drama, took the Grand Jury Prize for best drama at this year's Sundance Film Festival. 

The movie, produced by HBO films subsequently was picked up for a theatrical release by Fine Line pictures. Fine Line has now released a set of publicity photos which, C2F/CBR News presents here for your clicking enjoyment.

At this point Fine Line has not announced a release date for "American Splendor."

For pictures, follow the link above.

• 5 months later...

American Splender is about the painful, dull life of Harvey Pekar, author of an underground comic series based on his aforementioned ordinary, shitty life. It's the sort of movie that makes you fell better not because it tells you everything's gonna be alright, but because it lets you know that there's other people out there waiting in line to buy cheap macaroni and cheese, getting dumped, and working a shit job just like you, fighting the good fight. It's funny and sad and very very real. So real that it's partly a documentary, and partly a movie based on the guys life. I mean that Pekar himself narrates much of the movie, and every once in a while, after a scene, we'll see the real Harvey Pekar and some other people from his life give some commentarry. This could have been a horrible idea, interrupting a great movie with real people blabbering about stuff. But it works really well here. This just lets you connect with the characters that much more because you meet the real ones, but it also gives you the kind of storytelling a documentary just can't do. And it satisfies that part of you when you're in a reality based movie that wonders how accurate things are, and what the people are up to nowadays. I also loved that when Pekar goes on the letterman show a few times, they use the real footage without blinking.

And all of this works because of Paul Giammati. This is the first leading role I've seen this guy is and he is fuckin amazing. Absolutely note for note, just perfect. My god, you know a guy is good when he's at the letterman show backstage, then he walks offscreen and they play footage of the real Pekar at the show and it's damned near seamless. I didn't doubt for a second that he WAS Harvey Pekar, and that is one hell of an accomplishment when they show you the real Pekar every other scene. This man needs more lead roles. He was the best thing about this movie. Sure, the movie/documentary thing is innovative, and it's a good story, but this is Giammati's movie.

American Splendor was a very satisfying movie that will have many imitators. I don't know how the new approach they took is gonna work in other stuff, but it's all glued togther here by Giammati's performance. It's a movie about a guy who wasn't content with idealistic superheroes, so he went and did something truethfull and innovative. The movie follows suit, not idealizing him as an everyman rag to riches hero who acheives greatness, instead being unique and pretty damned true itself.

Yet another that ive heard nothin but praise on...on the indy comic scene, i was hopin to catch "Crumb", then this one. 2T, you know anythin about this guy, what trades he has out?

Anyway, ive heard oscar rumors bout it; is that comic hype or you think its valid, Junker?

Well, actually, people have been overhyping this movie quite a bit. It was really damned good but it's nt gonna sweep the oscars or anything. Thought I think Giammati deserves a nomination for best actor for sure. As far as what he has out, according to the book he has the "American Splendor" series, some, if not all of which is in trade, and "Our cancer year" a graphic novel.

• 2 years later...

...so, after Jax's belly-aching about this being such a great graphic novel translation, i finally got around to seeing this one tonight. Man, what a great movie - LL's right, just when you think Giammati or his friend are overacting, you see their real-life counterparts and realize theyre not.

Very well done, painfully human, and inspires me to go read "Our Cancer Year" and watch Crumb sometime soon.

Archived