Hondo's Bar

Boondock Saints

Whatta you think of it?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Umm, yeah, no real "details" to speak of. Production started this late summer. No Dafoe. Other than Dafoe I think they got every one back though. And this comment: That site has the coolest background music of any site I've ever visited. Most background music in sites suck balls and are annoying and generally midis. I always look to see if there's a way to turn it off cause I wanna listen to my own music, not their's but this rocks. Repetitive, sure, but cool as all hell! No word on big hollywood treatment or not yet, but it says 'sequel to one of the biggest cult movies of all-time' or something. That sounds like it'd be very hollywood to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder how they're gonna spin the publicity for a sequel to a film most people have never heard of, let alone seen. Maybe they'll call it just "The Second Coming" without the Boondock II. Think about it though. IF Boondock II is a real big hit, we'll all be able to say 'hey, I knew about the first Boondock Saints way before the second came out.' Sweet!

• 4 months later...

Hey, the website has massive updates (merchandise, its own board, etc) and a new name for the sequel:

Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

Hey Bob, Junker, the rest of you IMDB kids, any word on a release date, trailers etc?

No trailers and no release date yet. I haven't heard anything new about this in months, aside from that title change. Also note that they took "Saints" out of the title. Boondock II? Bleh. Anyway, there are two others cast. Marley Shelton (Pleasantville, Sugar & Spice, Valentine, The Bachelor - the bad movie not the bad tv show) and Clifton Collins Jr (The Rules of Attraction, The Last Castle, Traffic, The Replacement Killers).

2.jpg

Marley Shelton from Valentine

4.jpg

Clifton Collins Jr (looking very Boondock Saint-like) from Traffic

• 6 months later...

Does anyone here dig that flick and if so why? I heard a rake of good things about it but now I've finally got around to seeing it and alls I can say is "What da fug?". It was one of the shonkiest movies I've seen in a long time. And now I hear that they're making a sequel?! What's the love affair with it. Dafoe was pretty entertaining and it was fun to see him hamming it up to the max, but besides him it was pretty shitty.

Flannery and Reedus have some of the worst Oirish accents put to film since Brad Pitt in "The Devil's Own" too. On the Preacher board back in the day there were a few pluggers saying that Reedus'd make a good Cassidy if they ever made a Preacher flick..how wrong they were. Colin Farrell'd be the best Cass by far anyways, with the "look ah me like dah an' I'll bleedin' stab ya ya poxy fuck" swagger, fake or not. But I'm veering off the point (as usual).

So tell me this and tell me no more - do you like it, hate it, are you indifferent - and why? I need closure, damn it!

WTF?!...this movie was great. It was funny, had its share of action...and it was just right out cool. If you like this genre of flickers, then you would understand. Snatch , lock stock and 2 smoking barrels ...they are awsome movies. I will however, turn this over to SiBob, and let him school the class on Boondock.

alrigty, i havent' posted very many reviews as of late, but i'll comment about the saints movie. I haven't seen 2 smokin barrels, but i have seen snatch. this movie does not deserve to be held alongside of snatch. But it's not a bad movie either. as a fan of woo and mayhem, i really like the scene with dafoe outside the house, with the other guys shootin the shit out of the house. It's fun, funny, and has its moments. the guy with the beard really made this movie annoying. he's not jar jar, but he's damn annoying.

the story and writing didn't bring anything new like snatch did. The ending with the comments about the main characters was neat, but everyone knows it's been done before. I'm a big fan of natural born killers, so i see this one borrowing that idea.

i definately understand where 2track is coming from though. so much acclaim for this movie, but it's just "fun." for fun, i find the big hit more enjoyable.

Yeah, the bit with Dafoe at the house was good, but that was perhaps the only redeeming feature. Actually, scratch that - I'll give Dafoe the alley-way scene as well, but it's just scraping by the acting by the cops was so atrocious I cringed.

Troy Duffy tries to bite Tarantino quite a bit, and as usual with directors that attempt to emulate Tarantino, comes up short. Also although the editing is good for the most part, I've never seen so many fadeouts since that last R. Kelly video (not the sex one :D ).

The idea was good, but I just don't think that the film was cast well...besides Dafoe and Billy Connolly, the only non-Mick that provided a good Irish accent, damn good actually. A script doctor may've been a good idea as well as some of the dialogue was pretty fucking awful. Then again, it could've just been the deliveries.

As for the "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock..." comparisons, "Boondock Saints" doesn't hold a candle to either of these flicks. While both of them were funny as hell (the Scousers in "Loc, Stock", Mickey in "Snatch") but all attempts at humor in "Boondock Saints" was cringe-worthy.

I thought it was great. It had flaws, sure, but every movie does. Overall, it's a movie I still enjoy watch dispite having seen it a dozen or more times. Plus, your post here is the first bad thing i've heard about Boondock Saints, but considering you're taste in movies, I'll take that as a ringing endorsement. I mean, don't you hate all movies whose titles don't start with "Bill and Ted's"

Archived