Hondo's Bar

Favorite RPG's

The NZA

Man, i hope Coley comes back soon, so im not just talkin to myself on this one... ???

So, my favorites series go:

1) Xenosaga/Xenogears

2) Shenmue

3) Suikoden

4) Lunar

5) Final Fantasy

(Zelda doesnt count, cause its an adventure game. Phantasy Star will go back up there when the next chapter's not an MMORPG, and if there was another american chapter, id love to put Earthbound up there :D ...runner up to Chrono Trigger)

Xeno has an unbelievable story, really deep in philosophy, religion, and politics, with great characterization along the way....very controversial series.

Shenmue is the greatest, most ambitions one ive played overall: a single player quest leading Ryo Hazuki from Japan to Hong Kong & around the world, searching for his father's killer, training for his revenge, but the developers basically filmed entire towns, so it feels like so much is going on around you...its probably the most envoloping sereis ive played, its a shame part II got slept on (i imported the dreamcast version with the subtitles, that shit was cool).

Suikdoen is a dramatic epic that rarely ends well, but it connects to one large history, and i cant wait till part IV comes out this winter. Half the fun is recuiring troops for your castle/army and watching it grow, no lie.

Ill let Coley speak of the wonders of Lunar when she's back, but FF...everyone knows the series, i just didnt go for X2 or XI (online), here's hopin for part XIII, since ten was really strong, in my eyes.

More on these great games (with pics!) later.

• 2 weeks later...

I looooooooooved FFXI!!! don't diss it! haha

and Pen and Paper RPG's are the shiz. When I was in middle school, my friend Carrie and I would hax0r that shit all night long. We had this one going called The Black Rose and it had to do with Vampires. She's a really awesome artist, so she would sketch our characters and landmarks and things. It could have prolly been turned into a book.

: D

Are they like D & D an' that? Used to play an improv like that @ boarding school... I forget the Japanese name (& the rest of the series) but the sequel to Secret of Mana was pretty boss. FFIV was prolly my pick of the series, and how does Pokemon count in the RPG stakes?

???

1) This is not a poll. Say which RPGs you like, and why you like em, panch!

2) Pen and paper RPG's are just that: kids sit at a table, designate what their roles are, and one guy makes up scenarios. They write thigns down with pen & paper, rolling dice, etc. as opposed to the RPGs i was shootin for here, the interative visual/audio ones that have a story unfolding as you go, like the Final Fantasy series.

Skeet skeet skeet - Legend of Mana, the PSX one? Or the japanese sequel, Seiken Densetsu III? I liked that that series used to be 2-player.

FF VI cant be touched, in terms of plot, characterization, soundtrack etc, my opinion...that thing was a masterpiece. Pokemon's an RPG, i suppose, more of an adventure game, but..i mean, it is turn based, tho.

Yeah, man, go for it if you want, ill join in.

I just didnt want that, cause polls dont always get people talkin, you know? And its not like you can say "I dig Final Fantasy" over Earthbound, when there's like 12 of the former, and one (in the US) of the later, you know?

I just want people to say what their favorite RPG's are, and why....characters, parts, etc.

If you disagree, and really want a poll, go for it tho man.

Haha..glad to hear it.

Legend of Mana...its something. For one, its gorgeous, good music and all. But very, very open-ended....as i recall, it was about beating a level, with the same mana-style combat (which was the cool 2-player option), but it was weird....youd win a seed, to plant a town, basically, and it struck me as Sim City-like, cause you could grow different things by placing these seeds in certain proximity of each other.

I know it sounds even weirder. There's a ton of mini-quests, side ventures and such, so its fun. But at the end, it almost felt like there was no linear plot, no point holding it together...was very uneventful when i finished it, but it was fun gettin there, anyway.

If you see it cheap, or can rent it, go for it, if youre a fan of the series. Just dont expect a big plot like you got in the previous installments.

My fave RPG? Honestly? The ultra-rare Drunken RPG. Not because of the bragging rights, but because it was fun actually making it...

Hey... There's a rumor that the creator might actually make a sequel - Drunken RPG II - Drunk at Hondo's.

:D Holy shit! i never imagined a sequel...that'd be badass!

Yeah, i was forunate enough to be one of the few to have Drunken RPG...sadly, since it isntalled unkown files to my windows directory (and the original disc was lost, im still blamin Yahven), i couldnt distribute it the way i wanted to, but i made sure to never format my hard drive, and have shown almost every board member who's come by since.

God knows idve worked & worked to beat those awful island bitches if i thought i ever had a chance! :D

So yeah, if 2 is in production & needs any help, just say the word. When there's betas & such, much less a full release, this time around, ill not only distrubte to whoever wants in, ill try to host it here too. Im backin this project 100%, its such a cool ass idea.

Yeah, I kinda figured since most people around on the board these days weren't around... And I have way too much time on my hands again... Why not?

Yes production has officially begun. What I need help with right now is ideas... input.

Oh, shit, sorry skeet skeet skeet skeet

basically, Benny made an RPG for the board a few years back, it was cool..made over a Final Fantasy VI/Dragon Warrior enginge. Oringinal engine was more Kings Quest like, but this one looked like a classic SNES game, but with customizable graphics, dialogue, etc...cool shit.

Man, new Xenosaga and Suikoden by the year's end....if i get one other board member who's played any of those, id be happy.

That, or an announcement on Shenmue 3.

Archived